Monday, April 19, 2021 — Houston, TX 58°

10/21 weekly scenes & screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     10/20/20 10:09pm

NO MAN’S LAND

Rice Outdoor Programs & Education and No Man’s Land Film Festival will screen a collection of films highlighting women in their pursuits of adventure, challenge and environmental connection, this Friday, Oct. 23 at 6:30 p.m. Tickets for this limited-seating outdoor screening are free for Rice community members. Visit recstore.rice.edu to reserve tickets. 

Dell Butcher Hall Outdoor Amphitheater

DIA DE MUERTOS GROUP SHOW

Visit The Hardy & Nance Studios for the opening of their 11th annual Dia de Muertos group art show starting this Friday, Oct. 23 from 4-9 p.m. Visitors are welcome to bring photos of their loved ones to place on the community altar included in the exhibit, which will be on view until Nov. 1. Masks and social distancing are required. 

The Hardy & Nance Studios

902 Hardy Street

HOUSTON JAZZ FESTIVAL

The 2020 Houston Jazz Festival will stream live from Miller Outdoor Theater this Sunday, Oct. 25 from 6-9 p.m. Tune in to hear performances from Grammy award-winning musicians as they pay homage to jazz legend Art Blakey. The event will stream on several platforms including the Miller Outdoor Theater YouTube channel; visit houstonjazzfestival.org for more information. 

ARTISTS IN DIALOGUE

The Moody Center for the Arts will host a Zoom conversation with Catherine Opie, “States of Mind: Art and American Democracy” artist and directors from Meadows Mental Health Policy Institute to discuss the impact of our current political climate on mental health this Thursday, Oct. 22 from 6-7 p.m. To access the Zoom link, register for free here.  

PRINT:  To access the Zoom link, register for free at bit.ly/3dEoyKl.

Review: Taylor Swift reclaims her artistry with re-recorded album “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)”

Fans got their first taste of Taylor Swift’s re-recorded album, “Fearless (Taylor’s Version),” when a snippet of “Love Story” was used in Ryan Reynolds’ Tinder commercial last December. The full album was released on April 9 and includes remastered versions of every song from the platinum edition of Swift’s 2008 album, “Fearless,” along with six unreleased songs “from the vault” that were cut from the original project. The re-release is largely unchanged from the original in terms of her familiar vocals on fan-favorite singles like “You Belong With Me.” Still, the album epitomizes the singer-songwriter’s artistic growth over the past decade and serves as the first step to Swift regaining ownership of her music, making “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)” a worthwhile listen for returning fans and new listeners alike.  

KTRU Outdoor Show brings music, art to campus scene and virtual screens

As the close of the semester approaches, KTRU wants to help end the academic year on a high note. KTRU’s annual Outdoor Show will round out the end of the semester — albeit in a different format than what we have seen in years past. On April 24 from 12 p.m. to 10 p.m., the Rice community will have the chance to gather in the central quad — distanced and masked — for what Katelyn Landry, this year’s organizer for ODS, called a “mini music and art festival.” This year’s show will consist of screenings and livestreams of artists’ pre-recorded sets, an art installation, Houston food trucks on sight and an opportunity for the Rice community to connect with each other through music and art whether in-person or virtually.