Saturday, July 24, 2021 — Houston, TX 77°

Maximum in person class size will increase to 40 students for spring semester

tents-inside-channing-wang-col

By Rishab Ramapriyan     11/6/20 12:07pm

The Academic Restart Committee announced Friday morning that the maximum in person class meeting size will increase from 25 to 40 for the spring 2021 semester, which begins on January 25. 

The announcement, co-signed by Provost Reginald DesRoches and Christopher Johns-Krull, the ARC Chair, noted that both student and faculty expressed a desire for more in-person class opportunities in the recent campuswide surveys. 

DesRoches and Johns-Krull said that there is no evidence of COVID-19 having been transmitted in the classroom during the current semester. The ARC recommended increasing the maximum class meeting size to the administration, and the administration accepted the recommendation. 

“We will continue to schedule courses in the largest available classrooms in order to maintain the greatest possible physical distancing in the classroom, and in any case at least 6 feet,” they wrote. “Mask wearing will continue to be required as per our current mask policy.”

DesRoches and Johns-Krull said that students and faculty will continue to have the choice of deciding whether to participate in the classroom environment physically or virtually. 

“Instructors and students will still have the choices they currently have related to how they teach and attend their classes,” they wrote. “This change is intended simply to allow more flexibility to our faculty and to enable the possibility of more in person classroom experiences.”

Earlier this year, the Faculty Senate passed a resolution expressing “its deep disappointment that in spite of the stated principle of ‘choice,’ some faculty and staff members felt under pressure to be physically present on campus.” 

Task force calls for ‘bold change’ of academic quad, potentially relocating Willy’s statue

The Task Force on Slavery, Segregation and Racial Injustice unanimously called for a competition to redesign the academic quad and for further campus-wide events and discussions to educate the Rice community about the university’s founder. Though the task force did recommend an end to the statue’s position as “an iconic image of the university in its publicity,” they stopped short of endorsing the removal of William Marsh Rice’s statue.

Rice announces student vaccine requirement for fall semester

All members of the Rice community are expected to return in person for the fall and all students who come to campus are expected to be fully vaccinated before the fall semester, President David Leebron announced in an email Friday. Students who receive a medical or religious waiver must continue to test weekly and wear a mask indoors, according to the email.

Leebron to step down in 2022, reflects on past years

President David Leebron announced that he will be stepping down from his role after this coming academic year on June 30, 2022 in an email to the Rice community Tuesday morning. Next year will mark Leebron’s 18th year as president after taking on the position in 2004.