Monday, April 19, 2021 — Houston, TX 61°

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Apr. 7

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     4/6/21 8:34pm

BLCK MARKET 

Head out to the Buffalo Soldiers National Museum this Saturday, April 10 from 1-5 p.m. for the return of BLCK Market Houston, the city’s largest gathering of Black-owned businesses and entrepreneurs. A limited number of free admission tickets are available for advanced purchase online. Customers and vendors are required to wear masks.

VISIONARY FUTURES

This weekend, DiverseWorks will close out Visionary Futures — a series of art projects exploring futurity from the perspective of six non-binary artists of color. Available on DiverseWorks’ YouTube channel, catch performances and roundtable discussions from these dynamic local artists. View the exhibition schedule here

ART ON SCREEN

This annual film series hosted by University of Houston Public Art returns this Saturday, April 5. In addition to art tours of the Cullen Performance Hall, this year’s series will feature films that made revolutionary strides in color such as “The Wizard of Oz.” Tickets start at $5 per screening and are available for advance purchase online

SPACE KIDDETTES

Local Houston new wave pop duo Space Kidettes will perform at a Wonky Power Live Session this Thursday, April 8 at 8:30 p.m. Tickets to the in-person studio concert are $10, and attendees must wear masks, social distance and comply with temperature checks. The performance will also be streamed for free at wonkypower.com. 

Review: Taylor Swift reclaims her artistry with re-recorded album “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)”

Fans got their first taste of Taylor Swift’s re-recorded album, “Fearless (Taylor’s Version),” when a snippet of “Love Story” was used in Ryan Reynolds’ Tinder commercial last December. The full album was released on April 9 and includes remastered versions of every song from the platinum edition of Swift’s 2008 album, “Fearless,” along with six unreleased songs “from the vault” that were cut from the original project. The re-release is largely unchanged from the original in terms of her familiar vocals on fan-favorite singles like “You Belong With Me.” Still, the album epitomizes the singer-songwriter’s artistic growth over the past decade and serves as the first step to Swift regaining ownership of her music, making “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)” a worthwhile listen for returning fans and new listeners alike.  

KTRU Outdoor Show brings music, art to campus scene and virtual screens

As the close of the semester approaches, KTRU wants to help end the academic year on a high note. KTRU’s annual Outdoor Show will round out the end of the semester — albeit in a different format than what we have seen in years past. On April 24 from 12 p.m. to 10 p.m., the Rice community will have the chance to gather in the central quad — distanced and masked — for what Katelyn Landry, this year’s organizer for ODS, called a “mini music and art festival.” This year’s show will consist of screenings and livestreams of artists’ pre-recorded sets, an art installation, Houston food trucks on sight and an opportunity for the Rice community to connect with each other through music and art whether in-person or virtually.