Tuesday, September 28, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Mar. 10

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     3/9/21 8:31pm

ITCHY SOUR CANDY

The Rice Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts will kick off its “Itchy Sour Candy” art series this weekend with the opening of "Anthromiasis,” an exhibit by Mavis C. Pitman Fellow Kyle Dickens. A satirical take on the Anthropocene, “Anthromiasis” will open at the Emergency Room Gallery in Sewall Hall at 8 p.m. on March 12, and all four artists featured in the series will host an artist talk via Zoom at noon on March 13. Visit vada.rice.edu to register.

SOLARIS

The Moody Center for the Arts and Rice Cinema will screen the 1972 film “Solaris” this Friday, March 12 at 7 p.m. via Zoom. The screening will be introduced by visual artist Byron Kim, whose work is currently featured in the Moody exhibition “Artists and the Rothko Chapel: 50 Years of Inspiration” and was inspired by the “Solaris” film and its preceding 1961 novel. Tune in to the livestream on Vimeo here.

NEW VOICES 

This weekend, Rice Theatre will present “New Voices: An Evening of Contemporary Scenes and Monologues from Contemporary Theatre,” a two-night livestream event directed by visiting lecturer Heidi Hinkel. The performances will be streamed on the Rice Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts YouTube channel on March 12 and 13 at 8 p.m. 

MOVIES AT MARKET SQUARE

Located in the heart of downtown Houston, Market Square Park will kick off its annual series of free film screenings under the stars this Friday, March 12 at 7:30 p.m. with a presentation of a 1980s classic, “St. Elmo’s Fire.” Blankets and lawn chairs are encouraged. Physical distancing is required and masks must be worn at all times except when eating. 

Review: ‘Malignant’ continually disappoints

“Malignant” has given me trust issues with director James Wan. With “The Conjuring,” “Insidious” and even “Aquaman,” I assumed any movie directed by Wan would be at least enjoyable to watch. Well, “Malignant” was the opposite of that. Filled with a storyline that drags on, predictable twists and a contrived plot, “Malignant” is a movie to stay far away from.

Rice returns to in-person theater

From canceled shows to Zoom rehearsals and socially distanced performances, theatre students and faculty at Rice have spent the past year adapting to the shifting restrictions of the COVID-19 pandemic. When COVID-19 forced students back home during Cole Thompson’s freshman year, they had the chance to witness first-hand some of the initial attempts at remote theater at Rice. Thompson, a Martel College junior, said that the student-written show they were involved in got converted into a radio play, and that they continued to participate in remote theater productions the following year.