Saturday, September 26, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Clancy Taylor, graduate student in the English department, dies at 25

image1

Clancy Taylor, right, with fellow graduate student Bren Ram, left. Photo courtesy Bren Ram.

By Ivanka Perez     5/29/20 10:38pm

Clancy Sheridan Taylor, a graduate student in the English department, died on May 16 at age 25. They had just received a Master of Arts in English for their two years of study. 

In an obituary for Taylor’s funeral service, Taylor’s parents wrote that they often spent free time reading or hanging out with friends.

“Known for ... quick wit and charm, Clancy was always willing to lend a helping hand to someone in need,” their parents wrote. “An avid reader and accomplished guitarist, [Clancy] enjoyed hanging out with [the] close-knit Rice cohort and spending time with extended family in Texas and Wisconsin during school breaks.”

Taylor attended the University of Chicago for their undergraduate studies, where they graduated with honors, receiving a Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts in comparative literature.

When Taylor entered Rice’s English doctoral program in the fall of 2018, they planned to specialize in comparative modernist literature and continental philosophy. Along with receiving a Master of Arts in English this past semester, they had also completed the Certificate in Critical Cultural Theory.

At Rice, Taylor was a Diana Hobby Fellow for the journal Studies in English Literature, and served on the executive board of the Humanities Graduate Student Association this school year. They were also part of a team that received the George R. Brown teaching grant to create an undergraduate class on race-making in the Middle Ages. 

“Clancy’s teachers, colleagues and friends, as well as the Rice staff members who knew them deeply mourn their death,” Rosemary Hennessy, chair of the English department, said. “I am sure students who came to know Clancy … recognized their talents as an insightful reader and a generous and thoughtful soul.”

Taylor is survived by their parents Tommy and Megan, as well as grandparents and other members of their extended family.

As a memorial for Taylor, their family has established the Clancy Taylor Fund, which aims to support graduate students in English like Taylor.

Black at Rice: Eden Desta extends an invitation

Filled with elaborate dance routines, emotional poetry and comedy skits that elicit roars of laughter, Africayé never ceases to catch the eye of students across campus. At the helm of the organization behind this lively cultural event this year is Eden Desta, current president of the Rice African Student Association. 

A First Look into the Moody’s Fall 2020 Exhibition: States of Mind: Art and American Democracy

What really is democracy? What does it mean to be a democracy and what does it entail? The Moody Center for the Arts’s new fall exhibition, “States of Mind: Art and American Democracy,” seeks to answer these questions, although perhaps not in the way you might imagine. Moody’s newest exhibit, organized by Associate Curator Ylinka Barotto, introduces new perspectives and angles from artists telling their own stories in their own ways, particularly focusing on national issues affecting Texas. Its goal is to drive new thoughts and deeper revelations in viewers. Art, after all, is not about giving direct answers, but coming to your own.