Sunday, October 24, 2021 — Houston, TX °

10-11 weekly scenes n screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     11/10/20 9:30pm

ZOOMAKA

Rice South Asian Society will present their annual cultural showcase Dhamaka as a virtual event called “Zoomaka: Sharing Our Cultural Screen” this Friday, Nov. 13 at 6 p.m. Watch the virtual livestream online or attend one of the watch parties across campus to celebrate South Asian culture through music, dance and more.

RICE PLAYERS PLAYWRITING COMPETITION

Submit original play scripts to The Rice Players’ fourth annual playwriting competition by Nov. 13 for a chance to see your work displayed as a staged reading or full production. Plays must be at least 10 minutes long. Visit the Facebook page for submission guidelines.

THE DEPARTING LANDSCAPE

Watch a virtual concert by pianist Sarah Rothenberg on Tuesday, Nov. 17 from 7-8 p.m. Filmed in the Menil Collection’s ancient gallery, Rothenberg will perform composer Morton Feldman’s last piano piece, “Palais de Mari.” The concert is free and open to everyone. Visit DACAMERA’s website to register.

POETAS EN CASA

Casa Cultural de las Américas and the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston livestream the 8th annual International Literature Festival “Poetas en Casa (Poets at Home)” on Thursday, Nov. 12 at 3 p.m. The festival brings acclaimed contemporary writers and poets from Spanish-speaking countries to Houston, who this year will present an anthology of their collected works. To attend, register here

Spice it Up: Fall Playlist

Now that fall and the return of autumn seasonal drinks have finally rolled around, it is time to (pumpkin) spice up our playlists. Whether you use Spotify or Apple Music (and, yes, there is a correct answer), here are some good options to add to your queue. This playlist offers plenty of different genres and languages, ranging from Funk to Bossa Nova and from Korean to Hebrew that you may not have heard before. 

Dining on a budget near campus

By this point in the semester, it’s understandable to begin lacking emotional excitement for servery food. We’ve all had our fair share of grilled chicken, caesar salads and fries, which have become somewhat repetitive for the palate. Luckily, Houston is a culinary extravaganza for lovers of all cuisines. If you’re looking for new, fresh bites, take a look at four affordable restaurants close to campus for your next meal.

Review: FINNEAS’s pervasive hopefulness and emotional songwriting shine in ‘Optimist’

“Optimist” expands upon FINNEAS’s melancholy songwriting and production skills to create a compelling and interesting debut album. FINNEAS is largely known for collaborations with his sister, Billie Eilish, who he produces and co-writes songs with. However, he also previously released an excellent EP, “Blood Harmony,” and an array of singles. FINNEAS’s first full-length album continues the lyricism seen in previous stand-out tracks like “I Lost a Friend” and “I Don’t Miss You at All,” albeit with a slightly different feeling reminiscent of Billie’s more introspective “Happier Than Ever.”