Thursday, February 27, 2020 — Houston, TX 41°

SA introduces bill for alumni liaison position

sa-stock-photo

By Rishab Ramapriyan     9/3/19 9:52pm

The Student Association Senate introduced a bill to create a new undergraduate position, Association of Rice Alumni liaison, to advance opportunities for collaboration with the Office of Alumni Relations and the Association of Rice Alumni. The bill was introduced at the Aug. 26 SA Senate meeting.

SA President Grace Wickerson said they created the position because they wanted the SA Senate to assist in improving student-alumni engagement. 

“I chose to create the position to provide a connection between current students and alumni as well as provide channels of communication between the [SA and] the ARA board of directors,” Wickerson, a Brown College senior, said. “We hope the impact is improving student-alumni engagement as well as providing points of collaboration with the ARA board of directors to amplify shared priorities.”

According to the bill, the ARA liaison reports directly to the SA president. Duties of the position include sharing updates on SA programming and initiatives with the ARA and the Office of Alumni Relations. The liaison will also be responsible for disseminating information about alumni programming to the student body and gathering student feedback and ideas regarding alumni initiatives and collaboration. 

According to Wickerson, the SA  Senate previously had a Future Alumni Standing Committee, but it was removed from the bylaws several years ago due to a lack of efficacy and interest.  

The SA Senate will vote on the bill on Sept. 9. Applications for the position are open and will close on Sept. 4. Wickerson said the position will only be filled if the bill passes. 

College elections plagued by errors and violations

Spring elections at the residential colleges came with a myriad of problems this year, following the implementation of OwlNest voting at some colleges. Tabulation errors of ranked-choice voting by OwlNest have pushed Will Rice College’s secretary race to the its college’s court. Although Jones College continued with Qualtrics, similar problems have led to a re-election for the positions of internal vice president and treasurer.

On-campus primary polling location moved off campus

Student groups are expressing concerns over the lack of an on-campus polling location for the upcoming March 3 primary election. These concerns follow a decision by county party officials to not hold a polling location at Rice due to accessibility concerns for non-Rice voters.