Sunday, September 26, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Rice announces student vaccine requirement for fall semester

20170911-campus-sunrise-fall-2017-3
Courtesy Rice University

By Prayag Gordy     5/29/21 8:47am

All members of the Rice community are expected to return in person for the fall and all students who come to campus are expected to be fully vaccinated before the fall semester, President David Leebron announced in an email Friday. Students who receive a medical or religious waiver must continue to test weekly and wear a mask indoors, according to the email.

Employees are not required to be vaccinated, Leebron wrote. Staff and faculty who opt against vaccination must test weekly and wear a mask indoors.

Doug Miller, director of news and media relations, said the administration will provide more information about vaccinations on June 14.

Leebron also announced Rice’s goal to vaccinate at least 90 percent of the campus community. Approximately 80 percent of Rice students, staff and faculty have indicated that they have been vaccinated through Rice’s survey.

International students are subject to the vaccine requirement, which Leebron said he recognizes can be difficult.

“We know this [vaccine requirement] will pose problems for some of our international students, but we will work with them to ensure that they get the vaccine upon arrival and to avoid delays in their academic program,” Leebron wrote.

During the fall semester, Rice will hold forums to discuss how pandemic-era accommodations, such as online education and a larger focus on community health, should be incorporated moving forward, according to Leebron.

“In addition to focusing on campus safety, it is important that we reflect on the ways in which our university is different than it was prior to the pandemic,” Leebron wrote. “We want your thoughts on how we can apply the experiences and the lessons we’ve learned during this unique time.”

Working group proposes changes to undergraduate education requirements

Two recommendations, including introducing themes into distribution courses and removing prerequisites from distribution offerings, have been proposed to alter the undergraduate curriculum requirements by the General Education Faculty Working Group, according to Douglas Schuler, associate professor of business and public policy. Schuler presented these working group recommendations at the Sept. 20 Student Association Senate, after presenting them at the Sept. 1 Faculty Senate meeting.

Majority of classes return to in-person instruction this week and next

The majority of classes with 50 or more students will transition back to in-person learning between Sept. 20 and Sept. 27, following an email from the Office of the Provost announcing this return. Previously, courses with 50 or more students were kept online, even as other classes returned to in-person learning after the second week of the semester, according to an email from the Office of the Provost on Sept. 2.

Rice working to launch diversity and inclusion course for first-year students

​​Rice University student leaders and faculty are currently working to develop a required course on diversity and inclusion for freshmen, according to Alexander Byrd, the vice provost for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Byrd said that in the past, Rice was not sufficiently diverse to adequately reflect on and begin addressing social problems that the university faces.