Sunday, October 24, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Apr 14.

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     4/13/21 11:23pm

HERMANN PARK NATURE WALK

Get some fresh air this weekend with Rice professor of biosciences Even Siemann who will lead students on a nature walk through Hermann Park this Sunday, April 18. Students should sign up online in advance and gather at the Sallyport at 10 a.m. 

THE LARAMIE PROJECT

This Friday, the Rice Players will present “The Laramie Project,” a play about the murder of a young gay man, Matthew Shepherd, and its lasting impact on his small community of Laramie, Wyoming. The show will stream live online at 8 p.m. CST for free. However, tickets must be reserved through ShowTix4U. Content warning: violence, anti-LGBTQ+ hate.

EARTH DAY AT DISCOVERY GREEN

Celebrate Earth Day at Discovery Green this Saturday, April 18 from noon to 5 p.m. with films, food, art and more. Short films about Houston’s environment will screen from noon to 4 p.m., and visitors can enjoy live painting from 13 local artists and healthy snacks from Urban Harvest and Churrascos food truck throughout the day.

ARTISTS IN DIALOGUE

Join the Moody Center for the Arts for a conversation between Shirazeh Houshiary, a multidisciplinary visual artist based in London, and Enuma Okoro, a Nigerian-American writer, speaker and cultural curator based in New York City. The two artists will discuss the spiritual meaning of art during a virtual talk on Thursday, April 15 from noon to 1 p.m. Register here.

Spice it Up: Fall Playlist

Now that fall and the return of autumn seasonal drinks have finally rolled around, it is time to (pumpkin) spice up our playlists. Whether you use Spotify or Apple Music (and, yes, there is a correct answer), here are some good options to add to your queue. This playlist offers plenty of different genres and languages, ranging from Funk to Bossa Nova and from Korean to Hebrew that you may not have heard before. 

Dining on a budget near campus

By this point in the semester, it’s understandable to begin lacking emotional excitement for servery food. We’ve all had our fair share of grilled chicken, caesar salads and fries, which have become somewhat repetitive for the palate. Luckily, Houston is a culinary extravaganza for lovers of all cuisines. If you’re looking for new, fresh bites, take a look at four affordable restaurants close to campus for your next meal.

Review: FINNEAS’s pervasive hopefulness and emotional songwriting shine in ‘Optimist’

“Optimist” expands upon FINNEAS’s melancholy songwriting and production skills to create a compelling and interesting debut album. FINNEAS is largely known for collaborations with his sister, Billie Eilish, who he produces and co-writes songs with. However, he also previously released an excellent EP, “Blood Harmony,” and an array of singles. FINNEAS’s first full-length album continues the lyricism seen in previous stand-out tracks like “I Lost a Friend” and “I Don’t Miss You at All,” albeit with a slightly different feeling reminiscent of Billie’s more introspective “Happier Than Ever.”