Monday, June 21, 2021 — Houston, TX 94°

Harris County Health gives 800 doses to Rice amidst winter storm

breaking-news

By Rynd Morgan     2/15/21 11:19am

Rice University received 1,000 Moderna vaccines from Harris County Public Health that had to be administered by 5:00 p.m. Monday, according to Rice’s Crisis Management Team. Due to the weather and unsafe road conditions, these vaccine doses were designated for those who were already on the Rice campus. Vaccines were given at the East Gym beginning at 11:15am, and the student were advised to turn back at 12:30 p.m., according to Director of News and Media Relations Doug Miller. 

These vaccines are available to active Rice faculty, staff, or student ages 18 or older on a first come first served basis. If you have already received your first dose of vaccination, you are not eligible to receive this dose today. Also, if you are actively sick with COVID-19, or if you've just recovered, it is not recommended you receive the vaccination. Experts recommend that you wait until you are fully recovered from your infection and are no longer in isolation before you receive a COVID-19 vaccine.

Due to the inclement weather, individuals who are not already on campus are advised to not travel to Rice because of the safety concern. Those who are currently on campus are invited to walk to the East Gym for vaccination anytime between 11:15 am-5:00 pm or as long as vaccine supply lasts.

[2/15/2021 12:53 p.m.] This article has been updated to reflect that the vaccines at East Gym came from Harris County Public Health, and that the line for vaccines at East Gym closed at 12:30 p.m.

[2/15/2021 9:50 p.m.] This article and headline have been updated to correctly state that Rice only received 800 doses of the vaccine. 

Rice announces student vaccine requirement for fall semester

All members of the Rice community are expected to return in person for the fall and all students who come to campus are expected to be fully vaccinated before the fall semester, President David Leebron announced in an email Friday. Students who receive a medical or religious waiver must continue to test weekly and wear a mask indoors, according to the email.

Leebron to step down in 2022, reflects on past years

President David Leebron announced that he will be stepping down from his role after this coming academic year on June 30, 2022 in an email to the Rice community Tuesday morning. Next year will mark Leebron’s 18th year as president after taking on the position in 2004. 

Bragga fired after three seasons

Rice fired baseball head coach Matt Bragga, the school announced on Monday. The move comes on the heels of a season in which the Owls placed tenth out of the 12 teams in Conference USA, failing to make the C-USA tournament for the first time ever. In his three seasons at the helm, the Owls have gone 51-76-1 (25-36-1). According to athletic director Joe Karlgaard, the lack of progress shown during Bragga’s tenure prompted the change.