Weekly Scenes and Screens: Apr 14.

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     4/13/21 11:23pm

HERMANN PARK NATURE WALK

Get some fresh air this weekend with Rice professor of biosciences Even Siemann who will lead students on a nature walk through Hermann Park this Sunday, April 18. Students should sign up online in advance and gather at the Sallyport at 10 a.m. 

THE LARAMIE PROJECT

This Friday, the Rice Players will present “The Laramie Project,” a play about the murder of a young gay man, Matthew Shepherd, and its lasting impact on his small community of Laramie, Wyoming. The show will stream live online at 8 p.m. CST for free. However, tickets must be reserved through ShowTix4U. Content warning: violence, anti-LGBTQ+ hate.

EARTH DAY AT DISCOVERY GREEN

Celebrate Earth Day at Discovery Green this Saturday, April 18 from noon to 5 p.m. with films, food, art and more. Short films about Houston’s environment will screen from noon to 4 p.m., and visitors can enjoy live painting from 13 local artists and healthy snacks from Urban Harvest and Churrascos food truck throughout the day.

ARTISTS IN DIALOGUE

Join the Moody Center for the Arts for a conversation between Shirazeh Houshiary, a multidisciplinary visual artist based in London, and Enuma Okoro, a Nigerian-American writer, speaker and cultural curator based in New York City. The two artists will discuss the spiritual meaning of art during a virtual talk on Thursday, April 15 from noon to 1 p.m. Register here.

Museum fellows talk art, academia and experiential learning

On Monday mornings at 8 a.m., Ella Langridge walks upstairs to her desk at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens and gets to work, sifting through photocopies of Americana and decorative arts with pasts unknown. Langridge’s job, as this year’s Jameson Fellow for American Painting & Decorative Arts, is to research these artifacts, uncover their histories and communicate their uniquely American stories to the collection’s thousands of annual visitors. 

Review: ‘Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire’ is Peak Cinema

There is no easy way to quantify a film, much to the chagrin of lazy film critics and lazier audiences. We may try to force a movie to fit into a box labeled ⅗ or ⅘ , but occasionally, there appears a work of art that refuses such indignity. A breathtaking fabrication that rejects the premise of a “rating,” whatever that monstrous practice might entail. These magna opera simply are. Along this line of thought, it makes sense to characterize this film for what it is, rather than lambast it for what it is not. This movie is about giant monkeys and lizards fighting. 

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.