Sunday, April 11, 2021 — Houston, TX 63°

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Mar. 31

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     3/30/21 7:35am

ACAPELLOOZA

Treat your ears to the smooth sounds of Rice’s many a capella groups at Acapellooza, a collaborative online showcase streaming this Friday, April 2 at 8 p.m. The show’s link will be released on the Facebook event page later this week. For a communal viewing experience, sign up for a watch party at Brown or Lovett Colleges. 

DIY AT CAMH

Drop by the Contemporary Art Museum Houston to pick up a free art kit as part of the museum’s Open Studio event “Temporary Structures” this Saturday, April 3 from 2-4 p.m. The art kit will include supplies to create temporary paper sculptures inspired by the CAMH exhibition “Wild Life.” A limited supply of art kits is available, so grab yours early!

UH MFA THESIS EXHIBITION

See bodies of work from 12 Master of Fine Arts degree candidates from the University of Houston School of Art at the 43rd Annual MFA Thesis Exhibition, on view from March 27 to April 11 at the Blaffer Art Museum. Each candidate developed their pieces over the three-year proram, making the exhibit a rich display of diverse rising artists. 

ROLLING AT DISCOVERY GREEN

The outdoor roller rink at Discovery Green closes next Sunday, April 11. Don’t miss your chance to skate under the Houston skyline! Tickets are $12 including skate rental and must be purchased in advance. Masks are required.

5th annual Houston Latino Film Festival displays Latinx diversity, tackles timely issues

The 5th annual Houston Latino Film Festival, which ran from March 19-28, featured films from all over Latin America and the United States, highlighting and promoting Latinx culture to the Houston community. The festival, which was canceled last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, showcased its selection of both feature and short films over virtual streaming platforms and in-person drive-in theater venues.  

Texas on his mind: Remembering the literary legacy of Larry McMurtry

Prolific novelist, screenwriter and Rice University alumnus Larry McMurtry died at his home in Archer City, Texas on March 25, 2021. McMurtry’s novels are known for their striking realism and ability to present the complexities of life in Texas. As an author, McMurtry gained international acclaim and a particularly devoted Texan following. Many of the novels he penned could be considered Texan and Western classics, all written on a typewriter — a method he held onto despite the rising popularity of computers during the digital age. In memory of McMurtry — who proclaimed himself a “minor regional novelist” despite his widespread and enduring acclaim — here are a few of his most influential works that capture his lasting impact on the literary world.