Tuesday, September 28, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Mar. 24

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     3/24/21 10:28am

PUBLIC LIFE

“Public Life: Home and the people who live there” is a series of photo-murals installed on four building facades in Arts District Houston. Artists Citlali Fabián, Anton Gautama, Daniel Handal and Krista Svalbonas explore their personal perspectives on home and community on this larger-than-life photography exhibit, on display for free until May 30. 

TIME NO LONGER

“Time No Longer” is an immersive interactive art installation by multimedia artist Anri Sala. Experience this space-inspired film and sound installation as you stroll around the perimeter of Buffalo Bayou Park Cistern. Tickets are $8 for students and must be reserved online in advance. 

GEND[H]ER

Join Donna Crump and Kayla Collymore at the Contemporary Art Museum Houston as they perform the premiere of the new work “Gend[H]er,” a dance performance in celebration of Women’s History Month, this Thursday, March 26 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. on camh.org.

GODZILLA VS KONG

If you’re needing a dose of over-the-top, action-packed mythical death matches, the long-awaited “Godzilla vs. Kong” will bring your favorite two oversized mutant animals to the screen this Friday, March 26. Watch them duke it out over New York City (probably, right?) on HBO Max and at theaters nationwide.

Review: ‘Malignant’ continually disappoints

“Malignant” has given me trust issues with director James Wan. With “The Conjuring,” “Insidious” and even “Aquaman,” I assumed any movie directed by Wan would be at least enjoyable to watch. Well, “Malignant” was the opposite of that. Filled with a storyline that drags on, predictable twists and a contrived plot, “Malignant” is a movie to stay far away from.

Rice returns to in-person theater

From canceled shows to Zoom rehearsals and socially distanced performances, theatre students and faculty at Rice have spent the past year adapting to the shifting restrictions of the COVID-19 pandemic. When COVID-19 forced students back home during Cole Thompson’s freshman year, they had the chance to witness first-hand some of the initial attempts at remote theater at Rice. Thompson, a Martel College junior, said that the student-written show they were involved in got converted into a radio play, and that they continued to participate in remote theater productions the following year.