Wednesday, May 25, 2022 — Houston, TX

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Apr. 21

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     4/20/21 6:39pm

BYOCHAIR: CASABLANCA

Rice Cinema will host an outdoor screening of the classic Hollywood romance “Casablanca'' this Saturday, April 24 at 8 p.m. in Brochstein Plaza, the outdoor space in front of the Welcome Center at Sewall Hall. RSVP is required to attend. Check in between 7-7:45 p.m. with a mask and your own chair to enjoy the film!

EARTH DAY CLOTHING SWAP

Join the Rice Women’s Resource Center in Wiess Quad this Wednesday, April 21 from 7:30-9:30 p.m. as they celebrate Earth Day with a clothing swap and film screening of a documentary on sustainable fashion. Students joining the clothes swap should bring only a few curated pieces, ensure they’re in good shape and cleaned beforehand. 

SUSFOODS

Try free plant-based food and pick up some fair trade items at Susfoods, an Earth Day event hosted by RISE Today and the SA Environmental Committee this Thursday, April 22. Sign up to attend a 30-minute shift between 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Ray’s Courtyard where you can learn more about sustainable consumerism. 

SPRING BIANNUAL ART SHOW

Sawyer Yards is hosting its 2021 Spring Biannual Art Show this Saturday April 24 from 5-9 p.m. Six Houston galleries will participate in this immersive art experience where visitors can meet artists and shop original artworks. The show is free and open to the public. Visitors are asked to socially distance and respect artists who require masks in their studios. See the full list of participating galleries online at sawyeryards.com.