Saturday, July 24, 2021 — Houston, TX 77°

Rice announces student vaccine requirement for fall semester

20170911-campus-sunrise-fall-2017-3
Courtesy Rice University

By Prayag Gordy     5/29/21 8:47am

All members of the Rice community are expected to return in person for the fall and all students who come to campus are expected to be fully vaccinated before the fall semester, President David Leebron announced in an email Friday. Students who receive a medical or religious waiver must continue to test weekly and wear a mask indoors, according to the email.

Employees are not required to be vaccinated, Leebron wrote. Staff and faculty who opt against vaccination must test weekly and wear a mask indoors.

Doug Miller, director of news and media relations, said the administration will provide more information about vaccinations on June 14.

Leebron also announced Rice’s goal to vaccinate at least 90 percent of the campus community. Approximately 80 percent of Rice students, staff and faculty have indicated that they have been vaccinated through Rice’s survey.

International students are subject to the vaccine requirement, which Leebron said he recognizes can be difficult.

“We know this [vaccine requirement] will pose problems for some of our international students, but we will work with them to ensure that they get the vaccine upon arrival and to avoid delays in their academic program,” Leebron wrote.

During the fall semester, Rice will hold forums to discuss how pandemic-era accommodations, such as online education and a larger focus on community health, should be incorporated moving forward, according to Leebron.

“In addition to focusing on campus safety, it is important that we reflect on the ways in which our university is different than it was prior to the pandemic,” Leebron wrote. “We want your thoughts on how we can apply the experiences and the lessons we’ve learned during this unique time.”

Task force calls for ‘bold change’ of academic quad, potentially relocating Willy’s statue

The Task Force on Slavery, Segregation and Racial Injustice unanimously called for a competition to redesign the academic quad and for further campus-wide events and discussions to educate the Rice community about the university’s founder. Though the task force did recommend an end to the statue’s position as “an iconic image of the university in its publicity,” they stopped short of endorsing the removal of William Marsh Rice’s statue.

Leebron to step down in 2022, reflects on past years

President David Leebron announced that he will be stepping down from his role after this coming academic year on June 30, 2022 in an email to the Rice community Tuesday morning. Next year will mark Leebron’s 18th year as president after taking on the position in 2004.