Thursday, April 15, 2021 — Houston, TX 68°

Rondelet on a budget

cottage-shop-courtesy-stephen-curley
Courtesy Stephen Curley

By Katelyn Landry     4/2/19 10:24pm

Rondelet is this weekend and since you’re already coughing up 20 bucks for each ticket, here are some ways to spare your wallet from further damage in the name of your totally cute outfit. I am perpetually broke so trust in this list, because I only included shops that I would personally visit in order to not break the bank:

Thrift shops

The Cottage Shop is a resale boutique in Montrose owned and operated by The Women’s Home, so 100 percent of proceeds contribute to supporting women and their families. They have 25% off all boutique, regular and vintage clothing Thursday - Saturday, so stop by before this Friday night to take advantage of this discount. 

Buffalo Exchange is a campus favorite for a reason. Stop into the Montrose shop for some unique apparel, shoes, and jewelry that are sure to make you stand out. In my experience, their dresses usually go for $10 - $30.

Don’t be afraid of going to Goodwill for dress shopping. There are usually some hidden treasures among the ’80s prom dresses and corduroy jumpsuits that are just begging to be found. The price range at Goodwill is likely the cheapest among all of the thrift stores listed here. 

Flamingos Vintage Pound sells genuine vintage clothing - you guessed it - by the pound. Stop by on your way to Trader Joe’s on South Shepherd Dr. and find some one-of-a-kind pieces for your Rondelet ensemble. Their price range is usually about $10 - $20 for non-specialty items. 

Pavement Houston Clothing is another Montrose resale hotspot. This shop has contracts with popular retailers like Zara and Free People, so the clothes are slightly more expensive than your traditional thrift store (usually between $10 - $50) but they are also relatively “newer.” 

Fast fashion

Forever 21 may be infamous for its cheesy slogans that are slapped onto polyester jackets, but it also has a huge collection of relatively inexpensive maxi dresses that you can definitely pass off as a prom dress. You can get to Forever 21 at the Galleria Mall or with a short ride on the Metro Rail to Main Street Square.

Cotton On is one of the least expensive retail chains in the Galleria Mall and is perfect if you’re looking for a more casual, effortless Rondelet look. 

H&M hardly ever fails with its wide selection of formal and casual pieces for prices under $50 for the most part. Definitely check out the clearance rack before anything else. 

Review: Taylor Swift reclaims her artistry with re-recorded album “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)”

Fans got their first taste of Taylor Swift’s re-recorded album, “Fearless (Taylor’s Version),” when a snippet of “Love Story” was used in Ryan Reynolds’ Tinder commercial last December. The full album was released on April 9 and includes remastered versions of every song from the platinum edition of Swift’s 2008 album, “Fearless,” along with six unreleased songs “from the vault” that were cut from the original project. The re-release is largely unchanged from the original in terms of her familiar vocals on fan-favorite singles like “You Belong With Me.” Still, the album epitomizes the singer-songwriter’s artistic growth over the past decade and serves as the first step to Swift regaining ownership of her music, making “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)” a worthwhile listen for returning fans and new listeners alike.  

KTRU Outdoor Show brings music, art to campus scene and virtual screens

As the close of the semester approaches, KTRU wants to help end the academic year on a high note. KTRU’s annual Outdoor Show will round out the end of the semester — albeit in a different format than what we have seen in years past. On April 24 from 12 p.m. to 10 p.m., the Rice community will have the chance to gather in the central quad — distanced and masked — for what Katelyn Landry, this year’s organizer for ODS, called a “mini music and art festival.” This year’s show will consist of screenings and livestreams of artists’ pre-recorded sets, an art installation, Houston food trucks on sight and an opportunity for the Rice community to connect with each other through music and art whether in-person or virtually.