Weekly Scenes and Screens: Feb. 24

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     2/23/21 11:49pm

KTRU COZY SHOW

KTRU will host its annual Cozy Show virtually this Friday, Feb. 26 at 8 p.m. If you’re a Rice student on or near Rice campus, head to the Rice Memorial Center, where DJs will be giving away free KTRU mugs with hot chocolate, t-shirts, and tote bags from 5-7 p.m. Performing artists include oki yume, Velveteen Echo and Mind Shrine — listen to them here!

SPEAK LOW

Sleepy Cyborg Gallery presents Speak Low, a solo exhibition by Houston-based artist Jasmine Zelaya. The interactive installation will be on view by appointment only through this Friday, Feb. 26. Email sleepycyborggallery@gmail.com to schedule your in-person viewing. Masks required.

REEL POETRY

Houston-based literary nonprofit Public Poetry will host its annual REELpoetry festival this week from Feb. 24-28. The festival will present over 100 poetry films and videopoems from creators around the world, interviews with featured poets and awards. Tickets are available now on a give-what-you-can basis, starting at $1. 

ELECTRIFYING DESIGN

On Saturday, Feb. 27, the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston will open its new exhibit “Electrifying Design: A Century of Lighting.” The exhibit is a celebration of lighting design, which has evolved as a medium of technological and artistic expression over the past 100 years. Included with general admission, which costs $12 when you present your Rice ID.

Museum fellows talk art, academia and experiential learning

On Monday mornings at 8 a.m., Ella Langridge walks upstairs to her desk at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens and gets to work, sifting through photocopies of Americana and decorative arts with pasts unknown. Langridge’s job, as this year’s Jameson Fellow for American Painting & Decorative Arts, is to research these artifacts, uncover their histories and communicate their uniquely American stories to the collection’s thousands of annual visitors. 

Review: ‘Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire’ is Peak Cinema

There is no easy way to quantify a film, much to the chagrin of lazy film critics and lazier audiences. We may try to force a movie to fit into a box labeled ⅗ or ⅘ , but occasionally, there appears a work of art that refuses such indignity. A breathtaking fabrication that rejects the premise of a “rating,” whatever that monstrous practice might entail. These magna opera simply are. Along this line of thought, it makes sense to characterize this film for what it is, rather than lambast it for what it is not. This movie is about giant monkeys and lizards fighting. 

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.