Sunday, September 26, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Student Association and Rice EMS host Platelet Donation Drive

rems-lisa-basgall-web
Courtesy Lisa Basgall

By Isaiah Hwang     2/23/21 11:25pm

Over the past weekend, Rice students participated in a platelet donation drive with the Houston Methodist Hospital. This project was organized by the Rice Student Association as well as the Rice Emergency Medical Services leadership. 

Anna Margaret Clyburn, the Student Association president, said that Houston Methodist’s leadership reached out to Rice’s leadership regarding a need for platelets on Feb. 17. After Rice’s Crisis Management Team reached out to Clyburn, she contacted REMS for their advice and support in coordinating the platelet donation drive. 

Sam Reddick, REMS captain, said that since platelets can only be stored for relatively short periods of time, any disruption in donations can be devastating to crucial hospital procedures. 

“Unfortunately, the historic winter storms last week prevented many regular donations and began to deplete local hospital supplies,” Reddick, a Wiess College senior, said. 

While only around 40 people from the Rice community were asked to participate in donating platelets, according to Clyburn, 70 students committed to calling Houston Methodist to sign up for platelet donation between Wednesday evening and Thursday evening. 

“During this challenging time, Rice students really stepped up by volunteering their time and life-saving donations to support this local need in the medical center,” Reddick said. 

Clyburn also said she was proud of Rice’s student body for being willing to donate platelets to Houston Methodist upon such short notice.

“The fact that 70 people were willing to take time out of their day and give a part of themselves to others is astounding,” Clyburn said. “I couldn’t be more proud of our community.” 

Platelet donations are required throughout the year by most major hospitals in the Texas Medical Center, and healthy, eligible individuals are encouraged to regularly donate.

Working group proposes changes to undergraduate education requirements

Two recommendations, including introducing themes into distribution courses and removing prerequisites from distribution offerings, have been proposed to alter the undergraduate curriculum requirements by the General Education Faculty Working Group, according to Douglas Schuler, associate professor of business and public policy. Schuler presented these working group recommendations at the Sept. 20 Student Association Senate, after presenting them at the Sept. 1 Faculty Senate meeting.

Majority of classes return to in-person instruction this week and next

The majority of classes with 50 or more students will transition back to in-person learning between Sept. 20 and Sept. 27, following an email from the Office of the Provost announcing this return. Previously, courses with 50 or more students were kept online, even as other classes returned to in-person learning after the second week of the semester, according to an email from the Office of the Provost on Sept. 2.

Rice working to launch diversity and inclusion course for first-year students

​​Rice University student leaders and faculty are currently working to develop a required course on diversity and inclusion for freshmen, according to Alexander Byrd, the vice provost for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Byrd said that in the past, Rice was not sufficiently diverse to adequately reflect on and begin addressing social problems that the university faces.