Monday, January 17, 2022 — Houston, TX °

10/21 weekly scenes & screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     10/20/20 10:09pm

NO MAN’S LAND

Rice Outdoor Programs & Education and No Man’s Land Film Festival will screen a collection of films highlighting women in their pursuits of adventure, challenge and environmental connection, this Friday, Oct. 23 at 6:30 p.m. Tickets for this limited-seating outdoor screening are free for Rice community members. Visit recstore.rice.edu to reserve tickets. 

Dell Butcher Hall Outdoor Amphitheater

DIA DE MUERTOS GROUP SHOW

Visit The Hardy & Nance Studios for the opening of their 11th annual Dia de Muertos group art show starting this Friday, Oct. 23 from 4-9 p.m. Visitors are welcome to bring photos of their loved ones to place on the community altar included in the exhibit, which will be on view until Nov. 1. Masks and social distancing are required. 

The Hardy & Nance Studios

902 Hardy Street

HOUSTON JAZZ FESTIVAL

The 2020 Houston Jazz Festival will stream live from Miller Outdoor Theater this Sunday, Oct. 25 from 6-9 p.m. Tune in to hear performances from Grammy award-winning musicians as they pay homage to jazz legend Art Blakey. The event will stream on several platforms including the Miller Outdoor Theater YouTube channel; visit houstonjazzfestival.org for more information. 

ARTISTS IN DIALOGUE

The Moody Center for the Arts will host a Zoom conversation with Catherine Opie, “States of Mind: Art and American Democracy” artist and directors from Meadows Mental Health Policy Institute to discuss the impact of our current political climate on mental health this Thursday, Oct. 22 from 6-7 p.m. To access the Zoom link, register for free here.  

PRINT:  To access the Zoom link, register for free at bit.ly/3dEoyKl.

Review: The Weeknd’s ‘Dawn FM’ is a purgatorial meditation on love and lust

There’s something surreal about seeing someone you listened to when you were younger perform with white hair and wrinkles. While this experience is typically reserved for people who have long graduated college, The Weeknd’s album cover and videos for his new album “Dawn FM” artificially accelerate this. To promote the album, Abel Tesfaye (The Weeknd) staged a livestream via Amazon of the album being played for a live audience where he stood in the center of a neon-lit platform, dancing and reacting to the music. Like his previous Super Bowl performance and the music video series for “After Hours,” he committed to the character created on the album cover, performing with the aged face and white hair seen on the promotional imagery.

Spring into the arts (at the last minute)

With the spring semester upon us, those who are still short on hours or want another class to add to their schedule can rest easy. Below are some open arts-related classes which range from visual arts to film to music. These classes have something for everyone and accommodate a variety of skill levels, allowing students the chance to try things that might have otherwise been out of their comfort zone. As we spend the first two weeks on Zoom dreaming of classes with available seats, here are several to consider during the add/drop period.