Weekly Scenes and Screens: Mar. 3

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     3/2/21 8:45am

VIRTUAL ESCAPE ROOM

Join Rice Pancakes for Parkinson’s for a Virtual Escape Room this Saturday, March 6 from 2-6 p.m. CST. For $1 each, you and up to six friends can sign up for a one-hour escape room experience when you register here. Additional donations are highly encouraged as all proceeds will benefit the Houston Area Parkinson Society. 

FRONT LAWN FILM NIGHTS

This Friday, March 5, Asia Society Texas Center will kick off its Front Lawn Film Nights series, an opportunity for Houstonians to watch Asian and Asian American cinema at biweekly outdoor screenings. This week, “Crazy Rich Asians” will be screened at 8 p.m. for $40 admission. Guests will view the film from their own socially distanced “lawn pod” — an eight-foot circle that will be outlined across the festival lawn, each of which can accommodate up to four people.

WE MAKE CARPETS

Rice Public Art is partnering with Dutch collective We Make Carpets to create original artwork with the help of volunteers. You can help tie ribbons for this piece from 2-4 p.m. on Saturday, March 6 when you sign up online for a one-hour slot. Participants will be outdoors at the temporary tent structure near Baker Hall. Masks and social distancing will be required. 

INPRINT: KAZUO ISHIGURO

As part of the 2020/2021 Inprint Margarett Root Brown Reading Series, Nobel Laureate Kazuo Ishiguro will give a short virtual reading from his new novel, “Klara and the Sun,” this Sunday, March 7 at 5 p.m. CST. General admission is $30 and includes access to the reading as well as a hardcover copy of “Klara and the Sun” shipped the week after the event.

Museum fellows talk art, academia and experiential learning

On Monday mornings at 8 a.m., Ella Langridge walks upstairs to her desk at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens and gets to work, sifting through photocopies of Americana and decorative arts with pasts unknown. Langridge’s job, as this year’s Jameson Fellow for American Painting & Decorative Arts, is to research these artifacts, uncover their histories and communicate their uniquely American stories to the collection’s thousands of annual visitors. 

Review: ‘Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire’ is Peak Cinema

There is no easy way to quantify a film, much to the chagrin of lazy film critics and lazier audiences. We may try to force a movie to fit into a box labeled ⅗ or ⅘ , but occasionally, there appears a work of art that refuses such indignity. A breathtaking fabrication that rejects the premise of a “rating,” whatever that monstrous practice might entail. These magna opera simply are. Along this line of thought, it makes sense to characterize this film for what it is, rather than lambast it for what it is not. This movie is about giant monkeys and lizards fighting. 

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.