Saturday, October 23, 2021 — Houston, TX °

9/30 weekly screens and scenes

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     9/29/20 11:10pm

THE CONDOR & THE EAGLE

The Citizens Environmental Coalition will host the virtual Houston premiere of award-winning climate justice documentary “The Condor and the Eagle” this Wednesday, Sept. 30 at 6 p.m. CST. Tickets are available on a sliding scale with proceeds benefiting the film’s community impact campaign. 

PARABLES & EVERYDAY STORIES

“Parables & Everyday Stories,” the third solo exhibition from Houston-based multidisciplinary artist Lillian Warren will open at Anya Tish Gallery this Friday, Oct. 2. The gallery is open for visitors by appointment only, but “Parables & Everyday Stories” is also available for online viewing at the Anya Tish Gallery website

ADIO KERIDA

As part of its 2020 Latinx Heritage Month Virtual Lecture and Film Series, Holocaust Museum Houston will virtually screen “Adio Kerida,” a documentary about the search for identity and history among Sephardic Jews with roots in Cuba, this Wednesday, Sept. 30 at 6 p.m. CST. The film will be followed by a Q&A with University of Michigan professor of anthropology Dr. Ruth Behar. Register in advance to receive the streaming link here.  

ARTIST TALK

ASTR* Art and Design Magazine will host local artist Michael Stevenson for a virtual talk this Thursday, Oct. 1 at 7:30 p.m. CST. Stevenson will talk about his artistic influences and work with Houston urban art collective Project Row Houses. Register for the event via OwlNest. 

Spice it Up: Fall Playlist

Now that fall and the return of autumn seasonal drinks have finally rolled around, it is time to (pumpkin) spice up our playlists. Whether you use Spotify or Apple Music (and, yes, there is a correct answer), here are some good options to add to your queue. This playlist offers plenty of different genres and languages, ranging from Funk to Bossa Nova and from Korean to Hebrew that you may not have heard before. 

Dining on a budget near campus

By this point in the semester, it’s understandable to begin lacking emotional excitement for servery food. We’ve all had our fair share of grilled chicken, caesar salads and fries, which have become somewhat repetitive for the palate. Luckily, Houston is a culinary extravaganza for lovers of all cuisines. If you’re looking for new, fresh bites, take a look at four affordable restaurants close to campus for your next meal.

Review: FINNEAS’s pervasive hopefulness and emotional songwriting shine in ‘Optimist’

“Optimist” expands upon FINNEAS’s melancholy songwriting and production skills to create a compelling and interesting debut album. FINNEAS is largely known for collaborations with his sister, Billie Eilish, who he produces and co-writes songs with. However, he also previously released an excellent EP, “Blood Harmony,” and an array of singles. FINNEAS’s first full-length album continues the lyricism seen in previous stand-out tracks like “I Lost a Friend” and “I Don’t Miss You at All,” albeit with a slightly different feeling reminiscent of Billie’s more introspective “Happier Than Ever.”