Monday, January 17, 2022 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Mar. 10

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     3/9/21 8:31pm

ITCHY SOUR CANDY

The Rice Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts will kick off its “Itchy Sour Candy” art series this weekend with the opening of "Anthromiasis,” an exhibit by Mavis C. Pitman Fellow Kyle Dickens. A satirical take on the Anthropocene, “Anthromiasis” will open at the Emergency Room Gallery in Sewall Hall at 8 p.m. on March 12, and all four artists featured in the series will host an artist talk via Zoom at noon on March 13. Visit vada.rice.edu to register.

SOLARIS

The Moody Center for the Arts and Rice Cinema will screen the 1972 film “Solaris” this Friday, March 12 at 7 p.m. via Zoom. The screening will be introduced by visual artist Byron Kim, whose work is currently featured in the Moody exhibition “Artists and the Rothko Chapel: 50 Years of Inspiration” and was inspired by the “Solaris” film and its preceding 1961 novel. Tune in to the livestream on Vimeo here.

NEW VOICES 

This weekend, Rice Theatre will present “New Voices: An Evening of Contemporary Scenes and Monologues from Contemporary Theatre,” a two-night livestream event directed by visiting lecturer Heidi Hinkel. The performances will be streamed on the Rice Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts YouTube channel on March 12 and 13 at 8 p.m. 

MOVIES AT MARKET SQUARE

Located in the heart of downtown Houston, Market Square Park will kick off its annual series of free film screenings under the stars this Friday, March 12 at 7:30 p.m. with a presentation of a 1980s classic, “St. Elmo’s Fire.” Blankets and lawn chairs are encouraged. Physical distancing is required and masks must be worn at all times except when eating. 

Review: The Weeknd’s ‘Dawn FM’ is a purgatorial meditation on love and lust

There’s something surreal about seeing someone you listened to when you were younger perform with white hair and wrinkles. While this experience is typically reserved for people who have long graduated college, The Weeknd’s album cover and videos for his new album “Dawn FM” artificially accelerate this. To promote the album, Abel Tesfaye (The Weeknd) staged a livestream via Amazon of the album being played for a live audience where he stood in the center of a neon-lit platform, dancing and reacting to the music. Like his previous Super Bowl performance and the music video series for “After Hours,” he committed to the character created on the album cover, performing with the aged face and white hair seen on the promotional imagery.

Spring into the arts (at the last minute)

With the spring semester upon us, those who are still short on hours or want another class to add to their schedule can rest easy. Below are some open arts-related classes which range from visual arts to film to music. These classes have something for everyone and accommodate a variety of skill levels, allowing students the chance to try things that might have otherwise been out of their comfort zone. As we spend the first two weeks on Zoom dreaming of classes with available seats, here are several to consider during the add/drop period.