Monday, July 04, 2022 — Houston, TX

10-11 weekly scenes n screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     11/10/20 9:30pm

ZOOMAKA

Rice South Asian Society will present their annual cultural showcase Dhamaka as a virtual event called “Zoomaka: Sharing Our Cultural Screen” this Friday, Nov. 13 at 6 p.m. Watch the virtual livestream online or attend one of the watch parties across campus to celebrate South Asian culture through music, dance and more.

RICE PLAYERS PLAYWRITING COMPETITION

Submit original play scripts to The Rice Players’ fourth annual playwriting competition by Nov. 13 for a chance to see your work displayed as a staged reading or full production. Plays must be at least 10 minutes long. Visit the Facebook page for submission guidelines.

THE DEPARTING LANDSCAPE

Watch a virtual concert by pianist Sarah Rothenberg on Tuesday, Nov. 17 from 7-8 p.m. Filmed in the Menil Collection’s ancient gallery, Rothenberg will perform composer Morton Feldman’s last piano piece, “Palais de Mari.” The concert is free and open to everyone. Visit DACAMERA’s website to register.

POETAS EN CASA

Casa Cultural de las Américas and the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston livestream the 8th annual International Literature Festival “Poetas en Casa (Poets at Home)” on Thursday, Nov. 12 at 3 p.m. The festival brings acclaimed contemporary writers and poets from Spanish-speaking countries to Houston, who this year will present an anthology of their collected works. To attend, register here