Monday, January 17, 2022 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Feb. 24

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     2/23/21 11:49pm

KTRU COZY SHOW

KTRU will host its annual Cozy Show virtually this Friday, Feb. 26 at 8 p.m. If you’re a Rice student on or near Rice campus, head to the Rice Memorial Center, where DJs will be giving away free KTRU mugs with hot chocolate, t-shirts, and tote bags from 5-7 p.m. Performing artists include oki yume, Velveteen Echo and Mind Shrine — listen to them here!

SPEAK LOW

Sleepy Cyborg Gallery presents Speak Low, a solo exhibition by Houston-based artist Jasmine Zelaya. The interactive installation will be on view by appointment only through this Friday, Feb. 26. Email sleepycyborggallery@gmail.com to schedule your in-person viewing. Masks required.

REEL POETRY

Houston-based literary nonprofit Public Poetry will host its annual REELpoetry festival this week from Feb. 24-28. The festival will present over 100 poetry films and videopoems from creators around the world, interviews with featured poets and awards. Tickets are available now on a give-what-you-can basis, starting at $1. 

ELECTRIFYING DESIGN

On Saturday, Feb. 27, the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston will open its new exhibit “Electrifying Design: A Century of Lighting.” The exhibit is a celebration of lighting design, which has evolved as a medium of technological and artistic expression over the past 100 years. Included with general admission, which costs $12 when you present your Rice ID.

Review: The Weeknd’s ‘Dawn FM’ is a purgatorial meditation on love and lust

There’s something surreal about seeing someone you listened to when you were younger perform with white hair and wrinkles. While this experience is typically reserved for people who have long graduated college, The Weeknd’s album cover and videos for his new album “Dawn FM” artificially accelerate this. To promote the album, Abel Tesfaye (The Weeknd) staged a livestream via Amazon of the album being played for a live audience where he stood in the center of a neon-lit platform, dancing and reacting to the music. Like his previous Super Bowl performance and the music video series for “After Hours,” he committed to the character created on the album cover, performing with the aged face and white hair seen on the promotional imagery.

Spring into the arts (at the last minute)

With the spring semester upon us, those who are still short on hours or want another class to add to their schedule can rest easy. Below are some open arts-related classes which range from visual arts to film to music. These classes have something for everyone and accommodate a variety of skill levels, allowing students the chance to try things that might have otherwise been out of their comfort zone. As we spend the first two weeks on Zoom dreaming of classes with available seats, here are several to consider during the add/drop period.