Friday, May 14, 2021 — Houston, TX 78°

Rice, UTSA game postponed due to COVID-19 related issues

courtesy-rice-athletics
Courtesy Rice Athletics

By Ben Baker-Katz     11/6/20 12:55pm

The Rice football game against the University of Texas, San Antonio Roadrunners that was originally scheduled for tomorrow, Nov. 7, has been postponed due to COVID-19 related issues within the UTSA program.

“I was contacted last night, and informed that UTSA had received some positive [tests],” Rice football head coach Mike Bloomgren said. “We’re disappointed, we’re always excited to play those guys. But we’re going to pivot, and we’re going to move forward.”

Bloomgren said he spoke to the team this morning, asking them to remain flexible and to begin preparing for their upcoming game against Louisiana Tech University.

“When I told the team this morning, that the one constant I’ve asked them for since COVID started is flexibility and adaptability,” Bloomgren said. “We better take it as the blessing that it is, that we have more time to prepare for next week. “Our coaches are working on LA Tech as we speak.”

Rice Director of Athletics Joe Karlgaard issued a statement on the cancellation this morning.

“The virus remains a constant challenge to our efforts to play this season,” Karlgaard said. “I know Coach Bloomgren and his staff will regroup our team and turn their attentions to Louisiana Tech.”

Rice and UTSA will work with Conference USA to attempt to reschedule the game for a later date. With the Owls schedule for the rest of the season full, that may prove challenging. Bloomgren said that he would like to see UTSA put back on the schedule, especially considering the champion of the C-USA West might hang in the balance.

“I think it makes a lot of sense to play every [team] in the West, as we’re trying to decide a champion,” Bloomgren said. “If you play everybody, we can decide [a champion] on the field. My goal is to get a chance to play them, but that’s a decision for the conference office.”

Bloomgren did express frustration with the situation as a whole, saying that trying to get through a season in the midst of a pandemic is difficult. 

“This uncertainty is so hard to deal with,” Bloomgren said. “Seeing it as a blessing is what you have to do, because if not you’ll go crazy.”

Bloomgren said that he has reminded his team that going forward, their actions regarding the virus are more important than ever.

“It’s a freaking virus, and it’s much bigger than football,” Bloomgren said. “I’m imploring our team to be disciplined with their actions.”

The Owls will hit the road over the next two weeks, visiting Ruston, Louisiana for their matchup against LA Tech on Nov. 14. They’ll follow that with a visit to Denton, Texas for a Nov. 21 matchup with the University of North Texas.

Soccer falls to No. 12 UVA 3-0 in Sweet 16

No. 25 Rice soccer was defeated 3-0 on Wednesday night by No. 12 University of Virginia in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament. This capped off the Owls’ tournament run, which saw them defeat Furman University in the opening round and upset No. 5 West Virginia University in the second round. Following the match, head coach Brian Lee looked back on the Owls’ postseason stretch fondly.

Soccer upsets No. 5 WVU in NCAA tournament, advance to round of 16

No. 25 Rice soccer upset No. 5 West Virginia University 1-0 on Saturday afternoon, moving on to the third round of the NCAA tournament in Cary, North Carolina next week. While the Mountaineers controlled possession for most of the game, the Owls managed to squeeze out a narrow victory behind a penalty shot in the 74th minute and lockdown defense throughout the game. In the round of 16, the Owls will play the No. 12 University of Virginia. After the match, head coach Brian Lee lauded his team’s effort in pulling off the upset.

Soccer defeats Furman in first round of NCAA tournament

Rice soccer defeated Furman University 3-1 on Wednesday afternoon in the first round of the NCAA tournament in Cary, North Carolina. The Owls will now advance to the second round, where they will face off against No. 5 West Virginia University on Saturday. Head coach Brian Lee was proud of his team’s complete performance in the opening round matchup.