8/26 scenes and screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Katelyn Landry     8/26/20 12:23am

“Acknowledgment” 

Catch Nathaniel Donnett’s outdoor installation, “Acknowledgement: The Historic Polyrhythm of Being(s),” before it closes next week. Backpacks, photos, and objects from Houston’s Third, Fourth and Fifth Ward communities adorn a large construction fence outside the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston. The installation is on view until Aug. 31 and accessible 24/7 — visit at night to see the backpacks illuminated with pulsing lights and try to figure out their Morse Code messages.

Contemporary Arts Museum Houston 

5216 Montrose Blvd

Low-Fi Returns

Join Rice Cinema this Thursday, Aug. 27 at 7 p.m. for its first Low-Fi screening of the new academic year, now streaming in a virtual format! Every Thursday, take a deep dive into the cinema’s archives for obscure, independent films. In honor of the first week of classes, this week’s retro cuts are VHS movies of students heading off to college. 

Tune into the livestream:

vimeo.com/ricemediacenter

twitch.tv/ricemediacenter

RPC Outdoor Craft Day

Celebrate the new semester by painting, decorating face masks and making postcards with Rice Program Council this Thursday, Aug. 27 from 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. Visit the RPC Facebook event page to sign up for a tent and time slot. RSVP required to attend. 

Central Quad

BYOChair Movie Night

Rice Cinema and the department of visual and dramatic arts will present musical comedy film “Hairspray”  in an outdoor, socially distanced movie night on Saturday, Aug. 29 at 8 p.m. Bring your own chair or blanket to the parking lot behind the Rice Media Center by 8:45 p.m. to enjoy the film at 9 p.m. Event capacity is limited to 50 people. Register to attend or be put on the waitlist here: https://bit.ly/3aPjT6Z.

Parking Lot 6