9/16 scenes and screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     9/15/20 9:56pm

ANTEBELLUM

Janelle Monáe in “Antebellum.” Courtesy Lionsgate 

See singer-turned-actress Janelle Monáe star in the highly anticipated psychological thriller “Antebellum” when it releases for at-home digital viewing this Friday, Sept. 18. From the producer of blockbuster films “Get Out” and “Us,” “Antebellum” is anticipated to offer social commentary on the horrors of slavery and its legacy today. 

“Antebellum” will be available to stream on all major digital and cable retailers. Visit lionsgate.com/movies/antebellum/watch to see the full list of providers. 

STATES OF MIND

Courtesy Moody Center for the Arts

This weekend marks the opening of the Moody Center for the Arts’ Fall 2020 exhibition, “States of Mind: Art and American Democracy.” Timed to coincide with the 2020 presidential election, the exhibit will focus on U.S. policies and the country’s founding principles. The opening receptions are currently sold out, but “States of Mind” will be available for viewing during Moody’s regular operating hours beginning this Friday, Sept. 18. 

Moody Center for the Arts

6100 Main Street

RICE DESIGN

Courtesy Rice Design

Rice’s graphic design student club will present its first guest speaker event this Thursday, Sept. 17 from 7 to 8 p.m. CDT via Zoom. Sid Richardson College senior Tina Liu will speak about her vast design experience at Rice and beyond, and will hold a Q&A session at the end of the event. Visit the Rice Design Facebook page for Zoom access information. (Disclaimer: Tina Liu is the Art Director for the Rice Thresher.)

FREE HBO MAX

From left, Courtney B. Vance, Jonathan Majors and Jurnee Smollett in “Lovecraft Country.” Courtesy HBO 

Did you know on-campus Rice students get free access to HBO Max? Stream new releases like teen comedy “Unpregnant” and horror series “Lovecraft Country,” or crowd favorites like drama series “Euphoria” and “Westworld” by signing into HBO Max with Rice University as a provider. Happy streaming!  

Visit play.hbomax.com to sign up.