Wednesday, December 11, 2019 — Houston, TX 51°

SA introduces bill for alumni liaison position

sa-stock-photo

By Rishab Ramapriyan     9/3/19 9:52pm

The Student Association Senate introduced a bill to create a new undergraduate position, Association of Rice Alumni liaison, to advance opportunities for collaboration with the Office of Alumni Relations and the Association of Rice Alumni. The bill was introduced at the Aug. 26 SA Senate meeting.

SA President Grace Wickerson said they created the position because they wanted the SA Senate to assist in improving student-alumni engagement. 

“I chose to create the position to provide a connection between current students and alumni as well as provide channels of communication between the [SA and] the ARA board of directors,” Wickerson, a Brown College senior, said. “We hope the impact is improving student-alumni engagement as well as providing points of collaboration with the ARA board of directors to amplify shared priorities.”

According to the bill, the ARA liaison reports directly to the SA president. Duties of the position include sharing updates on SA programming and initiatives with the ARA and the Office of Alumni Relations. The liaison will also be responsible for disseminating information about alumni programming to the student body and gathering student feedback and ideas regarding alumni initiatives and collaboration. 

According to Wickerson, the SA  Senate previously had a Future Alumni Standing Committee, but it was removed from the bylaws several years ago due to a lack of efficacy and interest.  

The SA Senate will vote on the bill on Sept. 9. Applications for the position are open and will close on Sept. 4. Wickerson said the position will only be filled if the bill passes. 

Four suspects indicted after RUPD investigation into eight on-campus burglaries

A grand jury indicted four male suspects for their alleged involvement in a rash of on-campus burglaries last year which totaled $20,534 in damages, according to Rice University Police Department Chief of Police James Tate.  The four suspects, now awaiting trial after last Monday’s indictment, could face felony charges and up to $10,000 in fines if found guilty of the charges brought against them by RUPD. A resolution of the case would also account for all reported on-campus burglaries in 2018, according to RUPD Lieutenant of Investigations Derrick McClinton.

Waste contamination hinders recycling at Rice

The percent of waste recycled at Rice has remained stagnant around 25 percent in recent years, but the Administrative Center for Sustainability and Energy Management is aiming to reach 40 percent by 2020, according to the Facilities Engineering and Planning website.