Sunday, August 01, 2021 — Houston, TX 87°

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Apr. 7

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     4/6/21 8:34pm

BLCK MARKET 

Head out to the Buffalo Soldiers National Museum this Saturday, April 10 from 1-5 p.m. for the return of BLCK Market Houston, the city’s largest gathering of Black-owned businesses and entrepreneurs. A limited number of free admission tickets are available for advanced purchase online. Customers and vendors are required to wear masks.

VISIONARY FUTURES

This weekend, DiverseWorks will close out Visionary Futures — a series of art projects exploring futurity from the perspective of six non-binary artists of color. Available on DiverseWorks’ YouTube channel, catch performances and roundtable discussions from these dynamic local artists. View the exhibition schedule here

ART ON SCREEN

This annual film series hosted by University of Houston Public Art returns this Saturday, April 5. In addition to art tours of the Cullen Performance Hall, this year’s series will feature films that made revolutionary strides in color such as “The Wizard of Oz.” Tickets start at $5 per screening and are available for advance purchase online

SPACE KIDDETTES

Local Houston new wave pop duo Space Kidettes will perform at a Wonky Power Live Session this Thursday, April 8 at 8:30 p.m. Tickets to the in-person studio concert are $10, and attendees must wear masks, social distance and comply with temperature checks. The performance will also be streamed for free at wonkypower.com. 

Where to find Houston’s best hot chicken sandwiches

When the Hoot brought the Popeyes spicy chicken sandwich to Rice in 2019, students formed a line that ran past the info desk to wait for it. Hot chicken is no recent phenomenon. The fried chicken, floured, fried and covered in a spice blend, hails from Nashville, Tennessee. Students may not realize that Houston’s hot chicken scene extends well beyond Popeyes, from food trucks to brick-and-mortar stores. The two of us, the Thresher’s self-proclaimed hot chicken connoisseurs, decided to venture beyond the hedges in search of the best Nashville hot chicken sandwich in Houston.