Wednesday, September 23, 2020 — Houston, TX °

9/2 scenes and screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Katelyn Landry     9/1/20 7:19pm

AUDRE LORDE DOCUMENTARY

As part of the Goethe Institut’s “Queer as German Folk” exhibit, the documentary film “Audre Lorde — The Berlin Years 1984 to 1992” will be available to digitally stream for free from Sept. 4 10 a.m. CST to Sept. 6 12 a.m. CST. To receive the streaming link by email, register here

PUBLIC POETRY

Join Houston Public Library for its final Public Poetry summer series event this Saturday, Sept. 5 at 2 p.m. via Zoom. Enjoy free live readings from acclaimed poets January O’Neil, Khaya  Osborne, Aris Kian and Alexis Mercedes. Where’s the *snap* reaction on Zoom? Register here!

PRISMATIC TAIWAN

Celebrate the past and present of queer Taiwanese cinema during Prismatic Taiwan, a virtual, six-film series co-presented by Taiwan Academy Houston. All films will be available for streaming in the U.S. only from Sept. 4 to Sept. 13. Presale series passes are available at a discounted price until Sept. 3, so don’t delay! Purchase your tickets here

OPEN DANCE PROJECT

Visit the Moody Center for the Arts’ YouTube channel on Sept. 4 at noon CST to witness a performance by Open Dance Project, a Houston dance company, a response to Erin Curtis’s public art installation “Light Shift” accompanied by live music. Tune in here

Podcasts: Rice Students Takeover

The beauty of podcasts comes from their convenience — plug in your headphones, press play and go about your day — you’ll find that more often than not, podcasts will fall seamlessly into your schedule. While plenty of Rice students have turned to podcasts to break up the monotony of their routine, a handful of owls have traded headphones for microphones and started shows of their own. If, like me, you’ve struggled to fill the empty stretches of silence of your days in quarantine, consider listening to these four podcasts created by your fellow Rice students.   

A First Look into the Moody’s Fall 2020 Exhibition: States of Mind: Art and American Democracy

What really is democracy? What does it mean to be a democracy and what does it entail? The Moody Center for the Arts’s new fall exhibition, “States of Mind: Art and American Democracy,” seeks to answer these questions, although perhaps not in the way you might imagine. Moody’s newest exhibit, organized by Associate Curator Ylinka Barotto, introduces new perspectives and angles from artists telling their own stories in their own ways, particularly focusing on national issues affecting Texas. Its goal is to drive new thoughts and deeper revelations in viewers. Art, after all, is not about giving direct answers, but coming to your own.  

Bakerites channel anxieties into art in new exhibit, “PANDEMIA”

Any other year, Baker College’s P-Quad would be bustling with people gathering to eat, study, and socialize. COVID-19 restrictions this semester have subdued some of that energy, but recently, students and faculty across Rice have been flocking there for an unexpected reason. For the next month, P-Quad will be home to PANDEMIA: an outdoor art exhibit featuring students’ perspectives on the COVID-19 pandemic.