Weekly Scenes and Screens: Apr. 28

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     4/27/21 11:01pm

RICE CINEMA FAREWELL

Rice Cinema will bid farewell to the Rice Media Center next week by presenting the final installment of its Low-Fi analog film series on May 6 at 7 p.m., and the program’s annual student film showcase, “Flicks,” on May 7 at 7 p.m. Registration is required and seating is limited for both events. Don’t miss these final opportunities to attend a screening at Rice Cinema this semester before the Media Center is demolished later this year. 

IT IS WHAT IT IS

The visual and dramatic arts department will host its annual Senior Art Show at Sewall Hall (4th floor studios) from April 29 – May 14. This year’s show, “it is what it is,” will feature a diverse array of artwork completed over the course of the academic year by 18 seniors graduating from the visual and dramatic arts department. 

DIMENSIONS VARIABLE

The Moody Center for the Arts invites the Rice community to practice mindfulness and contemplate the transformative power of the arts at “Dimensions Variable,” a free, in-person public event on May 1 from 4-6 p.m. Activities include meditation sessions, a crystal bowl presentation, a traditional Japanese tea ceremony, outdoor music and more. Advance registration is required. 

NOCTURNAL SENIOR SPOTLIGHT

Nocturnal a capella will send off its six graduating seniors with a special live concert this Saturday, May 1 from 6-7 p.m. in Smith Courtyard. Each graduating member will be featured as a soloist in songs of their choice. Don’t miss your chance to hear these songbirds before they fly the nest!

Museum fellows talk art, academia and experiential learning

On Monday mornings at 8 a.m., Ella Langridge walks upstairs to her desk at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens and gets to work, sifting through photocopies of Americana and decorative arts with pasts unknown. Langridge’s job, as this year’s Jameson Fellow for American Painting & Decorative Arts, is to research these artifacts, uncover their histories and communicate their uniquely American stories to the collection’s thousands of annual visitors. 

Review: ‘Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire’ is Peak Cinema

There is no easy way to quantify a film, much to the chagrin of lazy film critics and lazier audiences. We may try to force a movie to fit into a box labeled ⅗ or ⅘ , but occasionally, there appears a work of art that refuses such indignity. A breathtaking fabrication that rejects the premise of a “rating,” whatever that monstrous practice might entail. These magna opera simply are. Along this line of thought, it makes sense to characterize this film for what it is, rather than lambast it for what it is not. This movie is about giant monkeys and lizards fighting. 

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.