Sunday, January 23, 2022 — Houston, TX °

9/2 scenes and screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Katelyn Landry     9/1/20 7:19pm

AUDRE LORDE DOCUMENTARY

As part of the Goethe Institut’s “Queer as German Folk” exhibit, the documentary film “Audre Lorde — The Berlin Years 1984 to 1992” will be available to digitally stream for free from Sept. 4 10 a.m. CST to Sept. 6 12 a.m. CST. To receive the streaming link by email, register here

PUBLIC POETRY

Join Houston Public Library for its final Public Poetry summer series event this Saturday, Sept. 5 at 2 p.m. via Zoom. Enjoy free live readings from acclaimed poets January O’Neil, Khaya  Osborne, Aris Kian and Alexis Mercedes. Where’s the *snap* reaction on Zoom? Register here!

PRISMATIC TAIWAN

Celebrate the past and present of queer Taiwanese cinema during Prismatic Taiwan, a virtual, six-film series co-presented by Taiwan Academy Houston. All films will be available for streaming in the U.S. only from Sept. 4 to Sept. 13. Presale series passes are available at a discounted price until Sept. 3, so don’t delay! Purchase your tickets here

OPEN DANCE PROJECT

Visit the Moody Center for the Arts’ YouTube channel on Sept. 4 at noon CST to witness a performance by Open Dance Project, a Houston dance company, a response to Erin Curtis’s public art installation “Light Shift” accompanied by live music. Tune in here

Review: FKA Twigs showcases dazzling candy-pop on ‘Caprisongs’

“Hey, I made you a mixtape / Because when I feel you, I feel me / And when I feel me, it feels good,” breathes FKA Twigs in “ride the dragon,” the first track on her latest album, “CAPRISONGS.” Released on Jan. 14, “CAPRISONGS” is a love letter to friendship, music, adventure, collaboration and, most of all, to Twigs herself. A drastic departure from the divine, heartrending emotion of “MAGDALENE,” its follow-up is a blitzy, feature-filled mirage of candied pop. Described by Twigs as “bronzer in the sink, alco pop on the side, a cherry lolly… a club pre-game, meeting a friend at the airport, just togetherness,” the album is studded with plastic rhinestones. Though “CAPRISONGS” sporadically falls prey to underdeveloped interludes and forgettable songs, its otherworldly synth frenzy renders it a respectable recovery mixtape. 

Review: Hanya Yanagihara’s 'To Paradise' — It took me there

The first man will never have to work in his life, in fact he is so wealthy he can leave everything to chase love. The second man is a broke paralegal who fled from his homeland and is now dating his wealthy boss. The third is a successful virologist, whose very success has trapped him instead of freeing him.

Review: Earl Sweatshirt embraces lush production and a newfound openness on ‘SICK!’

Earl Sweatshirt’s “SICK!” sees him use his shortcomings as fuel for a personal rebirth and desire for self-improvement. A lot has changed for Earl since his 2019 EP, “FEET OF CLAY.” At that time, he had been struggling with alcohol addiction and “an endless loop of self-harm and isolation.” Now, he has been working towards recovery by reducing alcohol and drug use while trying to be a good father to his young son.