Monday, January 17, 2022 — Houston, TX °

10/28 weekly scenes & screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     10/27/20 11:02pm

Now You See Me

Visit Foto Relevance gallery to view their latest exhibition titled “Now You See Me.” Curated by Rice visual and dramatic arts alumna Erica Cheung, the group exhibition brings together six photographic artists who offer a glimpse into the complexity and nuance of Asian America. Walk-in gallery hours are 12-4 p.m., Thursday-Sunday. Masks are required.

Houston Folk Music Archive Homecoming Concert

This year’s Houston Folk Music Archive Homecoming Concert will stream live on Zoom this Thursday, Oct. 29 at 6 p.m. Famed folk artists Vince Bell and Sarah Hickman will headline the annual concert series hosted by the Friends of Fondren Library and the Houston Folk Music Archive. To access the Zoom link, register for free here.

Axelrad Halloween

Enjoy a live concert and movie screening from your car at Axelrad’s Halloween Drive-In this Saturday, Oct. 31 at 6:30 p.m. The show will feature music by local artists Gio Chamba and John Allen Stephens at 7:30 p.m., ending with a screening of the classic slasher “A Nightmare on Elm Street” at 11:30 p.m. Tickets are available starting at $15. This event is 21+.

Contemporary Arts Museum Houston Community Celebration

Celebrate CAMH’s 72nd birthday with a citywide art tour this Saturday, Oct. 31 from 1-4 p.m. to view drive-by performances and pick up art kits. A virtual continuation of the celebration will take place on Sunday, Nov. 1 from 1-4 p.m. featuring films by Marc Newsome and the Houston Jazz Collective.

Review: The Weeknd’s ‘Dawn FM’ is a purgatorial meditation on love and lust

There’s something surreal about seeing someone you listened to when you were younger perform with white hair and wrinkles. While this experience is typically reserved for people who have long graduated college, The Weeknd’s album cover and videos for his new album “Dawn FM” artificially accelerate this. To promote the album, Abel Tesfaye (The Weeknd) staged a livestream via Amazon of the album being played for a live audience where he stood in the center of a neon-lit platform, dancing and reacting to the music. Like his previous Super Bowl performance and the music video series for “After Hours,” he committed to the character created on the album cover, performing with the aged face and white hair seen on the promotional imagery.

Spring into the arts (at the last minute)

With the spring semester upon us, those who are still short on hours or want another class to add to their schedule can rest easy. Below are some open arts-related classes which range from visual arts to film to music. These classes have something for everyone and accommodate a variety of skill levels, allowing students the chance to try things that might have otherwise been out of their comfort zone. As we spend the first two weeks on Zoom dreaming of classes with available seats, here are several to consider during the add/drop period.