Friday, June 05, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Moments alone: 50 word stories from isolation

alone-yifeizhang
Illustration by Yifei Zhang

As we all exist in isolation from one another, it can be grounding to take a moment to reflect on where we are and how we're doing, and hear the same from others. With that in mind, the Thresher asked for  brief stories from the Rice community about what living in social isolation has been like. Here’s what people told us:

“My days have consisted of practicing violin, making covers to pop songs, baking and making and watching [way] too many TikTok videos. I'm starting to go crazy!” — Allison Smith (Baker ‘22), Dublin, OH

“Every time my email alert went off, I expected it to be a COVID-19 update from Rice. Unfortunately, that came true yesterday. Seniors, here's to an online graduation and can't wait to see y’all again in person!” — Anonymous, Houston, TX

“I’m still student teaching remotely, but I haven’t heard from a lot of my students and don’t know if they’re okay. Some students reached out because they’re facing eviction or abuse at home. I often feel guilty for taking more time to myself. I wish there was more I could do.” — Daniel Koh (Jones ‘20), Houston, TX

“Falling back into bad habits without anyone around to pull me out. Weighing myself ten times a day, scratching at my skin. Sometimes I get so lonely that my chest hurts and all I know how to do is take that pain out by picking, weighing, scratching, criticizing myself.” — Anonymous, Houston, TX

“I am studying, playing video games and eating. It's the kind of lifestyle I've been wanting, but now I'm starting to get bored because I can't go outside. I also miss my friends too much; I can't wait to see them.” — Izzy Mendoza (Duncan ‘23), Houston, TX

“No 60-mile round trip to work, working from home, barefoot at my desk, Zoom virgin (but learning fast), FaceTime with 89-year-old seeing the top of her head, worried, not sick and planning to stay alive!” — Anonymous, League City, TX

Editor’s Note: The submission form restricts submissions to users with valid Rice University email accounts. If you’d like to submit your own 50 word statement, fill out the form here. 

Rice for Black Life encourages Rice community to financially support Black activism

In the 2019 documentary “Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am,” Morrison encouraged those looking to make change to ask themselves, “What can I do where I am?” That sentiment sparked Summar McGee (Hanszen College ’20) to found Rice For Black Life, she said. Rice For Black Life is a Black-led coalition of 45 Rice students, Rice affiliates and community members seeking to “support Black liberation, the affirmation of Black life and the abolition of white power structures,” according to a recent email from the group.

Black at Rice: Through video games and community, Jaylen Carr finds his voice

Jaylen Carr grew up playing Nintendo video games — “If it had the Nintendo seal, I probably played it at some point,” he said — and loving everything about the multinational Japanese electronics and video game company. So when he received an internship offer from the Nintendo human resources department in the spring of his sophomore year, Carr said it felt like his stars had aligned.