Tuesday, March 31, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Faculty, students dedicate Dia de los Muertos to children who have died in ICE custody

img-2512

By Anna Ta     11/1/19 5:04pm

Over 50 students and faculty dedicated their celebration of el Día de Los Muertos to the remembrance to the children who have died in U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody. The event was held by the today in Rayzor Hall from four to six  p.m.

Students were urged to attend the event after photos circulated of students dressed as ICE officers at the Halloween event at Willy’s Pub. The photos caused outrage and responses from administration and student leadership. 

The event began with an introduction from Luziris Pineda Turi and three members of Hispanic Association for Cultural Enrichment at Rice, who explained the significance of el Día de Los Muertos first in Spanish, then in English.

This presentation was followed by the stories of children who have died in ICE custody in their journeys of immigration to the United States. As with the introduction, the biographies were read by students within Rice’s Spanish program of all levels of proficiency, first in Spanish, then in English. 

Summer Shabana, a freshman at Baker College, read a biography written by the sister of Carlos Hernandez Vasquez, who died at age 16 in an ICE holding facility after crossing the Texas border. 

“Carlos was very happy about traveling to the United States,” she read. “Because he was excited to send back money to help his parents.”

Vasquez died in May of the flu.

Turi began to cry as she closed out the program, asking students to write cards to the rest of the children who remain in ICE custody.

“We didn’t want this to feel hopeless,” she said. “I know it’s hard, but I know that myself and all my colleagues are very proud to be at Rice and to see all these faces here today.”

On-campus commencement postponed, online ceremony to occur

In light of ongoing COVID-19 concerns, an on campus commencement is postponed until further notice, according to an email sent by President David Leebron, Dean of Undergraduates Bridget Gorman and Interim Provost Seiichi Matsuda. There will be an online ceremony on May 16, according to Gorman, where graduates names will be read out loud. 

Rice accepts 10 percent of applicants for the Class of 2024

Rice University accepted 10 percent of applicants to the undergraduate class of 2024, a slight increase in acceptance rate from last year’s record-low 8.7 percent acceptance rate. Due to Rice’s cancellation of all on-campus admission events in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, accepted students will be invited to virtual events in lieu of visiting campus during the traditional Owl Days and Admit Days.