Sunday, October 24, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Popfancy, Bellaire dessert shop, emerges from humble beginnings

popfancy-serena-shedore
Serena Shedore/Thresher

By Serena Shedore     11/5/19 9:30pm

Popfancy, a gourmet popsicle shop, celebrated the grand opening of its first permanent location in Bellaire on Saturday. 

The interior is whimsical, combining modern design with pink and iridescent decorations. Popfancy’s staple menu items are its gourmet popsicles, including flavors such as Thai tea, horchata and pineapple mojito. The new permanent location has expanded the menu to include more creative options, such as mochi waffles.

The popsicles are marketed as all-natural and made fresh daily, with frequently changing flavors according to trends and seasons. The founder, Chris Doan, described the beginnings of Popfancy as very humble. 

“We started this with pennies, no capital, no inve stment partners … It was all self-funded,” Doan said. “We started out on a tricycle going around town to different events, different neighborhoods, small little soccer games.” 

This mobile system eventually evolved from a catering model to a food truck and now, to a permanent storefront. Doan said he had no food experience, but had always loved branding and designing. He wanted something easy to brand, and so he decided on ice cream.

“I used to be an architect. [I] hated the corporate world. It was so much different than like what school was, so I wanted to find something to escape the corporate world,” Doan said. 

Doan explained that much of the inspiration behind Popfancy was recreating childhood nostalgia. Whether through its unique flavors, such as cereal milk popsicles, or the bright interior design, Doan intended for Popfancy to stand out from other ice cream shops. “I am a big Disney kid,” Doan said. “Walt Disney said this really amazing quote that always stuck with me — you never ever want to design for kids because adults are just kids grown up, so design for everybody. So I apply that to how Popfancy translates to branding.”

Doan’s favorite items include the mangonada, taro and avocado popsicles, as well as the flurry ice cream, which blends favorite childhood cereals with ice cream. “This is a place for us to get creative and think of whatever dessert trends are out there and create them ourselves,” said Doan.

I tried two of the gourmet popsicles, the cereal milk and strawberry cheesecake popsicles. The cereal milk popsicle, complete with Fruity Pebbles inside, reminded me of childhood breakfasts — it tastes exactly as its name suggests. 

The strawberry cheesecake popsicle satisfied my sweet tooth with its rich and creamy flavor topped off with a graham cracker crumble. Combining the classic childhood treat with sophisticated and unique flavors, Popfancy is the perfect dessert spot for anyone, but especially for the nostalgic.

Popfancy’s new location, 9393 Bellaire Blvd., Suite A6, is open from noon to 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and from noon to midnight Friday and Saturday.

Spice it Up: Fall Playlist

Now that fall and the return of autumn seasonal drinks have finally rolled around, it is time to (pumpkin) spice up our playlists. Whether you use Spotify or Apple Music (and, yes, there is a correct answer), here are some good options to add to your queue. This playlist offers plenty of different genres and languages, ranging from Funk to Bossa Nova and from Korean to Hebrew that you may not have heard before. 

Dining on a budget near campus

By this point in the semester, it’s understandable to begin lacking emotional excitement for servery food. We’ve all had our fair share of grilled chicken, caesar salads and fries, which have become somewhat repetitive for the palate. Luckily, Houston is a culinary extravaganza for lovers of all cuisines. If you’re looking for new, fresh bites, take a look at four affordable restaurants close to campus for your next meal.

Review: FINNEAS’s pervasive hopefulness and emotional songwriting shine in ‘Optimist’

“Optimist” expands upon FINNEAS’s melancholy songwriting and production skills to create a compelling and interesting debut album. FINNEAS is largely known for collaborations with his sister, Billie Eilish, who he produces and co-writes songs with. However, he also previously released an excellent EP, “Blood Harmony,” and an array of singles. FINNEAS’s first full-length album continues the lyricism seen in previous stand-out tracks like “I Lost a Friend” and “I Don’t Miss You at All,” albeit with a slightly different feeling reminiscent of Billie’s more introspective “Happier Than Ever.”