Wednesday, March 03, 2021 — Houston, TX 41°

Students cast ballots for early voting, exceed previous turnout rates

rice-stadium-rynd-morgan
Rynd Morgan/Thresher

By Savannah Kuchar and Rynd Morgan     11/3/20 8:01am

As early voting came to a close last week, many Rice students cast their ballot ahead of national Election Day, either by mail-in or early voting at one of the many sites in the Houston area, including this year on campus at Rice Stadium.

Mason Reece, a student election judge for Precinct 361, which encompasses the stadium site, said the voters he’s seen over the past two weeks have primarily been people from within or who live around the Rice community, many with university affiliations. Reece is the first student election judge for a Rice campus voting location.

“There are many students, but since there are literally not as many Rice students on campus who vote in Harris County [as other voters coming to the Rice Stadium site], they have not been the majority of the voters,” Reece, a Hanszen College junior, said.

The stadium site has received attention from some Houston leaders as well: On Oct. 20, Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo visited the stadium site. In addition, Mayor Sylvester Turner acknowledged Rice on social media, in a tweet on Oct. 26, for leading his #EarlyVote challenge over the University of Houston and Texas Southern University. In total, 13,080 people voted early at Rice’s polling location, with the majority voting in the first week of early voting.

Reece said his experience as an election judge this year has been overwhelmingly positive.

“Collaborating with different groups on campus and throughout the county to make a safe and accessible polling location has been a wonderful way to bring people together to serve students and the community,” Reece said.

Benjamin Lamb, a Will Rice College senior, compiled the data on Rice student voters from the Harris County Clerk’s Office website and determined that 1,057 Rice students registered with their on-campus address voted early, with 841 of them voting at Rice Stadium. By comparison, in the 2018 Senate elections, 589 ballots were cast in early voting and 764 were cast on election day, and in the 2016 presidential election, 1,027 students voted in total.

“Rice does seem on track to, at the very least, match its 2018 turnout, and ... it’s already blown past the 2016 turnout,” Lamb said.

The Rice Stadium voting location will be open on Election Day, Nov. 3, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m, for students voting in person. Students who are voting by mail must have their ballots postmarked by 7 p.m. on Election Day, or drop off their ballots at the Harris County ballot drop-off location at NRG Stadium (Blue Lot 25, enter Gate 9) by 7 p.m. on Election Day and bring a photo ID with them.

Students who have not yet voted and are currently in isolation or quarantine can still have marked mail-in ballots hand-delivered by “a person who possesses a ballot or carrier envelope solely for the purpose of lawfully assisting a voter who was eligible for assistance,” by Nov. 3 and should contact the Harris County Clerk’s Office for more information.

Rice cancels summer 2021 study abroad programs

Rice plans to extend the suspension of study abroad programs into summer 2021 due to ongoing health and safety concerns as well as restrictions related to COVID-19, according to the Dean of Undergraduates Bridget Gorman, in consultation with the Provost and Rice’s Crisis Management Advisory Committee. This includes the Rice in Country programs offered by the Center for Languages and Intercultural Communication, in-person study abroad programs from the Study Abroad Office and certain fellowships that require international study abroad from the Center for Civic Leadership.  

Faculty Senate approves new undergraduate Business major

The Faculty Senate recently approved the undergraduate business major, which will start offering courses in fall 2021 according to Jeff Fleming, deputy dean of academic affairs at the Jones Graduate School of Business. Undergraduates in the class of 2024 and beyond will be eligible to declare the new business major.  

Rice Management Company discusses contentious CBA at SA meeting

Rice Management Company attended last week’s Student Association meeting, updating the Rice community and sparking debate about Rice Management Company’s ongoing development in Houston’s Third Ward. The Ion, a centerpiece of the 16-acre Innovation District, is slated to open later this year, according to Rice Management Company’s manager of strategic initiatives Samuel Dike.