Wednesday, March 03, 2021 — Houston, TX 41°

Rice, UTSA game postponed due to COVID-19 related issues

courtesy-rice-athletics
Courtesy Rice Athletics

By Ben Baker-Katz     11/6/20 12:55pm

The Rice football game against the University of Texas, San Antonio Roadrunners that was originally scheduled for tomorrow, Nov. 7, has been postponed due to COVID-19 related issues within the UTSA program.

“I was contacted last night, and informed that UTSA had received some positive [tests],” Rice football head coach Mike Bloomgren said. “We’re disappointed, we’re always excited to play those guys. But we’re going to pivot, and we’re going to move forward.”

Bloomgren said he spoke to the team this morning, asking them to remain flexible and to begin preparing for their upcoming game against Louisiana Tech University.

“When I told the team this morning, that the one constant I’ve asked them for since COVID started is flexibility and adaptability,” Bloomgren said. “We better take it as the blessing that it is, that we have more time to prepare for next week. “Our coaches are working on LA Tech as we speak.”

Rice Director of Athletics Joe Karlgaard issued a statement on the cancellation this morning.

“The virus remains a constant challenge to our efforts to play this season,” Karlgaard said. “I know Coach Bloomgren and his staff will regroup our team and turn their attentions to Louisiana Tech.”

Rice and UTSA will work with Conference USA to attempt to reschedule the game for a later date. With the Owls schedule for the rest of the season full, that may prove challenging. Bloomgren said that he would like to see UTSA put back on the schedule, especially considering the champion of the C-USA West might hang in the balance.

“I think it makes a lot of sense to play every [team] in the West, as we’re trying to decide a champion,” Bloomgren said. “If you play everybody, we can decide [a champion] on the field. My goal is to get a chance to play them, but that’s a decision for the conference office.”

Bloomgren did express frustration with the situation as a whole, saying that trying to get through a season in the midst of a pandemic is difficult. 

“This uncertainty is so hard to deal with,” Bloomgren said. “Seeing it as a blessing is what you have to do, because if not you’ll go crazy.”

Bloomgren said that he has reminded his team that going forward, their actions regarding the virus are more important than ever.

“It’s a freaking virus, and it’s much bigger than football,” Bloomgren said. “I’m imploring our team to be disciplined with their actions.”

The Owls will hit the road over the next two weeks, visiting Ruston, Louisiana for their matchup against LA Tech on Nov. 14. They’ll follow that with a visit to Denton, Texas for a Nov. 21 matchup with the University of North Texas.

Owls Swim their Way to Second Place at C-USA Championships

Rice swimming finished No. 2 at the Conference USA Women’s Swimming Championships, placing behind Florida International University. The team amassed 905.5 points, which ranked as the program’s highest point total in the past seven years. Several members of the team won individual accolades for their performance at the C-USA Championships, with senior Ellery Parish, sophomore Madison Howe, senior Lindsay Mathys and freshman Imogen Meers all being named as members of the First Team All-Conference. 

Baseball drops three straight at Louisiana

Rice baseball lost all three games played against the University of Louisiana this past weekend. After opening the season 2-1 in their series against Houston Baptist University, the Owls traveled to Lafayette, where they were promptly swept by the Rajun’ Cajuns. The Owls fell 7-3 in the Friday night game, and followed that up with 5-3 and 6-3 losses over the weekend,  dropping their overall record to 2-4. Head coach Matt Bragga took a somber tone in describing the weekend, pointing to the lack of offensive production as a big reason for his team’s struggles. 

Women’s basketball sweeps LA Tech

Rice Women’s Basketball improved their record to 15-2 with back-to-back victories against Louisiana Tech University this weekend. The Owls outscored the Lady Techsters by a combined 34 points as they earned their tenth and eleventh conference wins of the season. Head coach Tina Langley said she is proud of her team’s performance, especially given their stop-and-start season due to the pandemic.