Saturday, November 27, 2021 — Houston, TX °

9/9 scenes and screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Katelyn Landry     9/8/20 10:18pm

KEEPER OF THE HEARTH

Join the Houston Center of Photography on Thursday, Sept. 10 at 6:30 p.m. for the virtual opening reception of “Keeper of the Hearth: Picturing Roland Barthes’ Unseen Photograph,” an exhibition celebrating the 40th anniversary of Roland Barthes’ renowned work, “Camera Lucida.”

To register for the virtual event, click here.

HOUSTON RESTAURANT WEEKS

Houston Restaurant Weeks is the largest annual fundraiser for the Houston Food Bank, helping boost the local restaurant industry and fight food insecurity by offering special menus and discounts at participating restaurants. This year, the fundraiser has been extended through Sept. 30. To see a list of participating restaurants, click here. 

STAGES STUDIO SESSIONS

Stages, a local theater company, presents Studio Sessions, a series of performances by Houston artists available for digital streaming. Tune in this weekend for Stages’ fourth installment of its virtual Studio Sessions featuring a musical performance by local actress and Rice alumna Tamara Siler (Brown College ’87). The performance will be available to view starting Friday, Sept. 11 at 7:30 p.m. and through Sept. 13 on demand. To receive the streaming link, register here.

CREATIVE CONVERSATIONS

African curator and organizer Azu Nwagbogu will be in conversation with Steven Evans, director of Houston-based art collective FotoFest, this Saturday, Sept. 12 from 2 - 3:30 p.m. Register here to watch live and interact via Zoom, or watch live on FotoFest's YouTube channel as the curators discuss contemporary African photography. 

Review: ‘Passing’ is a must-see product of its actors’ skill and excellent direction

Early in “Passing,” the movie’s protagonist Irene Redfield (Tessa Thompson) declares, “I have everything I’ve ever wanted.” This is a pretty good sign that Redfield, in fact, does not have everything she has ever wanted. At first glance, Redfield has a picturesque life: two children, an attractive doctor husband and a maid to tend to their beautiful house. But through a well-constructed slow burn plot, “Passing” reveals that Redfield has merely repressed her discontent. 

Budget Bites: Rosalie Italian Soul

Budgeting as a college student can be difficult, especially when it comes to finding places to eat. Ordering in can lead to hefty delivery costs and fees, and cheap fast food can become repetitive quickly. Although at first glance, the price of the menu may appear comparatively steep, Rosalie Italian Soul offers a number of finds for both lunch and dinner under $20.