Monday, January 17, 2022 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Mar. 24

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     3/24/21 10:28am

PUBLIC LIFE

“Public Life: Home and the people who live there” is a series of photo-murals installed on four building facades in Arts District Houston. Artists Citlali Fabián, Anton Gautama, Daniel Handal and Krista Svalbonas explore their personal perspectives on home and community on this larger-than-life photography exhibit, on display for free until May 30. 

TIME NO LONGER

“Time No Longer” is an immersive interactive art installation by multimedia artist Anri Sala. Experience this space-inspired film and sound installation as you stroll around the perimeter of Buffalo Bayou Park Cistern. Tickets are $8 for students and must be reserved online in advance. 

GEND[H]ER

Join Donna Crump and Kayla Collymore at the Contemporary Art Museum Houston as they perform the premiere of the new work “Gend[H]er,” a dance performance in celebration of Women’s History Month, this Thursday, March 26 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. on camh.org.

GODZILLA VS KONG

If you’re needing a dose of over-the-top, action-packed mythical death matches, the long-awaited “Godzilla vs. Kong” will bring your favorite two oversized mutant animals to the screen this Friday, March 26. Watch them duke it out over New York City (probably, right?) on HBO Max and at theaters nationwide.

Review: The Weeknd’s ‘Dawn FM’ is a purgatorial meditation on love and lust

There’s something surreal about seeing someone you listened to when you were younger perform with white hair and wrinkles. While this experience is typically reserved for people who have long graduated college, The Weeknd’s album cover and videos for his new album “Dawn FM” artificially accelerate this. To promote the album, Abel Tesfaye (The Weeknd) staged a livestream via Amazon of the album being played for a live audience where he stood in the center of a neon-lit platform, dancing and reacting to the music. Like his previous Super Bowl performance and the music video series for “After Hours,” he committed to the character created on the album cover, performing with the aged face and white hair seen on the promotional imagery.

Spring into the arts (at the last minute)

With the spring semester upon us, those who are still short on hours or want another class to add to their schedule can rest easy. Below are some open arts-related classes which range from visual arts to film to music. These classes have something for everyone and accommodate a variety of skill levels, allowing students the chance to try things that might have otherwise been out of their comfort zone. As we spend the first two weeks on Zoom dreaming of classes with available seats, here are several to consider during the add/drop period.