Wednesday, September 23, 2020 — Houston, TX °

8/26 scenes and screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Katelyn Landry     8/26/20 12:23am

“Acknowledgment” 

Catch Nathaniel Donnett’s outdoor installation, “Acknowledgement: The Historic Polyrhythm of Being(s),” before it closes next week. Backpacks, photos, and objects from Houston’s Third, Fourth and Fifth Ward communities adorn a large construction fence outside the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston. The installation is on view until Aug. 31 and accessible 24/7 — visit at night to see the backpacks illuminated with pulsing lights and try to figure out their Morse Code messages.

Contemporary Arts Museum Houston 

5216 Montrose Blvd

Low-Fi Returns

Join Rice Cinema this Thursday, Aug. 27 at 7 p.m. for its first Low-Fi screening of the new academic year, now streaming in a virtual format! Every Thursday, take a deep dive into the cinema’s archives for obscure, independent films. In honor of the first week of classes, this week’s retro cuts are VHS movies of students heading off to college. 

Tune into the livestream:

vimeo.com/ricemediacenter

twitch.tv/ricemediacenter

RPC Outdoor Craft Day

Celebrate the new semester by painting, decorating face masks and making postcards with Rice Program Council this Thursday, Aug. 27 from 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. Visit the RPC Facebook event page to sign up for a tent and time slot. RSVP required to attend. 

Central Quad

BYOChair Movie Night

Rice Cinema and the department of visual and dramatic arts will present musical comedy film “Hairspray”  in an outdoor, socially distanced movie night on Saturday, Aug. 29 at 8 p.m. Bring your own chair or blanket to the parking lot behind the Rice Media Center by 8:45 p.m. to enjoy the film at 9 p.m. Event capacity is limited to 50 people. Register to attend or be put on the waitlist here: https://bit.ly/3aPjT6Z.

Parking Lot 6

Podcasts: Rice Students Takeover

The beauty of podcasts comes from their convenience — plug in your headphones, press play and go about your day — you’ll find that more often than not, podcasts will fall seamlessly into your schedule. While plenty of Rice students have turned to podcasts to break up the monotony of their routine, a handful of owls have traded headphones for microphones and started shows of their own. If, like me, you’ve struggled to fill the empty stretches of silence of your days in quarantine, consider listening to these four podcasts created by your fellow Rice students.   

A First Look into the Moody’s Fall 2020 Exhibition: States of Mind: Art and American Democracy

What really is democracy? What does it mean to be a democracy and what does it entail? The Moody Center for the Arts’s new fall exhibition, “States of Mind: Art and American Democracy,” seeks to answer these questions, although perhaps not in the way you might imagine. Moody’s newest exhibit, organized by Associate Curator Ylinka Barotto, introduces new perspectives and angles from artists telling their own stories in their own ways, particularly focusing on national issues affecting Texas. Its goal is to drive new thoughts and deeper revelations in viewers. Art, after all, is not about giving direct answers, but coming to your own.  

Bakerites channel anxieties into art in new exhibit, “PANDEMIA”

Any other year, Baker College’s P-Quad would be bustling with people gathering to eat, study, and socialize. COVID-19 restrictions this semester have subdued some of that energy, but recently, students and faculty across Rice have been flocking there for an unexpected reason. For the next month, P-Quad will be home to PANDEMIA: an outdoor art exhibit featuring students’ perspectives on the COVID-19 pandemic.