Wednesday, March 03, 2021 — Houston, TX 41°

9/9 scenes and screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Katelyn Landry     9/8/20 10:18pm

KEEPER OF THE HEARTH

Join the Houston Center of Photography on Thursday, Sept. 10 at 6:30 p.m. for the virtual opening reception of “Keeper of the Hearth: Picturing Roland Barthes’ Unseen Photograph,” an exhibition celebrating the 40th anniversary of Roland Barthes’ renowned work, “Camera Lucida.”

To register for the virtual event, click here.

HOUSTON RESTAURANT WEEKS

Houston Restaurant Weeks is the largest annual fundraiser for the Houston Food Bank, helping boost the local restaurant industry and fight food insecurity by offering special menus and discounts at participating restaurants. This year, the fundraiser has been extended through Sept. 30. To see a list of participating restaurants, click here. 

STAGES STUDIO SESSIONS

Stages, a local theater company, presents Studio Sessions, a series of performances by Houston artists available for digital streaming. Tune in this weekend for Stages’ fourth installment of its virtual Studio Sessions featuring a musical performance by local actress and Rice alumna Tamara Siler (Brown College ’87). The performance will be available to view starting Friday, Sept. 11 at 7:30 p.m. and through Sept. 13 on demand. To receive the streaming link, register here.

CREATIVE CONVERSATIONS

African curator and organizer Azu Nwagbogu will be in conversation with Steven Evans, director of Houston-based art collective FotoFest, this Saturday, Sept. 12 from 2 - 3:30 p.m. Register here to watch live and interact via Zoom, or watch live on FotoFest's YouTube channel as the curators discuss contemporary African photography. 

Out of the shadows: “Electrifying Design” celebrates century of light

Just days after the city of Houston was in its most desperate need of light, the Museum of Fine Arts Houston unveiled an unparalleled beacon of brilliance. “Electrifying Design: A Century of Lighting” opened last week as the first large-scale U.S. exhibition to examine both the technological and artistic innovations in international lighting design. Through three thematic galleries, audiences are invited to see lamps, chandeliers and the humble bulb in a whole new light.  

‘The United States vs. Billie Holiday’: Andra Day shines while others are left behind

It can be hard to imagine that Andra Day, who plays legendary jazz singer Billie Holiday in “The United States vs. Billie Holiday,” has never played a leading role before. Better known for her success in the R&B music scene than on the silver screen, Day beautifully captures the spotlight and Holiday’s essence: her swagger, her love for gaudy jewelry and clothes and especially her voice. The same success, however, cannot be said for the rest of the movie, directed by Lee Daniels and written by Suzan-Lori Park. Though it boasts a talented star-studded cast, "The United States vs. Billie Holiday" largely fails to do justice to Holiday's life and legacy due to shallow writing and confusing plot development. 

Top 10 Best of Daft Punk

On Feb. 22, electronic duo Daft Punk unexpectedly announced their retirement after 28 years of prolific influence on the music industry with a short video featuring one of the duo's robots dramatically exploding. Emerging in 1993 out of the Paris underground rave scene, Daft Punk’s music effortlessly combined influences from disco, funk, R&B and even the Chicago house genre. The duo’s enigmatic robot personas allowed them to avoid the media and uniquely transcend the limitations of age, relevance and appearance to continuously create musical masterpieces. By choosing anonymity, Daft Punk maintained a focus on their creative freedom and musical quality, managing to evade the corrupting forces of fame and ego.