Wednesday, October 21, 2020 — Houston, TX °

9/30 weekly screens and scenes

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     9/29/20 11:10pm

THE CONDOR & THE EAGLE

The Citizens Environmental Coalition will host the virtual Houston premiere of award-winning climate justice documentary “The Condor and the Eagle” this Wednesday, Sept. 30 at 6 p.m. CST. Tickets are available on a sliding scale with proceeds benefiting the film’s community impact campaign. 

PARABLES & EVERYDAY STORIES

“Parables & Everyday Stories,” the third solo exhibition from Houston-based multidisciplinary artist Lillian Warren will open at Anya Tish Gallery this Friday, Oct. 2. The gallery is open for visitors by appointment only, but “Parables & Everyday Stories” is also available for online viewing at the Anya Tish Gallery website

ADIO KERIDA

As part of its 2020 Latinx Heritage Month Virtual Lecture and Film Series, Holocaust Museum Houston will virtually screen “Adio Kerida,” a documentary about the search for identity and history among Sephardic Jews with roots in Cuba, this Wednesday, Sept. 30 at 6 p.m. CST. The film will be followed by a Q&A with University of Michigan professor of anthropology Dr. Ruth Behar. Register in advance to receive the streaming link here.  

ARTIST TALK

ASTR* Art and Design Magazine will host local artist Michael Stevenson for a virtual talk this Thursday, Oct. 1 at 7:30 p.m. CST. Stevenson will talk about his artistic influences and work with Houston urban art collective Project Row Houses. Register for the event via OwlNest. 

ON/OFF to showcase digitally interactive student art across campus

Inspired by the diversity and creativity of on- and off-campus life during a pandemic, ON/OFF is an upcoming student art show meant to be a window into that new mode of living. Organized by eight visual and dramatic arts students, the dual-delivery show will be presented in partnership with Sleepy Cyborg Gallery in nine locations around campus from Oct. 23-31. The show encourages Rice students to contribute their own art over its course. 

Seven spooky movies to stream this spooky season

A spooky movie list? In this economy? Though I doubt that anything on this list will scare you more than the horror movie we are currently living through (an exquisite mélange of “Contagion,” “Get Out” and select episodes of “Black Mirror”), these films might get your heart racing just enough to temporarily subdue your existential dread.