Monday, November 28, 2022 — Houston, TX

Administration imposes indoor alcohol ban effective immediately

breaking-news

By Talha Arif     8/30/21 10:02pm

The Crisis Management Advisory Committee and the Office of the Dean of Undergraduates have enacted an indoor alcohol ban effective immediately and until further notice, according to multiple emails from college magisters obtained by the Thresher. 

Alcohol will still be allowed at registered outdoor events, according to an email sent by Duncan College Magister Eden King.

“This is a campus-wide, temporary policy that is part of the Crisis Management Team's adjustments in response to the positive cases on campus over the past week,” King wrote.

This news follows 40 positive COVID-19 cases reported through Rice’s testing system in the past week, with twelve additional tests reported from off-campus testing. Consumption of alcohol was originally permitted in an email from Gorman on Aug. 24 with restrictions on cross-college events.

More information will be provided on Sept. 2 by Dean of Undergraduates Bridget Gorman, according to Will Rice College Magister Matthew Bennett’s email.

This story will be updated as more information emerges.

Tech layoffs, hiring freezes hit Rice community

As layoff and hiring freezes increase across the tech industry, computer science students and alumni are among those at Rice expressing concern for their current and future job prospects. In recent weeks, Elon Musk halved Twitter’s staff, Meta said it was firing 11,000 employees, Amazon announced plans to cut approximately 10,000 jobs and other tech firms such as Lyft and Stripe also announced layoffs.

RUPD launches Food for Fines initiative

The Rice University Police Department launched a “Food for Fines” initiative, during which students can donate food and hygiene items to cover unpaid parking tickets. From Nov. 15 to Nov. 17, students can bring products to PCF 1 anytime from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.