Monday, June 21, 2021 — Houston, TX 94°

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Mar. 31

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     3/30/21 7:35am

ACAPELLOOZA

Treat your ears to the smooth sounds of Rice’s many a capella groups at Acapellooza, a collaborative online showcase streaming this Friday, April 2 at 8 p.m. The show’s link will be released on the Facebook event page later this week. For a communal viewing experience, sign up for a watch party at Brown or Lovett Colleges. 

DIY AT CAMH

Drop by the Contemporary Art Museum Houston to pick up a free art kit as part of the museum’s Open Studio event “Temporary Structures” this Saturday, April 3 from 2-4 p.m. The art kit will include supplies to create temporary paper sculptures inspired by the CAMH exhibition “Wild Life.” A limited supply of art kits is available, so grab yours early!

UH MFA THESIS EXHIBITION

See bodies of work from 12 Master of Fine Arts degree candidates from the University of Houston School of Art at the 43rd Annual MFA Thesis Exhibition, on view from March 27 to April 11 at the Blaffer Art Museum. Each candidate developed their pieces over the three-year proram, making the exhibit a rich display of diverse rising artists. 

ROLLING AT DISCOVERY GREEN

The outdoor roller rink at Discovery Green closes next Sunday, April 11. Don’t miss your chance to skate under the Houston skyline! Tickets are $12 including skate rental and must be purchased in advance. Masks are required.

Where to find Houston’s best hot chicken sandwiches

When the Hoot brought the Popeyes spicy chicken sandwich to Rice in 2019, students formed a line that ran past the info desk to wait for it. Hot chicken is no recent phenomenon. The fried chicken, floured, fried and covered in a spice blend, hails from Nashville, Tennessee. Students may not realize that Houston’s hot chicken scene extends well beyond Popeyes, from food trucks to brick-and-mortar stores. The two of us, the Thresher’s self-proclaimed hot chicken connoisseurs, decided to venture beyond the hedges in search of the best Nashville hot chicken sandwich in Houston.