Saturday, November 27, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Administration imposes indoor alcohol ban effective immediately

breaking-news

By Talha Arif     8/30/21 10:02pm

The Crisis Management Advisory Committee and the Office of the Dean of Undergraduates have enacted an indoor alcohol ban effective immediately and until further notice, according to multiple emails from college magisters obtained by the Thresher. 

Alcohol will still be allowed at registered outdoor events, according to an email sent by Duncan College Magister Eden King.

“This is a campus-wide, temporary policy that is part of the Crisis Management Team's adjustments in response to the positive cases on campus over the past week,” King wrote.

This news follows 40 positive COVID-19 cases reported through Rice’s testing system in the past week, with twelve additional tests reported from off-campus testing. Consumption of alcohol was originally permitted in an email from Gorman on Aug. 24 with restrictions on cross-college events.

More information will be provided on Sept. 2 by Dean of Undergraduates Bridget Gorman, according to Will Rice College Magister Matthew Bennett’s email.

This story will be updated as more information emerges.

Students introduce resolution at SA Senate to relocate WMR statue

Students demanded that Rice University remove William Marsh Rice’s statue from the Central Academic Quadrangle to a new, non-prominent location by the end of this academic year, during the Nov. 15 Student Association Senate meeting. The SA will vote on the resolution Nov. 29, according to SA President Kendall Vining.

REFS held on Nov. 12 to discuss financing energy transition

The 13th annual Rice Energy and Finance Summit was held at McNair Hall in the Jones Graduate School of Business on Friday, Nov. 12. The goal of the event was to discuss how to finance the transition to renewable energy resources, according to the school’s website and event information.