Wednesday, May 25, 2022 — Houston, TX

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Apr 14.

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     4/13/21 11:23pm

HERMANN PARK NATURE WALK

Get some fresh air this weekend with Rice professor of biosciences Even Siemann who will lead students on a nature walk through Hermann Park this Sunday, April 18. Students should sign up online in advance and gather at the Sallyport at 10 a.m. 

THE LARAMIE PROJECT

This Friday, the Rice Players will present “The Laramie Project,” a play about the murder of a young gay man, Matthew Shepherd, and its lasting impact on his small community of Laramie, Wyoming. The show will stream live online at 8 p.m. CST for free. However, tickets must be reserved through ShowTix4U. Content warning: violence, anti-LGBTQ+ hate.

EARTH DAY AT DISCOVERY GREEN

Celebrate Earth Day at Discovery Green this Saturday, April 18 from noon to 5 p.m. with films, food, art and more. Short films about Houston’s environment will screen from noon to 4 p.m., and visitors can enjoy live painting from 13 local artists and healthy snacks from Urban Harvest and Churrascos food truck throughout the day.

ARTISTS IN DIALOGUE

Join the Moody Center for the Arts for a conversation between Shirazeh Houshiary, a multidisciplinary visual artist based in London, and Enuma Okoro, a Nigerian-American writer, speaker and cultural curator based in New York City. The two artists will discuss the spiritual meaning of art during a virtual talk on Thursday, April 15 from noon to 1 p.m. Register here.