Weekly Scenes and Screens: Apr. 7

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     4/6/21 8:34pm

BLCK MARKET 

Head out to the Buffalo Soldiers National Museum this Saturday, April 10 from 1-5 p.m. for the return of BLCK Market Houston, the city’s largest gathering of Black-owned businesses and entrepreneurs. A limited number of free admission tickets are available for advanced purchase online. Customers and vendors are required to wear masks.

VISIONARY FUTURES

This weekend, DiverseWorks will close out Visionary Futures — a series of art projects exploring futurity from the perspective of six non-binary artists of color. Available on DiverseWorks’ YouTube channel, catch performances and roundtable discussions from these dynamic local artists. View the exhibition schedule here

ART ON SCREEN

This annual film series hosted by University of Houston Public Art returns this Saturday, April 5. In addition to art tours of the Cullen Performance Hall, this year’s series will feature films that made revolutionary strides in color such as “The Wizard of Oz.” Tickets start at $5 per screening and are available for advance purchase online

SPACE KIDDETTES

Local Houston new wave pop duo Space Kidettes will perform at a Wonky Power Live Session this Thursday, April 8 at 8:30 p.m. Tickets to the in-person studio concert are $10, and attendees must wear masks, social distance and comply with temperature checks. The performance will also be streamed for free at wonkypower.com. 

Review: Matt Champion navigates love and other intimacies in ‘Mika’s Laundry’

The end of the “best boy band since One Direction” (i.e., BROCKHAMPTON) was especially sad for the insufferable people who spammed their songs in high school, but equally exciting as it inevitably presented the opportunity for solo projects. Among the prospective solo projects, perhaps the most exciting — for me, anyway — was that of the former-collective member, Matt Champion.  

Review: ‘TYLA’ is a refreshing, self-assured debut

At 22 years old, singer Tyla has already seen a level of success most musicians can only dream of. In the past year, she’s had her viral, platinum-certified hit “Water” top the Billboard U.S. Afrobeats Songs chart, collaborated with Travis Scott and Summer Walker and won the first-ever Grammy for Best African Music Performance.