Wednesday, May 25, 2022 — Houston, TX

9/23 scenes and screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev and Katelyn Landry     9/22/20 11:00pm

QUEER PUNK BREAKOUT

Houston punk historian David Ensminger’s "Queer Punk Breakout," an indie documentary about queer spaces and personalities in punk culture, will be released by Goethe Pop Up Houston on Wednesday, Sept. 23 at 10 a.m. CST. Register in advance at this link to receive the video link at no charge upon release. 

PRINT: To receive the video link upon release, register in advance at bit.ly/3hPY1dI

LET IT BLEED

Join Insomnia Gallery for a celebration of body art at “Let It Bleed: An Online Tattoo Art Show” this Friday, Sept. 25. Starting at 7 p.m. CST, video preview of original works by local artists will premiere on YouTube. At 8 p.m., pieces will appear on the gallery’s website for sale.

Gulf Coast Reading Series

Lawndale Art Center and University of Houston literary journal “Gulf Coast” will present an installment of the Gulf Coast Reading Series featuring poet Eduardo C. Corral this Friday, Sept. 25 at 6:30 p.m CST. This event is free and open to the public, however distanced seating is limited and masks are required. Visit lawndalearts.org for updates on virtual participation options. 

Mary E. Bawden Sculpture Garden

4912 Main Street

HISPANIC HERITAGE TRIVIA

Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month by joining Hispanic Association for Cultural Enrichment at Rice and Society Of Latinx Alumni of Rice for a virtual evening of trivia about Latinx culture this Friday, Sept. 25 from 7:30 to 9 p.m. CST on Zoom. There will be trivia rounds for all ages and raffle prizes available throughout the night. RSVP here.