Weekly Scenes and Screens: Mar. 10

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     3/9/21 8:31pm

ITCHY SOUR CANDY

The Rice Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts will kick off its “Itchy Sour Candy” art series this weekend with the opening of "Anthromiasis,” an exhibit by Mavis C. Pitman Fellow Kyle Dickens. A satirical take on the Anthropocene, “Anthromiasis” will open at the Emergency Room Gallery in Sewall Hall at 8 p.m. on March 12, and all four artists featured in the series will host an artist talk via Zoom at noon on March 13. Visit vada.rice.edu to register.

SOLARIS

The Moody Center for the Arts and Rice Cinema will screen the 1972 film “Solaris” this Friday, March 12 at 7 p.m. via Zoom. The screening will be introduced by visual artist Byron Kim, whose work is currently featured in the Moody exhibition “Artists and the Rothko Chapel: 50 Years of Inspiration” and was inspired by the “Solaris” film and its preceding 1961 novel. Tune in to the livestream on Vimeo here.

NEW VOICES 

This weekend, Rice Theatre will present “New Voices: An Evening of Contemporary Scenes and Monologues from Contemporary Theatre,” a two-night livestream event directed by visiting lecturer Heidi Hinkel. The performances will be streamed on the Rice Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts YouTube channel on March 12 and 13 at 8 p.m. 

MOVIES AT MARKET SQUARE

Located in the heart of downtown Houston, Market Square Park will kick off its annual series of free film screenings under the stars this Friday, March 12 at 7:30 p.m. with a presentation of a 1980s classic, “St. Elmo’s Fire.” Blankets and lawn chairs are encouraged. Physical distancing is required and masks must be worn at all times except when eating. 

Museum fellows talk art, academia and experiential learning

On Monday mornings at 8 a.m., Ella Langridge walks upstairs to her desk at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens and gets to work, sifting through photocopies of Americana and decorative arts with pasts unknown. Langridge’s job, as this year’s Jameson Fellow for American Painting & Decorative Arts, is to research these artifacts, uncover their histories and communicate their uniquely American stories to the collection’s thousands of annual visitors. 

Review: ‘Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire’ is Peak Cinema

There is no easy way to quantify a film, much to the chagrin of lazy film critics and lazier audiences. We may try to force a movie to fit into a box labeled ⅗ or ⅘ , but occasionally, there appears a work of art that refuses such indignity. A breathtaking fabrication that rejects the premise of a “rating,” whatever that monstrous practice might entail. These magna opera simply are. Along this line of thought, it makes sense to characterize this film for what it is, rather than lambast it for what it is not. This movie is about giant monkeys and lizards fighting. 

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.