Monday, January 17, 2022 — Houston, TX °

10/7 weekly scenes and screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     10/6/20 10:00pm

SOUL NIGHT

Join the Rice Black Student Association for Soul Night, a celebration of Black talent at Rice and in Houston, this Saturday, Oct. 10. This year’s BSA cultural showcase will be shared virtually in the form of a film comprising music and art performances, interviews and more.

THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST

Rice Theatre will present a special one-night performance of the classic Victorian satire “The Importance of Being Earnest” this Friday, Oct. 9 at 8 p.m. Masked and socially distanced students will perform onstage at Hamman Hall, and the production will be broadcast live on the Rice University YouTube channel. 

UNICORN BIKE SHOW

Join HoustonBCycle, Fresh Arts and Sawyer Yards for Unicorn Bike Show, a showcase of local talent and sustainable transportation, this Saturday, Oct. 10 during The Market at Sawyer Yards. Admire 10 unique Houston BCycles hand-painted by 11 Houston artists and large-scale photography of the local public art that inspired their designs.  

Sawyer Yards 

1502 Sawyer Street

SONGS ON THE WATER

Enjoy the sounds of the Houston Grand Opera during “Songs on the Water,” the first event in a series of five performances celebrating the fifth anniversary of the completion of Buffalo Bayou Park. Singers will perform on the waters of Buffalo Bayou this Saturday, Oct. 10 at 7 p.m.

Buffalo Bayou Park

105 Sabine Street

Review: The Weeknd’s ‘Dawn FM’ is a purgatorial meditation on love and lust

There’s something surreal about seeing someone you listened to when you were younger perform with white hair and wrinkles. While this experience is typically reserved for people who have long graduated college, The Weeknd’s album cover and videos for his new album “Dawn FM” artificially accelerate this. To promote the album, Abel Tesfaye (The Weeknd) staged a livestream via Amazon of the album being played for a live audience where he stood in the center of a neon-lit platform, dancing and reacting to the music. Like his previous Super Bowl performance and the music video series for “After Hours,” he committed to the character created on the album cover, performing with the aged face and white hair seen on the promotional imagery.

Spring into the arts (at the last minute)

With the spring semester upon us, those who are still short on hours or want another class to add to their schedule can rest easy. Below are some open arts-related classes which range from visual arts to film to music. These classes have something for everyone and accommodate a variety of skill levels, allowing students the chance to try things that might have otherwise been out of their comfort zone. As we spend the first two weeks on Zoom dreaming of classes with available seats, here are several to consider during the add/drop period.