Tuesday, February 07, 2023 — Houston, TX

Don’t pass on student opinion

Following faculty concerns that students are misusing the pass/fail option, the faculty senate formed a working group last semester to reevaluate the existing policy. The working group’s charge is to determine if the policy sufficiently fulfills the option’s purpose and to “examine how these policies affect the learning environment.” Currently, the working group has one undergraduate representative out of nine members and the group has so far only surveyed instructors. While we recognize the ways in which pass/fail affects the instructor’s classroom environment, we urge the working group to consider the ways in which that is true for students as well.

In the survey, faculty respondents were asked whether or not students should be allowed to apply pass/fail to major requirements, whether or not they believe instructors should know which students are taking their course with pass/fail and, to echo the working group’s charge, how pass/fail affects their learning environment.

These are important questions, in part because they may reveal errors in the current policy implementation, but also because they themselves reveal the initial directions of this working group.

We recognize that this working group is still in progress and we respect that the process may not always be fully transparent to the undergraduate population. However, we must as always urge that any decisions concerning undergraduates involve the voice of the students. 

While policy modifications could be helpful to instructors, so could a survey of undergraduates to help them better understand how students view and utilize pass/fail. Some questions that could be asked are: For what purpose have you used the pass/fail option, if any? How does having pass/fail as an option affect your willingness to take classes outside of your comfort zone? And finally, how does pass/fail affect your learning environment?

More valuable than our proposed questions would be thorough and honest feedback from the student body, as we recognize that we are a very small portion of the undergraduate population and our opinion is far from comprehensive. In the coming months, we hope that the working group acknowledges that student opinion can be just as illuminating as instructor input in this process. 

Do the bare minimum and return your plates

Housing and Dining recently spoke out about an unacceptable number of missing ceramic plates from serveries across campus, prompting several college presidents and coordinators to remind students not to throw these plates away or leave them in shared spaces. The issue has gotten so bad that H&D has stated that they will begin charging colleges each time they find one in the trash. 

Bring Sunday brunch back to campus

At the very first Editorial Board meeting of this school year, the seniors on our board got on our high horses to inform the Rice community of the way things used to be done vis-a-vis selling tickets to public parties. We’ve held our tongues since then, as we can appreciate that circumstances change and growth is good. But the time has come for us to speak again, this time in support of resurrecting the greatest of all pre-COVID traditions: Sunday brunch.

The RMC needs to reread their mission statement

We reported at the end of last week that popular late-night food spots YoYo’s Hot Dog and Oh My Gogi are being forced out of Rice Village by the end of the month. Justifiably, Rice students and the local community were outraged — a petition to the Rice Management Company titled “Save Yoyos and Oh My Gogi” has over 4,500 signatures as of publication.