Weekly Scenes and Screens: Mar. 31

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     3/30/21 7:35am

ACAPELLOOZA

Treat your ears to the smooth sounds of Rice’s many a capella groups at Acapellooza, a collaborative online showcase streaming this Friday, April 2 at 8 p.m. The show’s link will be released on the Facebook event page later this week. For a communal viewing experience, sign up for a watch party at Brown or Lovett Colleges. 

DIY AT CAMH

Drop by the Contemporary Art Museum Houston to pick up a free art kit as part of the museum’s Open Studio event “Temporary Structures” this Saturday, April 3 from 2-4 p.m. The art kit will include supplies to create temporary paper sculptures inspired by the CAMH exhibition “Wild Life.” A limited supply of art kits is available, so grab yours early!

UH MFA THESIS EXHIBITION

See bodies of work from 12 Master of Fine Arts degree candidates from the University of Houston School of Art at the 43rd Annual MFA Thesis Exhibition, on view from March 27 to April 11 at the Blaffer Art Museum. Each candidate developed their pieces over the three-year proram, making the exhibit a rich display of diverse rising artists. 

ROLLING AT DISCOVERY GREEN

The outdoor roller rink at Discovery Green closes next Sunday, April 11. Don’t miss your chance to skate under the Houston skyline! Tickets are $12 including skate rental and must be purchased in advance. Masks are required.

Museum fellows talk art, academia and experiential learning

On Monday mornings at 8 a.m., Ella Langridge walks upstairs to her desk at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens and gets to work, sifting through photocopies of Americana and decorative arts with pasts unknown. Langridge’s job, as this year’s Jameson Fellow for American Painting & Decorative Arts, is to research these artifacts, uncover their histories and communicate their uniquely American stories to the collection’s thousands of annual visitors. 

Review: ‘Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire’ is Peak Cinema

There is no easy way to quantify a film, much to the chagrin of lazy film critics and lazier audiences. We may try to force a movie to fit into a box labeled ⅗ or ⅘ , but occasionally, there appears a work of art that refuses such indignity. A breathtaking fabrication that rejects the premise of a “rating,” whatever that monstrous practice might entail. These magna opera simply are. Along this line of thought, it makes sense to characterize this film for what it is, rather than lambast it for what it is not. This movie is about giant monkeys and lizards fighting. 

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.