Weekly Scenes and Screens: Mar. 24

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     3/24/21 10:28am

PUBLIC LIFE

“Public Life: Home and the people who live there” is a series of photo-murals installed on four building facades in Arts District Houston. Artists Citlali Fabián, Anton Gautama, Daniel Handal and Krista Svalbonas explore their personal perspectives on home and community on this larger-than-life photography exhibit, on display for free until May 30. 

TIME NO LONGER

“Time No Longer” is an immersive interactive art installation by multimedia artist Anri Sala. Experience this space-inspired film and sound installation as you stroll around the perimeter of Buffalo Bayou Park Cistern. Tickets are $8 for students and must be reserved online in advance. 

GEND[H]ER

Join Donna Crump and Kayla Collymore at the Contemporary Art Museum Houston as they perform the premiere of the new work “Gend[H]er,” a dance performance in celebration of Women’s History Month, this Thursday, March 26 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. on camh.org.

GODZILLA VS KONG

If you’re needing a dose of over-the-top, action-packed mythical death matches, the long-awaited “Godzilla vs. Kong” will bring your favorite two oversized mutant animals to the screen this Friday, March 26. Watch them duke it out over New York City (probably, right?) on HBO Max and at theaters nationwide.

Museum fellows talk art, academia and experiential learning

On Monday mornings at 8 a.m., Ella Langridge walks upstairs to her desk at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens and gets to work, sifting through photocopies of Americana and decorative arts with pasts unknown. Langridge’s job, as this year’s Jameson Fellow for American Painting & Decorative Arts, is to research these artifacts, uncover their histories and communicate their uniquely American stories to the collection’s thousands of annual visitors. 

Review: ‘Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire’ is Peak Cinema

There is no easy way to quantify a film, much to the chagrin of lazy film critics and lazier audiences. We may try to force a movie to fit into a box labeled ⅗ or ⅘ , but occasionally, there appears a work of art that refuses such indignity. A breathtaking fabrication that rejects the premise of a “rating,” whatever that monstrous practice might entail. These magna opera simply are. Along this line of thought, it makes sense to characterize this film for what it is, rather than lambast it for what it is not. This movie is about giant monkeys and lizards fighting. 

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.