Sunday, October 24, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Apr. 28

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     4/27/21 11:01pm

RICE CINEMA FAREWELL

Rice Cinema will bid farewell to the Rice Media Center next week by presenting the final installment of its Low-Fi analog film series on May 6 at 7 p.m., and the program’s annual student film showcase, “Flicks,” on May 7 at 7 p.m. Registration is required and seating is limited for both events. Don’t miss these final opportunities to attend a screening at Rice Cinema this semester before the Media Center is demolished later this year. 

IT IS WHAT IT IS

The visual and dramatic arts department will host its annual Senior Art Show at Sewall Hall (4th floor studios) from April 29 – May 14. This year’s show, “it is what it is,” will feature a diverse array of artwork completed over the course of the academic year by 18 seniors graduating from the visual and dramatic arts department. 

DIMENSIONS VARIABLE

The Moody Center for the Arts invites the Rice community to practice mindfulness and contemplate the transformative power of the arts at “Dimensions Variable,” a free, in-person public event on May 1 from 4-6 p.m. Activities include meditation sessions, a crystal bowl presentation, a traditional Japanese tea ceremony, outdoor music and more. Advance registration is required. 

NOCTURNAL SENIOR SPOTLIGHT

Nocturnal a capella will send off its six graduating seniors with a special live concert this Saturday, May 1 from 6-7 p.m. in Smith Courtyard. Each graduating member will be featured as a soloist in songs of their choice. Don’t miss your chance to hear these songbirds before they fly the nest!

Spice it Up: Fall Playlist

Now that fall and the return of autumn seasonal drinks have finally rolled around, it is time to (pumpkin) spice up our playlists. Whether you use Spotify or Apple Music (and, yes, there is a correct answer), here are some good options to add to your queue. This playlist offers plenty of different genres and languages, ranging from Funk to Bossa Nova and from Korean to Hebrew that you may not have heard before. 

Dining on a budget near campus

By this point in the semester, it’s understandable to begin lacking emotional excitement for servery food. We’ve all had our fair share of grilled chicken, caesar salads and fries, which have become somewhat repetitive for the palate. Luckily, Houston is a culinary extravaganza for lovers of all cuisines. If you’re looking for new, fresh bites, take a look at four affordable restaurants close to campus for your next meal.

Review: FINNEAS’s pervasive hopefulness and emotional songwriting shine in ‘Optimist’

“Optimist” expands upon FINNEAS’s melancholy songwriting and production skills to create a compelling and interesting debut album. FINNEAS is largely known for collaborations with his sister, Billie Eilish, who he produces and co-writes songs with. However, he also previously released an excellent EP, “Blood Harmony,” and an array of singles. FINNEAS’s first full-length album continues the lyricism seen in previous stand-out tracks like “I Lost a Friend” and “I Don’t Miss You at All,” albeit with a slightly different feeling reminiscent of Billie’s more introspective “Happier Than Ever.”