Tuesday, September 28, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Harris County Health gives 800 doses to Rice amidst winter storm

breaking-news

By Rynd Morgan     2/15/21 11:19am

Rice University received 1,000 Moderna vaccines from Harris County Public Health that had to be administered by 5:00 p.m. Monday, according to Rice’s Crisis Management Team. Due to the weather and unsafe road conditions, these vaccine doses were designated for those who were already on the Rice campus. Vaccines were given at the East Gym beginning at 11:15am, and the student were advised to turn back at 12:30 p.m., according to Director of News and Media Relations Doug Miller. 

These vaccines are available to active Rice faculty, staff, or student ages 18 or older on a first come first served basis. If you have already received your first dose of vaccination, you are not eligible to receive this dose today. Also, if you are actively sick with COVID-19, or if you've just recovered, it is not recommended you receive the vaccination. Experts recommend that you wait until you are fully recovered from your infection and are no longer in isolation before you receive a COVID-19 vaccine.

Due to the inclement weather, individuals who are not already on campus are advised to not travel to Rice because of the safety concern. Those who are currently on campus are invited to walk to the East Gym for vaccination anytime between 11:15 am-5:00 pm or as long as vaccine supply lasts.

[2/15/2021 12:53 p.m.] This article has been updated to reflect that the vaccines at East Gym came from Harris County Public Health, and that the line for vaccines at East Gym closed at 12:30 p.m.

[2/15/2021 9:50 p.m.] This article and headline have been updated to correctly state that Rice only received 800 doses of the vaccine. 

Working group proposes changes to undergraduate education requirements

Two recommendations, including introducing themes into distribution courses and removing prerequisites from distribution offerings, have been proposed to alter the undergraduate curriculum requirements by the General Education Faculty Working Group, according to Douglas Schuler, associate professor of business and public policy. Schuler presented these working group recommendations at the Sept. 20 Student Association Senate, after presenting them at the Sept. 1 Faculty Senate meeting.

Majority of classes return to in-person instruction this week and next

The majority of classes with 50 or more students will transition back to in-person learning between Sept. 20 and Sept. 27, following an email from the Office of the Provost announcing this return. Previously, courses with 50 or more students were kept online, even as other classes returned to in-person learning after the second week of the semester, according to an email from the Office of the Provost on Sept. 2.

Rice working to launch diversity and inclusion course for first-year students

​​Rice University student leaders and faculty are currently working to develop a required course on diversity and inclusion for freshmen, according to Alexander Byrd, the vice provost for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Byrd said that in the past, Rice was not sufficiently diverse to adequately reflect on and begin addressing social problems that the university faces.