Friday, July 01, 2022 — Houston, TX

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Jan. 27

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Katelyn Landry     1/27/21 8:31pm

PLAY IN A DAY

This weekend, the Rice Players will virtually present their semi-annual Play in a Day, an opportunity to create and produce a play in just 24 hours. Participants will have from 8 p.m. on Jan. 29 to 8 p.m. on Jan. 30 to write, direct and rehearse their plays before performing live from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. Sign up here by Wednesday, Jan. 27 to get involved.  

TELLING THE STORY OF FREEDOM

Join Contemporary Arts Museum Houston Executive Director Hesse McGraw and Houston Freedmen’s Town Conservatory Executive Director Zion Escobar this Thursday for a conversation about the future of art and civic engagement in historic Freedmen’s Town, including a new creative partnership between the two organizations. Watch their conversation on Facebook Live on Jan. 28 from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.  

THE LITTLE THINGS

Oscar-winning actors Denzel Washington and Rami Malek play two California sheriffs who are determined to bring a serial killer (Jared Leto) to justice in the highly anticipated neo-noir crime thriller, “The Little Things.” The film releases nationwide in theaters and on HBO Max on Jan. 29 — use your Rice-provided HBO Max account to stream for free.  

BEFORE THE ICE MELTS

The ice skating rink at Discovery Green will close this Sunday, Jan. 31. Don’t miss your last chance to feel wintry before the 70-degree weather is here to stay! Tickets are $15 including skate rental, and must be purchased online in advance.