Wednesday, September 23, 2020 — Houston, TX °

9/9 scenes and screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Katelyn Landry     9/8/20 10:18pm

KEEPER OF THE HEARTH

Join the Houston Center of Photography on Thursday, Sept. 10 at 6:30 p.m. for the virtual opening reception of “Keeper of the Hearth: Picturing Roland Barthes’ Unseen Photograph,” an exhibition celebrating the 40th anniversary of Roland Barthes’ renowned work, “Camera Lucida.”

To register for the virtual event, click here.

HOUSTON RESTAURANT WEEKS

Houston Restaurant Weeks is the largest annual fundraiser for the Houston Food Bank, helping boost the local restaurant industry and fight food insecurity by offering special menus and discounts at participating restaurants. This year, the fundraiser has been extended through Sept. 30. To see a list of participating restaurants, click here. 

STAGES STUDIO SESSIONS

Stages, a local theater company, presents Studio Sessions, a series of performances by Houston artists available for digital streaming. Tune in this weekend for Stages’ fourth installment of its virtual Studio Sessions featuring a musical performance by local actress and Rice alumna Tamara Siler (Brown College ’87). The performance will be available to view starting Friday, Sept. 11 at 7:30 p.m. and through Sept. 13 on demand. To receive the streaming link, register here.

CREATIVE CONVERSATIONS

African curator and organizer Azu Nwagbogu will be in conversation with Steven Evans, director of Houston-based art collective FotoFest, this Saturday, Sept. 12 from 2 - 3:30 p.m. Register here to watch live and interact via Zoom, or watch live on FotoFest's YouTube channel as the curators discuss contemporary African photography. 

Podcasts: Rice Students Takeover

The beauty of podcasts comes from their convenience — plug in your headphones, press play and go about your day — you’ll find that more often than not, podcasts will fall seamlessly into your schedule. While plenty of Rice students have turned to podcasts to break up the monotony of their routine, a handful of owls have traded headphones for microphones and started shows of their own. If, like me, you’ve struggled to fill the empty stretches of silence of your days in quarantine, consider listening to these four podcasts created by your fellow Rice students.   

A First Look into the Moody’s Fall 2020 Exhibition: States of Mind: Art and American Democracy

What really is democracy? What does it mean to be a democracy and what does it entail? The Moody Center for the Arts’s new fall exhibition, “States of Mind: Art and American Democracy,” seeks to answer these questions, although perhaps not in the way you might imagine. Moody’s newest exhibit, organized by Associate Curator Ylinka Barotto, introduces new perspectives and angles from artists telling their own stories in their own ways, particularly focusing on national issues affecting Texas. Its goal is to drive new thoughts and deeper revelations in viewers. Art, after all, is not about giving direct answers, but coming to your own.  

Bakerites channel anxieties into art in new exhibit, “PANDEMIA”

Any other year, Baker College’s P-Quad would be bustling with people gathering to eat, study, and socialize. COVID-19 restrictions this semester have subdued some of that energy, but recently, students and faculty across Rice have been flocking there for an unexpected reason. For the next month, P-Quad will be home to PANDEMIA: an outdoor art exhibit featuring students’ perspectives on the COVID-19 pandemic.