Monday, October 18, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Maximum in person class size will increase to 40 students for spring semester

tents-inside-channing-wang-col

By Rishab Ramapriyan     11/6/20 12:07pm

The Academic Restart Committee announced Friday morning that the maximum in person class meeting size will increase from 25 to 40 for the spring 2021 semester, which begins on January 25. 

The announcement, co-signed by Provost Reginald DesRoches and Christopher Johns-Krull, the ARC Chair, noted that both student and faculty expressed a desire for more in-person class opportunities in the recent campuswide surveys. 

DesRoches and Johns-Krull said that there is no evidence of COVID-19 having been transmitted in the classroom during the current semester. The ARC recommended increasing the maximum class meeting size to the administration, and the administration accepted the recommendation. 

“We will continue to schedule courses in the largest available classrooms in order to maintain the greatest possible physical distancing in the classroom, and in any case at least 6 feet,” they wrote. “Mask wearing will continue to be required as per our current mask policy.”

DesRoches and Johns-Krull said that students and faculty will continue to have the choice of deciding whether to participate in the classroom environment physically or virtually. 

“Instructors and students will still have the choices they currently have related to how they teach and attend their classes,” they wrote. “This change is intended simply to allow more flexibility to our faculty and to enable the possibility of more in person classroom experiences.”

Earlier this year, the Faculty Senate passed a resolution expressing “its deep disappointment that in spite of the stated principle of ‘choice,’ some faculty and staff members felt under pressure to be physically present on campus.” 

Baker Institute director to step down after 28 years

Edward Djerejian, founding director of the Baker Institute for Public Policy, announced last week that he will step down at the end of June 2022. The first and only person to hold the position, Djerejian will have been at the helm of the Baker Institute for 28 years when he retires in April.

​​Rice joins inaugural cohort of Gulf Scholars Program for undergraduates to research environmental issues

Rice, along with six other universities across the Gulf Coast region, joined the initial phase of the National Academies Gulf Scholars Program. The program will expand undergraduate opportunities to research crucial environmental, health, energy and infrastructure issues in the Gulf Coast through a one-credit seminar course in the spring and fall semesters and a ten-week paid summer research experience, according to Jamie Padgett, the program’s faculty director. 

Opera Studies Music Director Miah Im remembered

Miah Im, music director of opera studies at Rice University, passed away on Sept. 30 at the age of 47 due to pancreatic cancer. Ana María Martínez, a Grammy award winning soprano and Shepherd School of Music’s Artist-in-Residence, was Im’s good friend and colleague of 20 years. She said that Im always cared for her work and responsibilities and took them very seriously.