Weekly Scenes and Screens: Mar. 17

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     3/16/21 7:42pm

CLOSING: CAKE

This Saturday, March 20, Visual and Dramatic Arts senior Julia Kidd will host an artist talk during the closing reception of her solo exhibition “CAKE” at Sleepy Cyborg Gallery. From 2 - 5 p.m. in Sewall Courtyard, attendees will be able to hear about Kidd’s work while enjoying free refreshments. In order to attend, you must RSVP using this Google form and wear a mask. 

BLOOM! 

The Rice Campanile will host a flower-filled yearbook distribution event this Thursday, March 18 from 2 - 5 p.m. in Ray Courtyard. When you RSVP in advance, you can enjoy fresh roses, a floral photo booth and Rice University yearbooks for the 2020-2021 school year. 

IKEBANA

This Friday, March 19 at 7 p.m., Rice Japanese Club will host its premiere Ikebana event, where students can learn the traditional Japanese art of flower arranging. The event will be hosted by guest teacher and Ikebana-enthusiast, Sushila Mathew in PCF 1. Attendance will be limited to 15 students, so RSVP now!

HOUSTON LATINO FILM FESTIVAL 

Celebrate Latinx cinema from March 19 through 28 with the Houston Latino Film Festival. Films will be available digitally on demand and at two local drive-in theaters: Moonstruck Drive-In Theater and Best Little Drive-In. Single vehicle admission tickets are $30, and virtual all-access passes — which include access to over 40 films — are $15. Purchase tickets and learn more at houstonlatinofilmfestival.org. 

Museum fellows talk art, academia and experiential learning

On Monday mornings at 8 a.m., Ella Langridge walks upstairs to her desk at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens and gets to work, sifting through photocopies of Americana and decorative arts with pasts unknown. Langridge’s job, as this year’s Jameson Fellow for American Painting & Decorative Arts, is to research these artifacts, uncover their histories and communicate their uniquely American stories to the collection’s thousands of annual visitors. 

Review: ‘Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire’ is Peak Cinema

There is no easy way to quantify a film, much to the chagrin of lazy film critics and lazier audiences. We may try to force a movie to fit into a box labeled ⅗ or ⅘ , but occasionally, there appears a work of art that refuses such indignity. A breathtaking fabrication that rejects the premise of a “rating,” whatever that monstrous practice might entail. These magna opera simply are. Along this line of thought, it makes sense to characterize this film for what it is, rather than lambast it for what it is not. This movie is about giant monkeys and lizards fighting. 

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.