Sunday, April 11, 2021 — Houston, TX 61°

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Mar. 17

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     3/16/21 7:42pm

CLOSING: CAKE

This Saturday, March 20, Visual and Dramatic Arts senior Julia Kidd will host an artist talk during the closing reception of her solo exhibition “CAKE” at Sleepy Cyborg Gallery. From 2 - 5 p.m. in Sewall Courtyard, attendees will be able to hear about Kidd’s work while enjoying free refreshments. In order to attend, you must RSVP using this Google form and wear a mask. 

BLOOM! 

The Rice Campanile will host a flower-filled yearbook distribution event this Thursday, March 18 from 2 - 5 p.m. in Ray Courtyard. When you RSVP in advance, you can enjoy fresh roses, a floral photo booth and Rice University yearbooks for the 2020-2021 school year. 

IKEBANA

This Friday, March 19 at 7 p.m., Rice Japanese Club will host its premiere Ikebana event, where students can learn the traditional Japanese art of flower arranging. The event will be hosted by guest teacher and Ikebana-enthusiast, Sushila Mathew in PCF 1. Attendance will be limited to 15 students, so RSVP now!

HOUSTON LATINO FILM FESTIVAL 

Celebrate Latinx cinema from March 19 through 28 with the Houston Latino Film Festival. Films will be available digitally on demand and at two local drive-in theaters: Moonstruck Drive-In Theater and Best Little Drive-In. Single vehicle admission tickets are $30, and virtual all-access passes — which include access to over 40 films — are $15. Purchase tickets and learn more at houstonlatinofilmfestival.org. 

5th annual Houston Latino Film Festival displays Latinx diversity, tackles timely issues

The 5th annual Houston Latino Film Festival, which ran from March 19-28, featured films from all over Latin America and the United States, highlighting and promoting Latinx culture to the Houston community. The festival, which was canceled last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, showcased its selection of both feature and short films over virtual streaming platforms and in-person drive-in theater venues.  

Texas on his mind: Remembering the literary legacy of Larry McMurtry

Prolific novelist, screenwriter and Rice University alumnus Larry McMurtry died at his home in Archer City, Texas on March 25, 2021. McMurtry’s novels are known for their striking realism and ability to present the complexities of life in Texas. As an author, McMurtry gained international acclaim and a particularly devoted Texan following. Many of the novels he penned could be considered Texan and Western classics, all written on a typewriter — a method he held onto despite the rising popularity of computers during the digital age. In memory of McMurtry — who proclaimed himself a “minor regional novelist” despite his widespread and enduring acclaim — here are a few of his most influential works that capture his lasting impact on the literary world.