Sunday, September 26, 2021 — Houston, TX °

10/14 weekly scenes & screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     10/13/20 8:00pm

ART HOP

Think pub crawl — but for art! Visit Sawyer Yards on Sunday, Oct. 18 from 3 to 6 p.m. for a socially distanced, self-guided tour of the campus where local artists will be showing their work at each stop. Visit five artists and receive a prize from Holler Brewing Co. 

Sawyer Yards

2101 Winter Street

EQUITABLE DESIGN

Design for America Rice & Rice Design will welcome Cassy Gibson (Duncan College ’17) to lead a virtual workshop on inclusive and accessible design this Thursday, Oct. 15 at 7 p.m. Gibson will discuss the disability market and equip designers with tools to market to this community. 

Visit the Rice Design Facebook page to access the Zoom link.

GROOVY LIKE A DRIVE-IN MOVIE

Enjoy a retro drive-in experience with Rooftop Cinema Club. From Oct. 16-31, catch Halloween favorites like “Hocus Pocus” and “Beetlejuice” to ring in the spooky season. To view the film schedule and purchase tickets, visit the Rooftop Cinema Club website and choose “The Drive-In at Sawyer Yards.”

Silos at Sawyer Yards

2301 Summer Street

A PORTRAIT OF ROBERT F. KENNEDY

Main Street Theater will present a virtual production of “RFK: A Portrait of the Life of Robert F. Kennedy” from Oct. 15-25. Local actor Joel Sandel will reprise the role of Bobby Kennedy in this solo production. Tickets are available on a pay-what-you-can scale starting at $15, and the streaming link will be available upon purchase. 

For tickets and more information, visit mainstreettheater.com/rfk/

Review: ‘Malignant’ continually disappoints

“Malignant” has given me trust issues with director James Wan. With “The Conjuring,” “Insidious” and even “Aquaman,” I assumed any movie directed by Wan would be at least enjoyable to watch. Well, “Malignant” was the opposite of that. Filled with a storyline that drags on, predictable twists and a contrived plot, “Malignant” is a movie to stay far away from.

Rice returns to in-person theater

From canceled shows to Zoom rehearsals and socially distanced performances, theatre students and faculty at Rice have spent the past year adapting to the shifting restrictions of the COVID-19 pandemic. When COVID-19 forced students back home during Cole Thompson’s freshman year, they had the chance to witness first-hand some of the initial attempts at remote theater at Rice. Thompson, a Martel College junior, said that the student-written show they were involved in got converted into a radio play, and that they continued to participate in remote theater productions the following year.