Monday, January 17, 2022 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Mar. 31

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     3/30/21 7:35am

ACAPELLOOZA

Treat your ears to the smooth sounds of Rice’s many a capella groups at Acapellooza, a collaborative online showcase streaming this Friday, April 2 at 8 p.m. The show’s link will be released on the Facebook event page later this week. For a communal viewing experience, sign up for a watch party at Brown or Lovett Colleges. 

DIY AT CAMH

Drop by the Contemporary Art Museum Houston to pick up a free art kit as part of the museum’s Open Studio event “Temporary Structures” this Saturday, April 3 from 2-4 p.m. The art kit will include supplies to create temporary paper sculptures inspired by the CAMH exhibition “Wild Life.” A limited supply of art kits is available, so grab yours early!

UH MFA THESIS EXHIBITION

See bodies of work from 12 Master of Fine Arts degree candidates from the University of Houston School of Art at the 43rd Annual MFA Thesis Exhibition, on view from March 27 to April 11 at the Blaffer Art Museum. Each candidate developed their pieces over the three-year proram, making the exhibit a rich display of diverse rising artists. 

ROLLING AT DISCOVERY GREEN

The outdoor roller rink at Discovery Green closes next Sunday, April 11. Don’t miss your chance to skate under the Houston skyline! Tickets are $12 including skate rental and must be purchased in advance. Masks are required.

Review: The Weeknd’s ‘Dawn FM’ is a purgatorial meditation on love and lust

There’s something surreal about seeing someone you listened to when you were younger perform with white hair and wrinkles. While this experience is typically reserved for people who have long graduated college, The Weeknd’s album cover and videos for his new album “Dawn FM” artificially accelerate this. To promote the album, Abel Tesfaye (The Weeknd) staged a livestream via Amazon of the album being played for a live audience where he stood in the center of a neon-lit platform, dancing and reacting to the music. Like his previous Super Bowl performance and the music video series for “After Hours,” he committed to the character created on the album cover, performing with the aged face and white hair seen on the promotional imagery.

Spring into the arts (at the last minute)

With the spring semester upon us, those who are still short on hours or want another class to add to their schedule can rest easy. Below are some open arts-related classes which range from visual arts to film to music. These classes have something for everyone and accommodate a variety of skill levels, allowing students the chance to try things that might have otherwise been out of their comfort zone. As we spend the first two weeks on Zoom dreaming of classes with available seats, here are several to consider during the add/drop period.