Wednesday, October 21, 2020 — Houston, TX °

10/14 weekly scenes & screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     10/13/20 8:00pm

ART HOP

Think pub crawl — but for art! Visit Sawyer Yards on Sunday, Oct. 18 from 3 to 6 p.m. for a socially distanced, self-guided tour of the campus where local artists will be showing their work at each stop. Visit five artists and receive a prize from Holler Brewing Co. 

Sawyer Yards

2101 Winter Street

EQUITABLE DESIGN

Design for America Rice & Rice Design will welcome Cassy Gibson (Duncan College ’17) to lead a virtual workshop on inclusive and accessible design this Thursday, Oct. 15 at 7 p.m. Gibson will discuss the disability market and equip designers with tools to market to this community. 

Visit the Rice Design Facebook page to access the Zoom link.

GROOVY LIKE A DRIVE-IN MOVIE

Enjoy a retro drive-in experience with Rooftop Cinema Club. From Oct. 16-31, catch Halloween favorites like “Hocus Pocus” and “Beetlejuice” to ring in the spooky season. To view the film schedule and purchase tickets, visit the Rooftop Cinema Club website and choose “The Drive-In at Sawyer Yards.”

Silos at Sawyer Yards

2301 Summer Street

A PORTRAIT OF ROBERT F. KENNEDY

Main Street Theater will present a virtual production of “RFK: A Portrait of the Life of Robert F. Kennedy” from Oct. 15-25. Local actor Joel Sandel will reprise the role of Bobby Kennedy in this solo production. Tickets are available on a pay-what-you-can scale starting at $15, and the streaming link will be available upon purchase. 

For tickets and more information, visit mainstreettheater.com/rfk/

ON/OFF to showcase digitally interactive student art across campus

Inspired by the diversity and creativity of on- and off-campus life during a pandemic, ON/OFF is an upcoming student art show meant to be a window into that new mode of living. Organized by eight visual and dramatic arts students, the dual-delivery show will be presented in partnership with Sleepy Cyborg Gallery in nine locations around campus from Oct. 23-31. The show encourages Rice students to contribute their own art over its course. 

Seven spooky movies to stream this spooky season

A spooky movie list? In this economy? Though I doubt that anything on this list will scare you more than the horror movie we are currently living through (an exquisite mélange of “Contagion,” “Get Out” and select episodes of “Black Mirror”), these films might get your heart racing just enough to temporarily subdue your existential dread.