Sunday, August 01, 2021 — Houston, TX 87°

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Apr. 28

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     4/27/21 11:01pm

RICE CINEMA FAREWELL

Rice Cinema will bid farewell to the Rice Media Center next week by presenting the final installment of its Low-Fi analog film series on May 6 at 7 p.m., and the program’s annual student film showcase, “Flicks,” on May 7 at 7 p.m. Registration is required and seating is limited for both events. Don’t miss these final opportunities to attend a screening at Rice Cinema this semester before the Media Center is demolished later this year. 

IT IS WHAT IT IS

The visual and dramatic arts department will host its annual Senior Art Show at Sewall Hall (4th floor studios) from April 29 – May 14. This year’s show, “it is what it is,” will feature a diverse array of artwork completed over the course of the academic year by 18 seniors graduating from the visual and dramatic arts department. 

DIMENSIONS VARIABLE

The Moody Center for the Arts invites the Rice community to practice mindfulness and contemplate the transformative power of the arts at “Dimensions Variable,” a free, in-person public event on May 1 from 4-6 p.m. Activities include meditation sessions, a crystal bowl presentation, a traditional Japanese tea ceremony, outdoor music and more. Advance registration is required. 

NOCTURNAL SENIOR SPOTLIGHT

Nocturnal a capella will send off its six graduating seniors with a special live concert this Saturday, May 1 from 6-7 p.m. in Smith Courtyard. Each graduating member will be featured as a soloist in songs of their choice. Don’t miss your chance to hear these songbirds before they fly the nest!

Where to find Houston’s best hot chicken sandwiches

When the Hoot brought the Popeyes spicy chicken sandwich to Rice in 2019, students formed a line that ran past the info desk to wait for it. Hot chicken is no recent phenomenon. The fried chicken, floured, fried and covered in a spice blend, hails from Nashville, Tennessee. Students may not realize that Houston’s hot chicken scene extends well beyond Popeyes, from food trucks to brick-and-mortar stores. The two of us, the Thresher’s self-proclaimed hot chicken connoisseurs, decided to venture beyond the hedges in search of the best Nashville hot chicken sandwich in Houston. 

Capturing the Rise of Rice RAW.photography

This past month, RAW originally intended on collaborating with Rice Campanile to hold another photography competition open to all Rice students. However, the competition is currently placed on hold in order to give students more time to send in their submissions, as the organization is conscious of student’s workloads and adjusts its events to allow as many people as possible to submit.