Tuesday, March 19, 2024 — Houston, TX

Harris County Health gives 800 doses to Rice amidst winter storm

breaking-news

By Rynd Morgan     2/15/21 11:19am

Rice University received 1,000 Moderna vaccines from Harris County Public Health that had to be administered by 5:00 p.m. Monday, according to Rice’s Crisis Management Team. Due to the weather and unsafe road conditions, these vaccine doses were designated for those who were already on the Rice campus. Vaccines were given at the East Gym beginning at 11:15am, and the student were advised to turn back at 12:30 p.m., according to Director of News and Media Relations Doug Miller. 

These vaccines are available to active Rice faculty, staff, or student ages 18 or older on a first come first served basis. If you have already received your first dose of vaccination, you are not eligible to receive this dose today. Also, if you are actively sick with COVID-19, or if you've just recovered, it is not recommended you receive the vaccination. Experts recommend that you wait until you are fully recovered from your infection and are no longer in isolation before you receive a COVID-19 vaccine.

Due to the inclement weather, individuals who are not already on campus are advised to not travel to Rice because of the safety concern. Those who are currently on campus are invited to walk to the East Gym for vaccination anytime between 11:15 am-5:00 pm or as long as vaccine supply lasts.

[2/15/2021 12:53 p.m.] This article has been updated to reflect that the vaccines at East Gym came from Harris County Public Health, and that the line for vaccines at East Gym closed at 12:30 p.m.

[2/15/2021 9:50 p.m.] This article and headline have been updated to correctly state that Rice only received 800 doses of the vaccine.