Parrot runs uncontested for Secretary reelection

savannah-parrot
Courtesy Savannah Parrot

By Bonnie Zhao     2/18/21 2:51pm

Savannah Parrot, a sophomore from Sid Richardson College, is both the incumbent and sole candidate for the Student Association secretary position.

Parrot said that she believes her running for reelection would provide the SA Executive Team with a stable force during changeover and assist the structural processes to create faster changes.

“I worked with the communications team to increase social and Canvas-based communications, and after my first year, I have experience and analytics to increase student engagement,” Parrot wrote in an email. “I know how to handle and communicate in crisis situations and I have experience speaking out on behalf of Rice University students. I know I can expand my impact — and that of the SA — with another year of service.”

Parrot said that her platform has three main components: increasing the communication with the residential colleges by creating a cohort among the college secretaries and herself, working with the IVP to open the communications committee up for new student representatives and creating consistent communication with Rice organizations to properly advertise and share what is happening within the SA at all times.

“Last year I was unaware of the intricacies of the position and how much of an impact the secretary has,” Parrot said. “This term I will focus on concrete ideas that I know can create positive changes instead of introducing ideas with lesser utility and that demand a lot of unnecessary work. While maintaining transparency and increasing communication are still my top priorities, I am now adding in the necessary concrete steps to achieve each and show that I am accomplishing my campaign promises to Rice students.”

According to Parrot, one of the things she accomplished this term was working with the Executive Team to host a fully remote version of SA Senate and create an open enrollment Canvas page. She also reinvigorated the SA’s social media accounts with more frequent updates and posts.

Additionally, Parrot said that she plans to increase student-athlete engagement with both the SA and also within the residential colleges. She is also interested in helping the new Orientation Week Task Force and is currently advocating for related changes to be implemented this upcoming year. 

“As secretary, I envision it being a role that spreads what’s happening in the Student Association and connects the colleges in a way,” Parrot said. “It also handles the mundane, yet necessary tasks, of documenting and archiving what happened in the SA for current and future Rice students.”