SA introduces bill for alumni liaison position

sa-stock-photo

By Rishab Ramapriyan     9/3/19 9:52pm

The Student Association Senate introduced a bill to create a new undergraduate position, Association of Rice Alumni liaison, to advance opportunities for collaboration with the Office of Alumni Relations and the Association of Rice Alumni. The bill was introduced at the Aug. 26 SA Senate meeting.

SA President Grace Wickerson said they created the position because they wanted the SA Senate to assist in improving student-alumni engagement. 

“I chose to create the position to provide a connection between current students and alumni as well as provide channels of communication between the [SA and] the ARA board of directors,” Wickerson, a Brown College senior, said. “We hope the impact is improving student-alumni engagement as well as providing points of collaboration with the ARA board of directors to amplify shared priorities.”

According to the bill, the ARA liaison reports directly to the SA president. Duties of the position include sharing updates on SA programming and initiatives with the ARA and the Office of Alumni Relations. The liaison will also be responsible for disseminating information about alumni programming to the student body and gathering student feedback and ideas regarding alumni initiatives and collaboration. 

According to Wickerson, the SA  Senate previously had a Future Alumni Standing Committee, but it was removed from the bylaws several years ago due to a lack of efficacy and interest.  

The SA Senate will vote on the bill on Sept. 9. Applications for the position are open and will close on Sept. 4. Wickerson said the position will only be filled if the bill passes. 

7.5% acceptance rate marks lowest in Rice history

Rice admitted 2,439 students from 32,459 applicants March 26, according to Vice President for Enrollment Yvonne Romero da Silva. With a 7.5% admit rate, this is the third consecutive year of record-low acceptance rates. The Thresher previously reported 7.7% and 8.56% acceptance rates for the Class and 2027 and 2026 respectively.