Sunday, September 26, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Feb. 24

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     2/23/21 11:49pm

KTRU COZY SHOW

KTRU will host its annual Cozy Show virtually this Friday, Feb. 26 at 8 p.m. If you’re a Rice student on or near Rice campus, head to the Rice Memorial Center, where DJs will be giving away free KTRU mugs with hot chocolate, t-shirts, and tote bags from 5-7 p.m. Performing artists include oki yume, Velveteen Echo and Mind Shrine — listen to them here!

SPEAK LOW

Sleepy Cyborg Gallery presents Speak Low, a solo exhibition by Houston-based artist Jasmine Zelaya. The interactive installation will be on view by appointment only through this Friday, Feb. 26. Email sleepycyborggallery@gmail.com to schedule your in-person viewing. Masks required.

REEL POETRY

Houston-based literary nonprofit Public Poetry will host its annual REELpoetry festival this week from Feb. 24-28. The festival will present over 100 poetry films and videopoems from creators around the world, interviews with featured poets and awards. Tickets are available now on a give-what-you-can basis, starting at $1. 

ELECTRIFYING DESIGN

On Saturday, Feb. 27, the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston will open its new exhibit “Electrifying Design: A Century of Lighting.” The exhibit is a celebration of lighting design, which has evolved as a medium of technological and artistic expression over the past 100 years. Included with general admission, which costs $12 when you present your Rice ID.

Review: ‘Malignant’ continually disappoints

“Malignant” has given me trust issues with director James Wan. With “The Conjuring,” “Insidious” and even “Aquaman,” I assumed any movie directed by Wan would be at least enjoyable to watch. Well, “Malignant” was the opposite of that. Filled with a storyline that drags on, predictable twists and a contrived plot, “Malignant” is a movie to stay far away from.

Rice returns to in-person theater

From canceled shows to Zoom rehearsals and socially distanced performances, theatre students and faculty at Rice have spent the past year adapting to the shifting restrictions of the COVID-19 pandemic. When COVID-19 forced students back home during Cole Thompson’s freshman year, they had the chance to witness first-hand some of the initial attempts at remote theater at Rice. Thompson, a Martel College junior, said that the student-written show they were involved in got converted into a radio play, and that they continued to participate in remote theater productions the following year.