Sunday, January 23, 2022 — Houston, TX °

Rondelet on a budget

cottage-shop-courtesy-stephen-curley
Courtesy Stephen Curley

By Katelyn Landry     4/2/19 10:24pm

Rondelet is this weekend and since you’re already coughing up 20 bucks for each ticket, here are some ways to spare your wallet from further damage in the name of your totally cute outfit. I am perpetually broke so trust in this list, because I only included shops that I would personally visit in order to not break the bank:

Thrift shops

The Cottage Shop is a resale boutique in Montrose owned and operated by The Women’s Home, so 100 percent of proceeds contribute to supporting women and their families. They have 25% off all boutique, regular and vintage clothing Thursday - Saturday, so stop by before this Friday night to take advantage of this discount. 

Buffalo Exchange is a campus favorite for a reason. Stop into the Montrose shop for some unique apparel, shoes, and jewelry that are sure to make you stand out. In my experience, their dresses usually go for $10 - $30.

Don’t be afraid of going to Goodwill for dress shopping. There are usually some hidden treasures among the ’80s prom dresses and corduroy jumpsuits that are just begging to be found. The price range at Goodwill is likely the cheapest among all of the thrift stores listed here. 

Flamingos Vintage Pound sells genuine vintage clothing - you guessed it - by the pound. Stop by on your way to Trader Joe’s on South Shepherd Dr. and find some one-of-a-kind pieces for your Rondelet ensemble. Their price range is usually about $10 - $20 for non-specialty items. 

Pavement Houston Clothing is another Montrose resale hotspot. This shop has contracts with popular retailers like Zara and Free People, so the clothes are slightly more expensive than your traditional thrift store (usually between $10 - $50) but they are also relatively “newer.” 

Fast fashion

Forever 21 may be infamous for its cheesy slogans that are slapped onto polyester jackets, but it also has a huge collection of relatively inexpensive maxi dresses that you can definitely pass off as a prom dress. You can get to Forever 21 at the Galleria Mall or with a short ride on the Metro Rail to Main Street Square.

Cotton On is one of the least expensive retail chains in the Galleria Mall and is perfect if you’re looking for a more casual, effortless Rondelet look. 

H&M hardly ever fails with its wide selection of formal and casual pieces for prices under $50 for the most part. Definitely check out the clearance rack before anything else. 

Review: FKA Twigs showcases dazzling candy-pop on ‘Caprisongs’

“Hey, I made you a mixtape / Because when I feel you, I feel me / And when I feel me, it feels good,” breathes FKA Twigs in “ride the dragon,” the first track on her latest album, “CAPRISONGS.” Released on Jan. 14, “CAPRISONGS” is a love letter to friendship, music, adventure, collaboration and, most of all, to Twigs herself. A drastic departure from the divine, heartrending emotion of “MAGDALENE,” its follow-up is a blitzy, feature-filled mirage of candied pop. Described by Twigs as “bronzer in the sink, alco pop on the side, a cherry lolly… a club pre-game, meeting a friend at the airport, just togetherness,” the album is studded with plastic rhinestones. Though “CAPRISONGS” sporadically falls prey to underdeveloped interludes and forgettable songs, its otherworldly synth frenzy renders it a respectable recovery mixtape. 

Review: Hanya Yanagihara’s 'To Paradise' — It took me there

The first man will never have to work in his life, in fact he is so wealthy he can leave everything to chase love. The second man is a broke paralegal who fled from his homeland and is now dating his wealthy boss. The third is a successful virologist, whose very success has trapped him instead of freeing him.

Review: Earl Sweatshirt embraces lush production and a newfound openness on ‘SICK!’

Earl Sweatshirt’s “SICK!” sees him use his shortcomings as fuel for a personal rebirth and desire for self-improvement. A lot has changed for Earl since his 2019 EP, “FEET OF CLAY.” At that time, he had been struggling with alcohol addiction and “an endless loop of self-harm and isolation.” Now, he has been working towards recovery by reducing alcohol and drug use while trying to be a good father to his young son.