Sunday, September 26, 2021 — Houston, TX °

10/28 weekly scenes & screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     10/27/20 11:02pm

Now You See Me

Visit Foto Relevance gallery to view their latest exhibition titled “Now You See Me.” Curated by Rice visual and dramatic arts alumna Erica Cheung, the group exhibition brings together six photographic artists who offer a glimpse into the complexity and nuance of Asian America. Walk-in gallery hours are 12-4 p.m., Thursday-Sunday. Masks are required.

Houston Folk Music Archive Homecoming Concert

This year’s Houston Folk Music Archive Homecoming Concert will stream live on Zoom this Thursday, Oct. 29 at 6 p.m. Famed folk artists Vince Bell and Sarah Hickman will headline the annual concert series hosted by the Friends of Fondren Library and the Houston Folk Music Archive. To access the Zoom link, register for free here.

Axelrad Halloween

Enjoy a live concert and movie screening from your car at Axelrad’s Halloween Drive-In this Saturday, Oct. 31 at 6:30 p.m. The show will feature music by local artists Gio Chamba and John Allen Stephens at 7:30 p.m., ending with a screening of the classic slasher “A Nightmare on Elm Street” at 11:30 p.m. Tickets are available starting at $15. This event is 21+.

Contemporary Arts Museum Houston Community Celebration

Celebrate CAMH’s 72nd birthday with a citywide art tour this Saturday, Oct. 31 from 1-4 p.m. to view drive-by performances and pick up art kits. A virtual continuation of the celebration will take place on Sunday, Nov. 1 from 1-4 p.m. featuring films by Marc Newsome and the Houston Jazz Collective.

Review: ‘Malignant’ continually disappoints

“Malignant” has given me trust issues with director James Wan. With “The Conjuring,” “Insidious” and even “Aquaman,” I assumed any movie directed by Wan would be at least enjoyable to watch. Well, “Malignant” was the opposite of that. Filled with a storyline that drags on, predictable twists and a contrived plot, “Malignant” is a movie to stay far away from.

Rice returns to in-person theater

From canceled shows to Zoom rehearsals and socially distanced performances, theatre students and faculty at Rice have spent the past year adapting to the shifting restrictions of the COVID-19 pandemic. When COVID-19 forced students back home during Cole Thompson’s freshman year, they had the chance to witness first-hand some of the initial attempts at remote theater at Rice. Thompson, a Martel College junior, said that the student-written show they were involved in got converted into a radio play, and that they continued to participate in remote theater productions the following year.