Friday, July 01, 2022 — Houston, TX

On-campus admissions events cancelled over coronavirus concerns

gallery_medium

By Savannah Kuchar     3/10/20 8:23pm

With concerns about the potential spread of coronavirus on campus, the admissions office has taken precautions to limit the interaction with people outside the Rice community on campus. On-campus tours, lunch hosting and events for prospective students including Owl Days and Admit Days have been canceled through April 30.

Yvonne Romero da Silva, vice president for enrollment, said that these decisions were made to protect both students and staff on campus as well as visitors to the university.

“During the month of March and April we have many visitors on campus and our events regularly exceed 100,” Romero da Silva said. “To help families in planning and to provide clarity to our prospective students we choose to cancel our admission related engagements on campus.”

According to Romero da Silva, the university acknowledges that this may have an effect on recruitment. 

“We hope that this will not have a detrimental impact on enrollment for next year,” Romero da Silva said.

Romero da Silva said the admissions office plans to help their students employees find ways to continue to work despite these changes.

“We will work with our student tour guides and lunch hosts to provide alternative means to earn income for the semester,” Romero da Silva said. “There is certainly no shortage of things to do.  We will reach out to the students directly.”

According to Romero da Silva, the admissions office is currently considering alternatives to these on-campus admissions events. The offices of admission and financial aid will remain open to walk-in visitors.

“We are definitely exploring ways to share information about Rice and campus life,” Romero da Silva said. “We will be leveraging digital and virtual means. We would welcome ideas from the Rice community.”

Michigan professor Amy Dittmar named Rice’s next provost

Amy Dittmar, the senior vice provost for academic and budgetary affairs and a professor of economics and finance at the University of Michigan, has been selected as Rice’s new provost, incoming president Reginald DesRoches announced Thursday. DesRoches, the current provost, will become Rice’s president on July 1, and Dittmar will start August 1.

SA drafts formal complaint against Chi Alpha after discrimination accusations

The Student Association executive board drafted a formal complaint against the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship to present to University Court for violation of the SA Constitution nondiscrimination policy that every Rice organization is required to adhere to. This complaint comes in light of the recently published Thresher article, where several students shared their experience with discrimation within the club on the basis of sexual orientation.