Wednesday, August 10, 2022 — Houston, TX

Housing guide: Places to metro to!

metro-line
Infographic by Katherine Hu

By Anna Ta     2/26/20 12:12am

Memorial Hermann Hospital/Houston Zoo

This is the stop closest to the South Colleges, across Main Street from Sid Richardson College. A lot of quick food options are available, such as Chipotle, the Halal Guys and the newly-opened Juiceland. 

Hermann Park/Rice U

This is the stop closest to Brown College, on the corner of Fannin St. and Sunset Blvd.

Museum District

Get off here to see some of Houston’s best (you guessed it) museums, including the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, the Houston Natural Science Museum or take in the new Glassell School of Art and its sculpture garden. The MFAH has a great cafe space if you’re looking to study somewhere that’s not Fondren and want to easily get off campus without a car.

For the less educationally-oriented folks, consider Bodegas Taco Shop, an easy walk from the metro stop for Mexican food and great deals on margarita pitchers. While Bodegas is great for groups looking to relax after a long school week, if you’re looking for a place to take your date after all that art-going, consider MF Sushi for a pricey but yummy dinner. A little further away are the chiller eateries Dak & Bop (Korean fried chicken), Barnaby’s Cafe (decadent brunch) and Fadi’s Mediterranean Grill.

Ensemble HCC

Ugh, now this is Houston food. Get off here for The Breakfast Klub (and be prepared to wait), Tacos A Go Go (if you’re not tired of eating it at every catered food event at Rice), Diced Poke, Spicy Girl (Szechuan Chinese food) and Kura Revolving Sushi Bar. 

This is also Houston’s unofficial theatre district, with Midtown Arts and Theater Center Houston and The Ensemble Theatre just steps away.

McGowen

This is the stop for Midtown — which also means delicious and affordable Vietnamese food. While you might already know Pho Saigon, Les Givral’s is the place to be for a cheap rice or vermicelli plate and an iced ca phe sua da (extremely strong and sweet iced Vietnamese coffee). The new Cafe#13 also just opened in this plaza and has amazing banh mis with gorgeously toasted bread and just the right proportion of every ingredient. I seriously cannot recommend all of these places enough.

After dark, those of you over 21 can also get off this stop for Proof Rooftop Lounge (when it reopens) and its chill vibes when the weather is right, Mongoose versus Cobra for a board game night or group night out at one of the two karaoke bars.

Senior Spotlight: Isabel Sjodin talks chemical engineering and residential college leadership

Even though McMurtry College senior Isabel Sjodin was raised in Houston, she didn’t know much about Rice until her junior year of high school. She said the first time she was scheduled to tour Rice she ended up chatting with a Rice student on campus and missing said tour. However, that conversation and a later overnight visit at Sid Richardson College made a strong impression on her. 

Leebron reflects on his time at the corner of Sunset and Main

In his almost 18 years at Rice, President David Leebron said he’s never taken more than four weeks off at a time, despite having the option for a sabbatical every seven years. While he doesn’t know what his future career plans are after stepping down this summer, he plans to take full advantage of his delayed sabbatical.