Weekly Scenes and Screens: Apr. 21

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     4/20/21 6:39pm

BYOCHAIR: CASABLANCA

Rice Cinema will host an outdoor screening of the classic Hollywood romance “Casablanca'' this Saturday, April 24 at 8 p.m. in Brochstein Plaza, the outdoor space in front of the Welcome Center at Sewall Hall. RSVP is required to attend. Check in between 7-7:45 p.m. with a mask and your own chair to enjoy the film!

EARTH DAY CLOTHING SWAP

Join the Rice Women’s Resource Center in Wiess Quad this Wednesday, April 21 from 7:30-9:30 p.m. as they celebrate Earth Day with a clothing swap and film screening of a documentary on sustainable fashion. Students joining the clothes swap should bring only a few curated pieces, ensure they’re in good shape and cleaned beforehand. 

SUSFOODS

Try free plant-based food and pick up some fair trade items at Susfoods, an Earth Day event hosted by RISE Today and the SA Environmental Committee this Thursday, April 22. Sign up to attend a 30-minute shift between 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Ray’s Courtyard where you can learn more about sustainable consumerism. 

SPRING BIANNUAL ART SHOW

Sawyer Yards is hosting its 2021 Spring Biannual Art Show this Saturday April 24 from 5-9 p.m. Six Houston galleries will participate in this immersive art experience where visitors can meet artists and shop original artworks. The show is free and open to the public. Visitors are asked to socially distance and respect artists who require masks in their studios. See the full list of participating galleries online at sawyeryards.com.  

Museum fellows talk art, academia and experiential learning

On Monday mornings at 8 a.m., Ella Langridge walks upstairs to her desk at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens and gets to work, sifting through photocopies of Americana and decorative arts with pasts unknown. Langridge’s job, as this year’s Jameson Fellow for American Painting & Decorative Arts, is to research these artifacts, uncover their histories and communicate their uniquely American stories to the collection’s thousands of annual visitors. 

Review: ‘Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire’ is Peak Cinema

There is no easy way to quantify a film, much to the chagrin of lazy film critics and lazier audiences. We may try to force a movie to fit into a box labeled ⅗ or ⅘ , but occasionally, there appears a work of art that refuses such indignity. A breathtaking fabrication that rejects the premise of a “rating,” whatever that monstrous practice might entail. These magna opera simply are. Along this line of thought, it makes sense to characterize this film for what it is, rather than lambast it for what it is not. This movie is about giant monkeys and lizards fighting. 

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.