Tuesday, April 13, 2021 — Houston, TX 76°

weekly scenes & screens 11/4

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     11/3/20 9:39pm

ESPERANZA 2020

This homecoming tradition will look a little different this year — Rice Program Council will present Esperanza 2020 as a campus carnival this Saturday, Nov. 7 from 3-7 p.m. Remote students can enjoy virtual movie screenings and games of Among Us, while on-campus students can participate in carnival games, hayrides, cookie decorating and more at various campus locations when they sign up by Wednesday, Nov. 4. Visit the Facebook Event page to sign up. 

ARTIST LECTURE: DEVIN KENNY

The Center for African American Studies and the Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts will kick off their second visiting artist lecture series with a virtual talk by Devin Kenny this Thursday at noon. Kenny is an artist and musician whose work centers on cultural products of the African Diaspora in the U.S. Register for the Zoom webinar here.

IMPRESSIONS

ER Gallery’s first exhibition, “Impressions,” will be on view at Sewall Hall starting this Thursday, Nov. 5-11. Featured student artists Braden Perryman and Jose Martinez Negrete will discuss their work on Friday, Nov. 6 at 7 p.m. via Zoom. Register for their virtual artist talk here

INPRINT: NICK HORNBY

The 2020/2021 Inprint Margarett Root Brown Reading Series continues its 40th season with a virtual talk by acclaimed author Nick Hornby this Sunday, Nov. 8 at 4 p.m. Hornby will give a short reading of his new novel “Just Like You” and engage in conversation with award-winning journalist Vendela Vida. Tickets for this live stream event are $5, and can be purchased here. 

5th annual Houston Latino Film Festival displays Latinx diversity, tackles timely issues

The 5th annual Houston Latino Film Festival, which ran from March 19-28, featured films from all over Latin America and the United States, highlighting and promoting Latinx culture to the Houston community. The festival, which was canceled last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, showcased its selection of both feature and short films over virtual streaming platforms and in-person drive-in theater venues.  

Texas on his mind: Remembering the literary legacy of Larry McMurtry

Prolific novelist, screenwriter and Rice University alumnus Larry McMurtry died at his home in Archer City, Texas on March 25, 2021. McMurtry’s novels are known for their striking realism and ability to present the complexities of life in Texas. As an author, McMurtry gained international acclaim and a particularly devoted Texan following. Many of the novels he penned could be considered Texan and Western classics, all written on a typewriter — a method he held onto despite the rising popularity of computers during the digital age. In memory of McMurtry — who proclaimed himself a “minor regional novelist” despite his widespread and enduring acclaim — here are a few of his most influential works that capture his lasting impact on the literary world.