Monday, July 04, 2022 — Houston, TX

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Mar. 3

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     3/2/21 8:45am

VIRTUAL ESCAPE ROOM

Join Rice Pancakes for Parkinson’s for a Virtual Escape Room this Saturday, March 6 from 2-6 p.m. CST. For $1 each, you and up to six friends can sign up for a one-hour escape room experience when you register here. Additional donations are highly encouraged as all proceeds will benefit the Houston Area Parkinson Society. 

FRONT LAWN FILM NIGHTS

This Friday, March 5, Asia Society Texas Center will kick off its Front Lawn Film Nights series, an opportunity for Houstonians to watch Asian and Asian American cinema at biweekly outdoor screenings. This week, “Crazy Rich Asians” will be screened at 8 p.m. for $40 admission. Guests will view the film from their own socially distanced “lawn pod” — an eight-foot circle that will be outlined across the festival lawn, each of which can accommodate up to four people.

WE MAKE CARPETS

Rice Public Art is partnering with Dutch collective We Make Carpets to create original artwork with the help of volunteers. You can help tie ribbons for this piece from 2-4 p.m. on Saturday, March 6 when you sign up online for a one-hour slot. Participants will be outdoors at the temporary tent structure near Baker Hall. Masks and social distancing will be required. 

INPRINT: KAZUO ISHIGURO

As part of the 2020/2021 Inprint Margarett Root Brown Reading Series, Nobel Laureate Kazuo Ishiguro will give a short virtual reading from his new novel, “Klara and the Sun,” this Sunday, March 7 at 5 p.m. CST. General admission is $30 and includes access to the reading as well as a hardcover copy of “Klara and the Sun” shipped the week after the event.