Monday, September 23, 2019 — Houston, TX 79°

SA introduces bill for alumni liaison position

sa-stock-photo

By Rishab Ramapriyan     9/3/19 9:52pm

The Student Association Senate introduced a bill to create a new undergraduate position, Association of Rice Alumni liaison, to advance opportunities for collaboration with the Office of Alumni Relations and the Association of Rice Alumni. The bill was introduced at the Aug. 26 SA Senate meeting.

SA President Grace Wickerson said they created the position because they wanted the SA Senate to assist in improving student-alumni engagement. 

“I chose to create the position to provide a connection between current students and alumni as well as provide channels of communication between the [SA and] the ARA board of directors,” Wickerson, a Brown College senior, said. “We hope the impact is improving student-alumni engagement as well as providing points of collaboration with the ARA board of directors to amplify shared priorities.”

According to the bill, the ARA liaison reports directly to the SA president. Duties of the position include sharing updates on SA programming and initiatives with the ARA and the Office of Alumni Relations. The liaison will also be responsible for disseminating information about alumni programming to the student body and gathering student feedback and ideas regarding alumni initiatives and collaboration. 

According to Wickerson, the SA  Senate previously had a Future Alumni Standing Committee, but it was removed from the bylaws several years ago due to a lack of efficacy and interest.  

The SA Senate will vote on the bill on Sept. 9. Applications for the position are open and will close on Sept. 4. Wickerson said the position will only be filled if the bill passes. 

H&D expands trash collection system change

Housing & Dining has implemented a trash collection system in the South Colleges that requires students to remove their own trash from their rooms, expanding a system that was already in place in North Colleges, according to H&D’s operations directors Beth Leaver and Brad Thacker.

Handshake to replace Rice Job Board

Handshake, a national career database for students, is replacing the online Rice Job Board and changing the hiring process for campus-wide jobs and internships. However, the work-study jobs posted on the old Job Board have yet to be transferred onto Handshake.