Sunday, April 11, 2021 — Houston, TX 61°

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Mar. 10

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     3/9/21 8:31pm

ITCHY SOUR CANDY

The Rice Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts will kick off its “Itchy Sour Candy” art series this weekend with the opening of "Anthromiasis,” an exhibit by Mavis C. Pitman Fellow Kyle Dickens. A satirical take on the Anthropocene, “Anthromiasis” will open at the Emergency Room Gallery in Sewall Hall at 8 p.m. on March 12, and all four artists featured in the series will host an artist talk via Zoom at noon on March 13. Visit vada.rice.edu to register.

SOLARIS

The Moody Center for the Arts and Rice Cinema will screen the 1972 film “Solaris” this Friday, March 12 at 7 p.m. via Zoom. The screening will be introduced by visual artist Byron Kim, whose work is currently featured in the Moody exhibition “Artists and the Rothko Chapel: 50 Years of Inspiration” and was inspired by the “Solaris” film and its preceding 1961 novel. Tune in to the livestream on Vimeo here.

NEW VOICES 

This weekend, Rice Theatre will present “New Voices: An Evening of Contemporary Scenes and Monologues from Contemporary Theatre,” a two-night livestream event directed by visiting lecturer Heidi Hinkel. The performances will be streamed on the Rice Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts YouTube channel on March 12 and 13 at 8 p.m. 

MOVIES AT MARKET SQUARE

Located in the heart of downtown Houston, Market Square Park will kick off its annual series of free film screenings under the stars this Friday, March 12 at 7:30 p.m. with a presentation of a 1980s classic, “St. Elmo’s Fire.” Blankets and lawn chairs are encouraged. Physical distancing is required and masks must be worn at all times except when eating. 

5th annual Houston Latino Film Festival displays Latinx diversity, tackles timely issues

The 5th annual Houston Latino Film Festival, which ran from March 19-28, featured films from all over Latin America and the United States, highlighting and promoting Latinx culture to the Houston community. The festival, which was canceled last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, showcased its selection of both feature and short films over virtual streaming platforms and in-person drive-in theater venues.  

Texas on his mind: Remembering the literary legacy of Larry McMurtry

Prolific novelist, screenwriter and Rice University alumnus Larry McMurtry died at his home in Archer City, Texas on March 25, 2021. McMurtry’s novels are known for their striking realism and ability to present the complexities of life in Texas. As an author, McMurtry gained international acclaim and a particularly devoted Texan following. Many of the novels he penned could be considered Texan and Western classics, all written on a typewriter — a method he held onto despite the rising popularity of computers during the digital age. In memory of McMurtry — who proclaimed himself a “minor regional novelist” despite his widespread and enduring acclaim — here are a few of his most influential works that capture his lasting impact on the literary world.