Sunday, October 24, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Apr. 21

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     4/20/21 6:39pm

BYOCHAIR: CASABLANCA

Rice Cinema will host an outdoor screening of the classic Hollywood romance “Casablanca'' this Saturday, April 24 at 8 p.m. in Brochstein Plaza, the outdoor space in front of the Welcome Center at Sewall Hall. RSVP is required to attend. Check in between 7-7:45 p.m. with a mask and your own chair to enjoy the film!

EARTH DAY CLOTHING SWAP

Join the Rice Women’s Resource Center in Wiess Quad this Wednesday, April 21 from 7:30-9:30 p.m. as they celebrate Earth Day with a clothing swap and film screening of a documentary on sustainable fashion. Students joining the clothes swap should bring only a few curated pieces, ensure they’re in good shape and cleaned beforehand. 

SUSFOODS

Try free plant-based food and pick up some fair trade items at Susfoods, an Earth Day event hosted by RISE Today and the SA Environmental Committee this Thursday, April 22. Sign up to attend a 30-minute shift between 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Ray’s Courtyard where you can learn more about sustainable consumerism. 

SPRING BIANNUAL ART SHOW

Sawyer Yards is hosting its 2021 Spring Biannual Art Show this Saturday April 24 from 5-9 p.m. Six Houston galleries will participate in this immersive art experience where visitors can meet artists and shop original artworks. The show is free and open to the public. Visitors are asked to socially distance and respect artists who require masks in their studios. See the full list of participating galleries online at sawyeryards.com.  

Spice it Up: Fall Playlist

Now that fall and the return of autumn seasonal drinks have finally rolled around, it is time to (pumpkin) spice up our playlists. Whether you use Spotify or Apple Music (and, yes, there is a correct answer), here are some good options to add to your queue. This playlist offers plenty of different genres and languages, ranging from Funk to Bossa Nova and from Korean to Hebrew that you may not have heard before. 

Dining on a budget near campus

By this point in the semester, it’s understandable to begin lacking emotional excitement for servery food. We’ve all had our fair share of grilled chicken, caesar salads and fries, which have become somewhat repetitive for the palate. Luckily, Houston is a culinary extravaganza for lovers of all cuisines. If you’re looking for new, fresh bites, take a look at four affordable restaurants close to campus for your next meal.

Review: FINNEAS’s pervasive hopefulness and emotional songwriting shine in ‘Optimist’

“Optimist” expands upon FINNEAS’s melancholy songwriting and production skills to create a compelling and interesting debut album. FINNEAS is largely known for collaborations with his sister, Billie Eilish, who he produces and co-writes songs with. However, he also previously released an excellent EP, “Blood Harmony,” and an array of singles. FINNEAS’s first full-length album continues the lyricism seen in previous stand-out tracks like “I Lost a Friend” and “I Don’t Miss You at All,” albeit with a slightly different feeling reminiscent of Billie’s more introspective “Happier Than Ever.”