Monday, April 19, 2021 — Houston, TX 58°

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Mar. 3

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     3/2/21 8:45am

VIRTUAL ESCAPE ROOM

Join Rice Pancakes for Parkinson’s for a Virtual Escape Room this Saturday, March 6 from 2-6 p.m. CST. For $1 each, you and up to six friends can sign up for a one-hour escape room experience when you register here. Additional donations are highly encouraged as all proceeds will benefit the Houston Area Parkinson Society. 

FRONT LAWN FILM NIGHTS

This Friday, March 5, Asia Society Texas Center will kick off its Front Lawn Film Nights series, an opportunity for Houstonians to watch Asian and Asian American cinema at biweekly outdoor screenings. This week, “Crazy Rich Asians” will be screened at 8 p.m. for $40 admission. Guests will view the film from their own socially distanced “lawn pod” — an eight-foot circle that will be outlined across the festival lawn, each of which can accommodate up to four people.

WE MAKE CARPETS

Rice Public Art is partnering with Dutch collective We Make Carpets to create original artwork with the help of volunteers. You can help tie ribbons for this piece from 2-4 p.m. on Saturday, March 6 when you sign up online for a one-hour slot. Participants will be outdoors at the temporary tent structure near Baker Hall. Masks and social distancing will be required. 

INPRINT: KAZUO ISHIGURO

As part of the 2020/2021 Inprint Margarett Root Brown Reading Series, Nobel Laureate Kazuo Ishiguro will give a short virtual reading from his new novel, “Klara and the Sun,” this Sunday, March 7 at 5 p.m. CST. General admission is $30 and includes access to the reading as well as a hardcover copy of “Klara and the Sun” shipped the week after the event.

Review: Taylor Swift reclaims her artistry with re-recorded album “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)”

Fans got their first taste of Taylor Swift’s re-recorded album, “Fearless (Taylor’s Version),” when a snippet of “Love Story” was used in Ryan Reynolds’ Tinder commercial last December. The full album was released on April 9 and includes remastered versions of every song from the platinum edition of Swift’s 2008 album, “Fearless,” along with six unreleased songs “from the vault” that were cut from the original project. The re-release is largely unchanged from the original in terms of her familiar vocals on fan-favorite singles like “You Belong With Me.” Still, the album epitomizes the singer-songwriter’s artistic growth over the past decade and serves as the first step to Swift regaining ownership of her music, making “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)” a worthwhile listen for returning fans and new listeners alike.  

KTRU Outdoor Show brings music, art to campus scene and virtual screens

As the close of the semester approaches, KTRU wants to help end the academic year on a high note. KTRU’s annual Outdoor Show will round out the end of the semester — albeit in a different format than what we have seen in years past. On April 24 from 12 p.m. to 10 p.m., the Rice community will have the chance to gather in the central quad — distanced and masked — for what Katelyn Landry, this year’s organizer for ODS, called a “mini music and art festival.” This year’s show will consist of screenings and livestreams of artists’ pre-recorded sets, an art installation, Houston food trucks on sight and an opportunity for the Rice community to connect with each other through music and art whether in-person or virtually.