Monday, April 19, 2021 — Houston, TX 61°

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Feb. 24

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     2/23/21 11:49pm

KTRU COZY SHOW

KTRU will host its annual Cozy Show virtually this Friday, Feb. 26 at 8 p.m. If you’re a Rice student on or near Rice campus, head to the Rice Memorial Center, where DJs will be giving away free KTRU mugs with hot chocolate, t-shirts, and tote bags from 5-7 p.m. Performing artists include oki yume, Velveteen Echo and Mind Shrine — listen to them here!

SPEAK LOW

Sleepy Cyborg Gallery presents Speak Low, a solo exhibition by Houston-based artist Jasmine Zelaya. The interactive installation will be on view by appointment only through this Friday, Feb. 26. Email sleepycyborggallery@gmail.com to schedule your in-person viewing. Masks required.

REEL POETRY

Houston-based literary nonprofit Public Poetry will host its annual REELpoetry festival this week from Feb. 24-28. The festival will present over 100 poetry films and videopoems from creators around the world, interviews with featured poets and awards. Tickets are available now on a give-what-you-can basis, starting at $1. 

ELECTRIFYING DESIGN

On Saturday, Feb. 27, the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston will open its new exhibit “Electrifying Design: A Century of Lighting.” The exhibit is a celebration of lighting design, which has evolved as a medium of technological and artistic expression over the past 100 years. Included with general admission, which costs $12 when you present your Rice ID.

Review: Taylor Swift reclaims her artistry with re-recorded album “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)”

Fans got their first taste of Taylor Swift’s re-recorded album, “Fearless (Taylor’s Version),” when a snippet of “Love Story” was used in Ryan Reynolds’ Tinder commercial last December. The full album was released on April 9 and includes remastered versions of every song from the platinum edition of Swift’s 2008 album, “Fearless,” along with six unreleased songs “from the vault” that were cut from the original project. The re-release is largely unchanged from the original in terms of her familiar vocals on fan-favorite singles like “You Belong With Me.” Still, the album epitomizes the singer-songwriter’s artistic growth over the past decade and serves as the first step to Swift regaining ownership of her music, making “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)” a worthwhile listen for returning fans and new listeners alike.  

KTRU Outdoor Show brings music, art to campus scene and virtual screens

As the close of the semester approaches, KTRU wants to help end the academic year on a high note. KTRU’s annual Outdoor Show will round out the end of the semester — albeit in a different format than what we have seen in years past. On April 24 from 12 p.m. to 10 p.m., the Rice community will have the chance to gather in the central quad — distanced and masked — for what Katelyn Landry, this year’s organizer for ODS, called a “mini music and art festival.” This year’s show will consist of screenings and livestreams of artists’ pre-recorded sets, an art installation, Houston food trucks on sight and an opportunity for the Rice community to connect with each other through music and art whether in-person or virtually.