Sunday, September 26, 2021 — Houston, TX °

10/7 weekly scenes and screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     10/6/20 10:00pm

SOUL NIGHT

Join the Rice Black Student Association for Soul Night, a celebration of Black talent at Rice and in Houston, this Saturday, Oct. 10. This year’s BSA cultural showcase will be shared virtually in the form of a film comprising music and art performances, interviews and more.

THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST

Rice Theatre will present a special one-night performance of the classic Victorian satire “The Importance of Being Earnest” this Friday, Oct. 9 at 8 p.m. Masked and socially distanced students will perform onstage at Hamman Hall, and the production will be broadcast live on the Rice University YouTube channel. 

UNICORN BIKE SHOW

Join HoustonBCycle, Fresh Arts and Sawyer Yards for Unicorn Bike Show, a showcase of local talent and sustainable transportation, this Saturday, Oct. 10 during The Market at Sawyer Yards. Admire 10 unique Houston BCycles hand-painted by 11 Houston artists and large-scale photography of the local public art that inspired their designs.  

Sawyer Yards 

1502 Sawyer Street

SONGS ON THE WATER

Enjoy the sounds of the Houston Grand Opera during “Songs on the Water,” the first event in a series of five performances celebrating the fifth anniversary of the completion of Buffalo Bayou Park. Singers will perform on the waters of Buffalo Bayou this Saturday, Oct. 10 at 7 p.m.

Buffalo Bayou Park

105 Sabine Street

Review: ‘Malignant’ continually disappoints

“Malignant” has given me trust issues with director James Wan. With “The Conjuring,” “Insidious” and even “Aquaman,” I assumed any movie directed by Wan would be at least enjoyable to watch. Well, “Malignant” was the opposite of that. Filled with a storyline that drags on, predictable twists and a contrived plot, “Malignant” is a movie to stay far away from.

Rice returns to in-person theater

From canceled shows to Zoom rehearsals and socially distanced performances, theatre students and faculty at Rice have spent the past year adapting to the shifting restrictions of the COVID-19 pandemic. When COVID-19 forced students back home during Cole Thompson’s freshman year, they had the chance to witness first-hand some of the initial attempts at remote theater at Rice. Thompson, a Martel College junior, said that the student-written show they were involved in got converted into a radio play, and that they continued to participate in remote theater productions the following year.