Monday, July 04, 2022 — Houston, TX

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Feb. 24

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     2/23/21 11:49pm

KTRU COZY SHOW

KTRU will host its annual Cozy Show virtually this Friday, Feb. 26 at 8 p.m. If you’re a Rice student on or near Rice campus, head to the Rice Memorial Center, where DJs will be giving away free KTRU mugs with hot chocolate, t-shirts, and tote bags from 5-7 p.m. Performing artists include oki yume, Velveteen Echo and Mind Shrine — listen to them here!

SPEAK LOW

Sleepy Cyborg Gallery presents Speak Low, a solo exhibition by Houston-based artist Jasmine Zelaya. The interactive installation will be on view by appointment only through this Friday, Feb. 26. Email sleepycyborggallery@gmail.com to schedule your in-person viewing. Masks required.

REEL POETRY

Houston-based literary nonprofit Public Poetry will host its annual REELpoetry festival this week from Feb. 24-28. The festival will present over 100 poetry films and videopoems from creators around the world, interviews with featured poets and awards. Tickets are available now on a give-what-you-can basis, starting at $1. 

ELECTRIFYING DESIGN

On Saturday, Feb. 27, the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston will open its new exhibit “Electrifying Design: A Century of Lighting.” The exhibit is a celebration of lighting design, which has evolved as a medium of technological and artistic expression over the past 100 years. Included with general admission, which costs $12 when you present your Rice ID.