Monday, November 28, 2022 — Houston, TX

Deadly shooting at Bellaire High School highlights need for tighter gun control

alexa-thomases-sent-in-herself-web
Courtesy Alexa Thomases

By Alexa Thomases     1/21/20 10:06pm

Fourteen days. That’s how long the U.S. went before its first fatal school shooting of 2020. Two weeks into the new decade, 19-year-old César Cortés was shot and killed at Bellaire High School, about five miles southwest of Rice. He was a Junior Reserve Officers Training Corpsmember who was enlisted in the Army and had aspirations of serving his country. His death is heart-wrenching. It was also preventable.

Horrifyingly, the suspected shooter is only 16 years old. He allegedly shot Cortés during an after-school JROTC gathering. The details regarding his intention remain murky. One thing, however, is clear: A 16-year-old should not have his hands on a gun.

America’s lack of gun control has taken yet another life. It’s long past time to put an end to senseless gun deaths like that of César Cortés.

This isn’t “the wrong time to talk about gun control.” School shootings in the U.S. are so frequent that if we wait until we’re not grieving one to discuss gun regulations, the conversation will never happen. This isn’t “politicizing his death.” This is fighting to prevent more innocent students like Cortés from losing their lives at the hands of loose gun ownership laws.

Thirty percent of American adults own guns, according to the Pew Research Center. The total per capita number of guns is higher in the U.S. than in any other country. Annually, around 40,000 Americans die from gun-related injuries — and this number is on the rise. To pretend that America doesn’t have a gun problem is to ignore the truth.

An even more troubling aspect of America’s gun culture, as highlighted by the Bellaire shooting, is the ease with which minors can access guns. There is nothing stopping a child from borrowing their parents’ guns, or, with some gun types, acquiring one of their own. The knowledge that children, with underdeveloped prefrontal cortices, can get their hands on a gun is nothing short of terrifying.

So how does this large-scale problem get fixed? One word: legislation.

Stricter gun control laws are the only way to prevent gun deaths. Plain and simple. The first step is expanding background checks to ensure that guns don’t fall into the wrong hands. Another crucial change is the implementation of “red flag” provisions allowing guns to be seized from individuals who are determined by peers or authorities to be a danger to themselves or others. The Pew Research Center reports that the majority of Americans support both policy changes.

The fatal shooting at Bellaire High School, right here in Houston, is frighteningly close to home. Our safety is at stake. Now is not the time to watch idly as our nation continues to be plagued by gun violence. Call your senators. Advocate for tighter gun regulation. Let’s put an end to these fatalities.

Where we must agree: the politics of humanness

The words “free speech” will likely elicit groans from Thresher readers. Over the last three years, there have been three articles in the Opinion section bemoaning the need for a “classically liberal” political discourse at Rice. Unfortunately, between their self-righteousness and needless wordiness, they read more like whiny lectures than conversation starters. However, despite their condescension, their existence does suggest something unsettling about not just our campus politics, but politics at large. As the electorates of democracies around the world have become more sharply divided, the way we speak to each other, not just across the aisle but to our similarly minded partisans, has become more accusatory, exclusionary and violent. Put simply: we do not want to talk to each other, and understandably so. It is exhausting, and, more than that, we just don’t seem to know how to.

Off-campus students should sublet their rooms to those who need winter break housing

For the first time since 2019, Rice is not allowing undergraduate students to remain in their on-campus housing during winter break. While this is a disappointing development, we understand why this decision needed to be made. Like students, staff need a break after a long semester. Further, keeping students on campus by providing housing over break was originally implemented to address pandemic travel restrictions, which are mostly gone. However, the need for winter housing is not gone. This decision still leaves some international students — or any other on-campus student looking to remain in Houston — scrambling for housing.

The Honor Council needs to act more responsibly

For the past year, I have served as an at-large representative on the Rice Honor Council. I have sat through dozens of cases, read hundreds of pages of evidence and spent countless hours working to improve the transparency and fairness of the Honor System. While there are a myriad of issues with the Honor System, as there are with any institutional system, there is one in particular that needs to be addressed with expediency. The Honor Council is currently not an effective deliberative body due to the general lack of engagement from some of its members, which include elected representatives.