Tuesday, August 20, 2019 — Houston, TX 79°

Rondelet on a budget

cottage-shop-courtesy-stephen-curley
Courtesy Stephen Curley

By Katelyn Landry     4/2/19 10:24pm

Rondelet is this weekend and since you’re already coughing up 20 bucks for each ticket, here are some ways to spare your wallet from further damage in the name of your totally cute outfit. I am perpetually broke so trust in this list, because I only included shops that I would personally visit in order to not break the bank:

Thrift shops

The Cottage Shop is a resale boutique in Montrose owned and operated by The Women’s Home, so 100 percent of proceeds contribute to supporting women and their families. They have 25% off all boutique, regular and vintage clothing Thursday - Saturday, so stop by before this Friday night to take advantage of this discount. 

Buffalo Exchange is a campus favorite for a reason. Stop into the Montrose shop for some unique apparel, shoes, and jewelry that are sure to make you stand out. In my experience, their dresses usually go for $10 - $30.

Don’t be afraid of going to Goodwill for dress shopping. There are usually some hidden treasures among the ’80s prom dresses and corduroy jumpsuits that are just begging to be found. The price range at Goodwill is likely the cheapest among all of the thrift stores listed here. 

Flamingos Vintage Pound sells genuine vintage clothing - you guessed it - by the pound. Stop by on your way to Trader Joe’s on South Shepherd Dr. and find some one-of-a-kind pieces for your Rondelet ensemble. Their price range is usually about $10 - $20 for non-specialty items. 

Pavement Houston Clothing is another Montrose resale hotspot. This shop has contracts with popular retailers like Zara and Free People, so the clothes are slightly more expensive than your traditional thrift store (usually between $10 - $50) but they are also relatively “newer.” 

Fast fashion

Forever 21 may be infamous for its cheesy slogans that are slapped onto polyester jackets, but it also has a huge collection of relatively inexpensive maxi dresses that you can definitely pass off as a prom dress. You can get to Forever 21 at the Galleria Mall or with a short ride on the Metro Rail to Main Street Square.

Cotton On is one of the least expensive retail chains in the Galleria Mall and is perfect if you’re looking for a more casual, effortless Rondelet look. 

H&M hardly ever fails with its wide selection of formal and casual pieces for prices under $50 for the most part. Definitely check out the clearance rack before anything else. 

Best and Worst of: Lollapalooza 2019

While attending the four-day festival was enough to give us some pretty persistent post-concert depression (not to mention legs of steel and black festival snot for days), there were some parts that we won’t really miss — like the canned water and soul-sucking L trip back to our Airbnb. While not all aspects of Lollapalooza may have been worth storming the fence for, there were certainly many that left a lasting impression, and reasons that Lollapalooza stood out as a festival to remember.

Lollapalooza Survival Guide

Summer is here, which means festival season. Chicago is prepping for Lollapalooza, its annual four-day festival in scenic Grant Park. This year’s lineup is packed with musical sensations like Childish Gambino, Twenty One Pilots, Ariana Grande and more. In addition to their high-profile headliners, the festival will also be welcoming a diverse range of rising artists. 

Now playing: Lollapalooza 2019 artists to listen to

Though it’s not as flamboyant as Coachella or as conveniently located as Austin City Limits, Lollapalooza, which will take place over four days starting this Thursday, is an iconic summer affair that kicks off festival season with a bang.