Monday, September 21, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Rice approves new visual and dramatic arts building

breaking-news

By Christina Tan     9/3/19 10:07am

A building dedicated to visual and dramatic arts at Rice has been approved by the university administration, according to an email sent by Dean of Humanities Kathleen Canning. 

“I am thrilled to announce that we have successfully made the case that the student arts at Rice need and deserve a new modern facility,” Canning said. “We are excited that a new building has been approved which will bring together the visual and dramatic arts in the near future.”

The announcement follows news that the Rice Media Center will be removed by the end of 2020, according to Vice President for Administration Kevin Kirby. Kirby said in an update that the Media Center will remain at least until the end of the current academic year. 

In her email, Canning said that details about the location and layout of the new building would be available after the pre-design process for the building is complete. Canning also said that fundraising for the building is critical, which Kirby confirmed. 

“We hope to go into design later this year,” Kirby said. “However, substantial funds need to be raised before construction can begin.  We do not have a detailed timeline yet.”

Canning said that the new building will increase visibility of the humanities both within Rice and the broader Houston community.

“This investment in the arts will help us implement the vision and recommendations made by the VADA external review last fall and will bring us in line with our peer schools,” Canning said. “The building will significantly resituate the arts within the Humanities at Rice.”

Canning, who arrived at Rice in January 2018, worked with VADA Chair John Sparagana and the Humanities Advisory Board to propose the building. In the April 2019 Thresher article about the Media Center’s removal, Sparagana said he hoped the administration would consider constructing a dedicated VADA building on the Media Center’s land that would include film, photography, studio and theater.

“We have great leadership in Dean Canning, terrific momentum in the arts at Rice, recognition of the consistent vitality and productivity of VADA and cognizance of student desire for a student arts building,” Sparagana said in April. “I am optimistic about the possibility of a VADA student arts building as never before.”

Underpaid, overworked: Students speak out about challenges in leadership positions

On a sweltering day in August, groups of students across campus braced themselves for the daunting task ahead of them: spending hours helping new students move into their dorms. Move-in day kicks off Orientation Week every year, and nearly all Rice students are familiar with the ritual of sweaty, beaming advisors running back and forth with labeled cardboard boxes as incoming students start exploring their new home.  

Rice among minority of peer institutions to hold in-person classes

U.S. News & World Report’s Top 20 colleges have adopted varying reopening plans and testing strategies for the fall semester. Rice, which has maintained a low positivity rate on COVID tests, joins only five other Top 20 institutions — the University of Chicago, the University of Notre Dame, Duke University, Vanderbilt University and Cornell University — in offering a hybrid or in-person classroom experience for the fall.

Sleepy Cyborg Galley kicks off semester with virtual exhibit, “Quaranzine”

In a world becoming increasingly dependent on dual-delivery, one has to ask how visual art, a mode of communication previously relegated mostly to the physical, is adapting to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.  An example of this dual-delivery form of visual art can be found at the newly renamed, student-run Sleepy Cyborg Gallery in their first exhibition of the year called “quaranzine.”