Monday, July 04, 2022 — Houston, TX

Administration imposes indoor alcohol ban effective immediately

breaking-news

By Talha Arif     8/30/21 10:02pm

The Crisis Management Advisory Committee and the Office of the Dean of Undergraduates have enacted an indoor alcohol ban effective immediately and until further notice, according to multiple emails from college magisters obtained by the Thresher. 

Alcohol will still be allowed at registered outdoor events, according to an email sent by Duncan College Magister Eden King.

“This is a campus-wide, temporary policy that is part of the Crisis Management Team's adjustments in response to the positive cases on campus over the past week,” King wrote.

This news follows 40 positive COVID-19 cases reported through Rice’s testing system in the past week, with twelve additional tests reported from off-campus testing. Consumption of alcohol was originally permitted in an email from Gorman on Aug. 24 with restrictions on cross-college events.

More information will be provided on Sept. 2 by Dean of Undergraduates Bridget Gorman, according to Will Rice College Magister Matthew Bennett’s email.

This story will be updated as more information emerges.

Michigan professor Amy Dittmar named Rice’s next provost

Amy Dittmar, the senior vice provost for academic and budgetary affairs and a professor of economics and finance at the University of Michigan, has been selected as Rice’s new provost, incoming president Reginald DesRoches announced Thursday. DesRoches, the current provost, will become Rice’s president on July 1, and Dittmar will start August 1.

SA drafts formal complaint against Chi Alpha after discrimination accusations

The Student Association executive board drafted a formal complaint against the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship to present to University Court for violation of the SA Constitution nondiscrimination policy that every Rice organization is required to adhere to. This complaint comes in light of the recently published Thresher article, where several students shared their experience with discrimation within the club on the basis of sexual orientation.