Wednesday, September 23, 2020 — Houston, TX °

On-campus admissions events cancelled over coronavirus concerns

gallery_medium

By Savannah Kuchar     3/10/20 8:23pm

With concerns about the potential spread of coronavirus on campus, the admissions office has taken precautions to limit the interaction with people outside the Rice community on campus. On-campus tours, lunch hosting and events for prospective students including Owl Days and Admit Days have been canceled through April 30.

Yvonne Romero da Silva, vice president for enrollment, said that these decisions were made to protect both students and staff on campus as well as visitors to the university.

“During the month of March and April we have many visitors on campus and our events regularly exceed 100,” Romero da Silva said. “To help families in planning and to provide clarity to our prospective students we choose to cancel our admission related engagements on campus.”

According to Romero da Silva, the university acknowledges that this may have an effect on recruitment. 

“We hope that this will not have a detrimental impact on enrollment for next year,” Romero da Silva said.

Romero da Silva said the admissions office plans to help their students employees find ways to continue to work despite these changes.

“We will work with our student tour guides and lunch hosts to provide alternative means to earn income for the semester,” Romero da Silva said. “There is certainly no shortage of things to do.  We will reach out to the students directly.”

According to Romero da Silva, the admissions office is currently considering alternatives to these on-campus admissions events. The offices of admission and financial aid will remain open to walk-in visitors.

“We are definitely exploring ways to share information about Rice and campus life,” Romero da Silva said. “We will be leveraging digital and virtual means. We would welcome ideas from the Rice community.”

Rice ranked No. 16 in 2021 U.S. News rankings

Breaking its four-year tie with Cornell University, Rice University’s ranking tied with Washington University of St. Louis at No. 16 in the newly released U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Best National Universities list, one place up from No. 17 last year.

New Sid Rich on track to finish by Jan. 2021

Construction of the new Sid Richardson College building is on schedule to be completed by the start of the spring semester and will be ready for occupancy when students return in the spring, according to Anzilla Gilmore, senior project manager for new Sid.