Tuesday, April 13, 2021 — Houston, TX 81°

10/28 weekly scenes & screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     10/27/20 11:02pm

Now You See Me

Visit Foto Relevance gallery to view their latest exhibition titled “Now You See Me.” Curated by Rice visual and dramatic arts alumna Erica Cheung, the group exhibition brings together six photographic artists who offer a glimpse into the complexity and nuance of Asian America. Walk-in gallery hours are 12-4 p.m., Thursday-Sunday. Masks are required.

Houston Folk Music Archive Homecoming Concert

This year’s Houston Folk Music Archive Homecoming Concert will stream live on Zoom this Thursday, Oct. 29 at 6 p.m. Famed folk artists Vince Bell and Sarah Hickman will headline the annual concert series hosted by the Friends of Fondren Library and the Houston Folk Music Archive. To access the Zoom link, register for free here.

Axelrad Halloween

Enjoy a live concert and movie screening from your car at Axelrad’s Halloween Drive-In this Saturday, Oct. 31 at 6:30 p.m. The show will feature music by local artists Gio Chamba and John Allen Stephens at 7:30 p.m., ending with a screening of the classic slasher “A Nightmare on Elm Street” at 11:30 p.m. Tickets are available starting at $15. This event is 21+.

Contemporary Arts Museum Houston Community Celebration

Celebrate CAMH’s 72nd birthday with a citywide art tour this Saturday, Oct. 31 from 1-4 p.m. to view drive-by performances and pick up art kits. A virtual continuation of the celebration will take place on Sunday, Nov. 1 from 1-4 p.m. featuring films by Marc Newsome and the Houston Jazz Collective.

5th annual Houston Latino Film Festival displays Latinx diversity, tackles timely issues

The 5th annual Houston Latino Film Festival, which ran from March 19-28, featured films from all over Latin America and the United States, highlighting and promoting Latinx culture to the Houston community. The festival, which was canceled last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, showcased its selection of both feature and short films over virtual streaming platforms and in-person drive-in theater venues.  

Texas on his mind: Remembering the literary legacy of Larry McMurtry

Prolific novelist, screenwriter and Rice University alumnus Larry McMurtry died at his home in Archer City, Texas on March 25, 2021. McMurtry’s novels are known for their striking realism and ability to present the complexities of life in Texas. As an author, McMurtry gained international acclaim and a particularly devoted Texan following. Many of the novels he penned could be considered Texan and Western classics, all written on a typewriter — a method he held onto despite the rising popularity of computers during the digital age. In memory of McMurtry — who proclaimed himself a “minor regional novelist” despite his widespread and enduring acclaim — here are a few of his most influential works that capture his lasting impact on the literary world.