Wednesday, October 21, 2020 — Houston, TX °

10/7 weekly scenes and screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     10/6/20 10:00pm

SOUL NIGHT

Join the Rice Black Student Association for Soul Night, a celebration of Black talent at Rice and in Houston, this Saturday, Oct. 10. This year’s BSA cultural showcase will be shared virtually in the form of a film comprising music and art performances, interviews and more.

THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST

Rice Theatre will present a special one-night performance of the classic Victorian satire “The Importance of Being Earnest” this Friday, Oct. 9 at 8 p.m. Masked and socially distanced students will perform onstage at Hamman Hall, and the production will be broadcast live on the Rice University YouTube channel. 

UNICORN BIKE SHOW

Join HoustonBCycle, Fresh Arts and Sawyer Yards for Unicorn Bike Show, a showcase of local talent and sustainable transportation, this Saturday, Oct. 10 during The Market at Sawyer Yards. Admire 10 unique Houston BCycles hand-painted by 11 Houston artists and large-scale photography of the local public art that inspired their designs.  

Sawyer Yards 

1502 Sawyer Street

SONGS ON THE WATER

Enjoy the sounds of the Houston Grand Opera during “Songs on the Water,” the first event in a series of five performances celebrating the fifth anniversary of the completion of Buffalo Bayou Park. Singers will perform on the waters of Buffalo Bayou this Saturday, Oct. 10 at 7 p.m.

Buffalo Bayou Park

105 Sabine Street

ON/OFF to showcase digitally interactive student art across campus

Inspired by the diversity and creativity of on- and off-campus life during a pandemic, ON/OFF is an upcoming student art show meant to be a window into that new mode of living. Organized by eight visual and dramatic arts students, the dual-delivery show will be presented in partnership with Sleepy Cyborg Gallery in nine locations around campus from Oct. 23-31. The show encourages Rice students to contribute their own art over its course. 

Seven spooky movies to stream this spooky season

A spooky movie list? In this economy? Though I doubt that anything on this list will scare you more than the horror movie we are currently living through (an exquisite mélange of “Contagion,” “Get Out” and select episodes of “Black Mirror”), these films might get your heart racing just enough to temporarily subdue your existential dread.