Sunday, January 23, 2022 — Houston, TX °

8/26 scenes and screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Katelyn Landry     8/26/20 12:23am

“Acknowledgment” 

Catch Nathaniel Donnett’s outdoor installation, “Acknowledgement: The Historic Polyrhythm of Being(s),” before it closes next week. Backpacks, photos, and objects from Houston’s Third, Fourth and Fifth Ward communities adorn a large construction fence outside the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston. The installation is on view until Aug. 31 and accessible 24/7 — visit at night to see the backpacks illuminated with pulsing lights and try to figure out their Morse Code messages.

Contemporary Arts Museum Houston 

5216 Montrose Blvd

Low-Fi Returns

Join Rice Cinema this Thursday, Aug. 27 at 7 p.m. for its first Low-Fi screening of the new academic year, now streaming in a virtual format! Every Thursday, take a deep dive into the cinema’s archives for obscure, independent films. In honor of the first week of classes, this week’s retro cuts are VHS movies of students heading off to college. 

Tune into the livestream:

vimeo.com/ricemediacenter

twitch.tv/ricemediacenter

RPC Outdoor Craft Day

Celebrate the new semester by painting, decorating face masks and making postcards with Rice Program Council this Thursday, Aug. 27 from 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. Visit the RPC Facebook event page to sign up for a tent and time slot. RSVP required to attend. 

Central Quad

BYOChair Movie Night

Rice Cinema and the department of visual and dramatic arts will present musical comedy film “Hairspray”  in an outdoor, socially distanced movie night on Saturday, Aug. 29 at 8 p.m. Bring your own chair or blanket to the parking lot behind the Rice Media Center by 8:45 p.m. to enjoy the film at 9 p.m. Event capacity is limited to 50 people. Register to attend or be put on the waitlist here: https://bit.ly/3aPjT6Z.

Parking Lot 6

Review: FKA Twigs showcases dazzling candy-pop on ‘Caprisongs’

“Hey, I made you a mixtape / Because when I feel you, I feel me / And when I feel me, it feels good,” breathes FKA Twigs in “ride the dragon,” the first track on her latest album, “CAPRISONGS.” Released on Jan. 14, “CAPRISONGS” is a love letter to friendship, music, adventure, collaboration and, most of all, to Twigs herself. A drastic departure from the divine, heartrending emotion of “MAGDALENE,” its follow-up is a blitzy, feature-filled mirage of candied pop. Described by Twigs as “bronzer in the sink, alco pop on the side, a cherry lolly… a club pre-game, meeting a friend at the airport, just togetherness,” the album is studded with plastic rhinestones. Though “CAPRISONGS” sporadically falls prey to underdeveloped interludes and forgettable songs, its otherworldly synth frenzy renders it a respectable recovery mixtape. 

Review: Hanya Yanagihara’s 'To Paradise' — It took me there

The first man will never have to work in his life, in fact he is so wealthy he can leave everything to chase love. The second man is a broke paralegal who fled from his homeland and is now dating his wealthy boss. The third is a successful virologist, whose very success has trapped him instead of freeing him.

Review: Earl Sweatshirt embraces lush production and a newfound openness on ‘SICK!’

Earl Sweatshirt’s “SICK!” sees him use his shortcomings as fuel for a personal rebirth and desire for self-improvement. A lot has changed for Earl since his 2019 EP, “FEET OF CLAY.” At that time, he had been struggling with alcohol addiction and “an endless loop of self-harm and isolation.” Now, he has been working towards recovery by reducing alcohol and drug use while trying to be a good father to his young son.