Monday, January 17, 2022 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Mar. 17

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     3/16/21 7:42pm

CLOSING: CAKE

This Saturday, March 20, Visual and Dramatic Arts senior Julia Kidd will host an artist talk during the closing reception of her solo exhibition “CAKE” at Sleepy Cyborg Gallery. From 2 - 5 p.m. in Sewall Courtyard, attendees will be able to hear about Kidd’s work while enjoying free refreshments. In order to attend, you must RSVP using this Google form and wear a mask. 

BLOOM! 

The Rice Campanile will host a flower-filled yearbook distribution event this Thursday, March 18 from 2 - 5 p.m. in Ray Courtyard. When you RSVP in advance, you can enjoy fresh roses, a floral photo booth and Rice University yearbooks for the 2020-2021 school year. 

IKEBANA

This Friday, March 19 at 7 p.m., Rice Japanese Club will host its premiere Ikebana event, where students can learn the traditional Japanese art of flower arranging. The event will be hosted by guest teacher and Ikebana-enthusiast, Sushila Mathew in PCF 1. Attendance will be limited to 15 students, so RSVP now!

HOUSTON LATINO FILM FESTIVAL 

Celebrate Latinx cinema from March 19 through 28 with the Houston Latino Film Festival. Films will be available digitally on demand and at two local drive-in theaters: Moonstruck Drive-In Theater and Best Little Drive-In. Single vehicle admission tickets are $30, and virtual all-access passes — which include access to over 40 films — are $15. Purchase tickets and learn more at houstonlatinofilmfestival.org. 

Review: The Weeknd’s ‘Dawn FM’ is a purgatorial meditation on love and lust

There’s something surreal about seeing someone you listened to when you were younger perform with white hair and wrinkles. While this experience is typically reserved for people who have long graduated college, The Weeknd’s album cover and videos for his new album “Dawn FM” artificially accelerate this. To promote the album, Abel Tesfaye (The Weeknd) staged a livestream via Amazon of the album being played for a live audience where he stood in the center of a neon-lit platform, dancing and reacting to the music. Like his previous Super Bowl performance and the music video series for “After Hours,” he committed to the character created on the album cover, performing with the aged face and white hair seen on the promotional imagery.

Spring into the arts (at the last minute)

With the spring semester upon us, those who are still short on hours or want another class to add to their schedule can rest easy. Below are some open arts-related classes which range from visual arts to film to music. These classes have something for everyone and accommodate a variety of skill levels, allowing students the chance to try things that might have otherwise been out of their comfort zone. As we spend the first two weeks on Zoom dreaming of classes with available seats, here are several to consider during the add/drop period.