Tuesday, September 28, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Mar. 17

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     3/16/21 7:42pm

CLOSING: CAKE

This Saturday, March 20, Visual and Dramatic Arts senior Julia Kidd will host an artist talk during the closing reception of her solo exhibition “CAKE” at Sleepy Cyborg Gallery. From 2 - 5 p.m. in Sewall Courtyard, attendees will be able to hear about Kidd’s work while enjoying free refreshments. In order to attend, you must RSVP using this Google form and wear a mask. 

BLOOM! 

The Rice Campanile will host a flower-filled yearbook distribution event this Thursday, March 18 from 2 - 5 p.m. in Ray Courtyard. When you RSVP in advance, you can enjoy fresh roses, a floral photo booth and Rice University yearbooks for the 2020-2021 school year. 

IKEBANA

This Friday, March 19 at 7 p.m., Rice Japanese Club will host its premiere Ikebana event, where students can learn the traditional Japanese art of flower arranging. The event will be hosted by guest teacher and Ikebana-enthusiast, Sushila Mathew in PCF 1. Attendance will be limited to 15 students, so RSVP now!

HOUSTON LATINO FILM FESTIVAL 

Celebrate Latinx cinema from March 19 through 28 with the Houston Latino Film Festival. Films will be available digitally on demand and at two local drive-in theaters: Moonstruck Drive-In Theater and Best Little Drive-In. Single vehicle admission tickets are $30, and virtual all-access passes — which include access to over 40 films — are $15. Purchase tickets and learn more at houstonlatinofilmfestival.org. 

Review: ‘Malignant’ continually disappoints

“Malignant” has given me trust issues with director James Wan. With “The Conjuring,” “Insidious” and even “Aquaman,” I assumed any movie directed by Wan would be at least enjoyable to watch. Well, “Malignant” was the opposite of that. Filled with a storyline that drags on, predictable twists and a contrived plot, “Malignant” is a movie to stay far away from.

Rice returns to in-person theater

From canceled shows to Zoom rehearsals and socially distanced performances, theatre students and faculty at Rice have spent the past year adapting to the shifting restrictions of the COVID-19 pandemic. When COVID-19 forced students back home during Cole Thompson’s freshman year, they had the chance to witness first-hand some of the initial attempts at remote theater at Rice. Thompson, a Martel College junior, said that the student-written show they were involved in got converted into a radio play, and that they continued to participate in remote theater productions the following year.