Wednesday, May 12, 2021 — Houston, TX 63°

9/9 scenes and screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Katelyn Landry     9/8/20 10:18pm

KEEPER OF THE HEARTH

Join the Houston Center of Photography on Thursday, Sept. 10 at 6:30 p.m. for the virtual opening reception of “Keeper of the Hearth: Picturing Roland Barthes’ Unseen Photograph,” an exhibition celebrating the 40th anniversary of Roland Barthes’ renowned work, “Camera Lucida.”

To register for the virtual event, click here.

HOUSTON RESTAURANT WEEKS

Houston Restaurant Weeks is the largest annual fundraiser for the Houston Food Bank, helping boost the local restaurant industry and fight food insecurity by offering special menus and discounts at participating restaurants. This year, the fundraiser has been extended through Sept. 30. To see a list of participating restaurants, click here. 

STAGES STUDIO SESSIONS

Stages, a local theater company, presents Studio Sessions, a series of performances by Houston artists available for digital streaming. Tune in this weekend for Stages’ fourth installment of its virtual Studio Sessions featuring a musical performance by local actress and Rice alumna Tamara Siler (Brown College ’87). The performance will be available to view starting Friday, Sept. 11 at 7:30 p.m. and through Sept. 13 on demand. To receive the streaming link, register here.

CREATIVE CONVERSATIONS

African curator and organizer Azu Nwagbogu will be in conversation with Steven Evans, director of Houston-based art collective FotoFest, this Saturday, Sept. 12 from 2 - 3:30 p.m. Register here to watch live and interact via Zoom, or watch live on FotoFest's YouTube channel as the curators discuss contemporary African photography. 

Where to find Houston’s best hot chicken sandwiches

When the Hoot brought the Popeyes spicy chicken sandwich to Rice in 2019, students formed a line that ran past the info desk to wait for it. Hot chicken is no recent phenomenon. The fried chicken, floured, fried and covered in a spice blend, hails from Nashville, Tennessee. Students may not realize that Houston’s hot chicken scene extends well beyond Popeyes, from food trucks to brick-and-mortar stores. The two of us, the Thresher’s self-proclaimed hot chicken connoisseurs, decided to venture beyond the hedges in search of the best Nashville hot chicken sandwich in Houston.