Sunday, April 11, 2021 — Houston, TX 61°

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Mar. 24

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     3/24/21 10:28am

PUBLIC LIFE

“Public Life: Home and the people who live there” is a series of photo-murals installed on four building facades in Arts District Houston. Artists Citlali Fabián, Anton Gautama, Daniel Handal and Krista Svalbonas explore their personal perspectives on home and community on this larger-than-life photography exhibit, on display for free until May 30. 

TIME NO LONGER

“Time No Longer” is an immersive interactive art installation by multimedia artist Anri Sala. Experience this space-inspired film and sound installation as you stroll around the perimeter of Buffalo Bayou Park Cistern. Tickets are $8 for students and must be reserved online in advance. 

GEND[H]ER

Join Donna Crump and Kayla Collymore at the Contemporary Art Museum Houston as they perform the premiere of the new work “Gend[H]er,” a dance performance in celebration of Women’s History Month, this Thursday, March 26 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. on camh.org.

GODZILLA VS KONG

If you’re needing a dose of over-the-top, action-packed mythical death matches, the long-awaited “Godzilla vs. Kong” will bring your favorite two oversized mutant animals to the screen this Friday, March 26. Watch them duke it out over New York City (probably, right?) on HBO Max and at theaters nationwide.

5th annual Houston Latino Film Festival displays Latinx diversity, tackles timely issues

The 5th annual Houston Latino Film Festival, which ran from March 19-28, featured films from all over Latin America and the United States, highlighting and promoting Latinx culture to the Houston community. The festival, which was canceled last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, showcased its selection of both feature and short films over virtual streaming platforms and in-person drive-in theater venues.  

Texas on his mind: Remembering the literary legacy of Larry McMurtry

Prolific novelist, screenwriter and Rice University alumnus Larry McMurtry died at his home in Archer City, Texas on March 25, 2021. McMurtry’s novels are known for their striking realism and ability to present the complexities of life in Texas. As an author, McMurtry gained international acclaim and a particularly devoted Texan following. Many of the novels he penned could be considered Texan and Western classics, all written on a typewriter — a method he held onto despite the rising popularity of computers during the digital age. In memory of McMurtry — who proclaimed himself a “minor regional novelist” despite his widespread and enduring acclaim — here are a few of his most influential works that capture his lasting impact on the literary world.