Sunday, October 24, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Apr. 7

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     4/6/21 8:34pm

BLCK MARKET 

Head out to the Buffalo Soldiers National Museum this Saturday, April 10 from 1-5 p.m. for the return of BLCK Market Houston, the city’s largest gathering of Black-owned businesses and entrepreneurs. A limited number of free admission tickets are available for advanced purchase online. Customers and vendors are required to wear masks.

VISIONARY FUTURES

This weekend, DiverseWorks will close out Visionary Futures — a series of art projects exploring futurity from the perspective of six non-binary artists of color. Available on DiverseWorks’ YouTube channel, catch performances and roundtable discussions from these dynamic local artists. View the exhibition schedule here

ART ON SCREEN

This annual film series hosted by University of Houston Public Art returns this Saturday, April 5. In addition to art tours of the Cullen Performance Hall, this year’s series will feature films that made revolutionary strides in color such as “The Wizard of Oz.” Tickets start at $5 per screening and are available for advance purchase online

SPACE KIDDETTES

Local Houston new wave pop duo Space Kidettes will perform at a Wonky Power Live Session this Thursday, April 8 at 8:30 p.m. Tickets to the in-person studio concert are $10, and attendees must wear masks, social distance and comply with temperature checks. The performance will also be streamed for free at wonkypower.com. 

Spice it Up: Fall Playlist

Now that fall and the return of autumn seasonal drinks have finally rolled around, it is time to (pumpkin) spice up our playlists. Whether you use Spotify or Apple Music (and, yes, there is a correct answer), here are some good options to add to your queue. This playlist offers plenty of different genres and languages, ranging from Funk to Bossa Nova and from Korean to Hebrew that you may not have heard before. 

Dining on a budget near campus

By this point in the semester, it’s understandable to begin lacking emotional excitement for servery food. We’ve all had our fair share of grilled chicken, caesar salads and fries, which have become somewhat repetitive for the palate. Luckily, Houston is a culinary extravaganza for lovers of all cuisines. If you’re looking for new, fresh bites, take a look at four affordable restaurants close to campus for your next meal.

Review: FINNEAS’s pervasive hopefulness and emotional songwriting shine in ‘Optimist’

“Optimist” expands upon FINNEAS’s melancholy songwriting and production skills to create a compelling and interesting debut album. FINNEAS is largely known for collaborations with his sister, Billie Eilish, who he produces and co-writes songs with. However, he also previously released an excellent EP, “Blood Harmony,” and an array of singles. FINNEAS’s first full-length album continues the lyricism seen in previous stand-out tracks like “I Lost a Friend” and “I Don’t Miss You at All,” albeit with a slightly different feeling reminiscent of Billie’s more introspective “Happier Than Ever.”