Tuesday, August 04, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Former SA presidential candidate Cavallaro to serve as parliamentarian

candidate-3-col-christina-tan
Christina Tan/Thresher

By Rishab Ramapriyan     4/16/19 11:55pm

Freddy Cavallaro will serve as Student Association parliamentarian for the next year, according to SA President Grace Wickerson.

Cavallaro, a Will Rice College junior, had run in this year’s SA president election on a platform to reform the SA by passing bylaws and constitutional amendments. 

Wickerson, a Brown College junior, said they chose Cavallaro for the position based on his interest in reforming the SA bylaws and constitution.

“The main reason why he was selected was his experience with the constitution and bylaws, as he has read the whole document and knows really where he wants to improve things,” Wickerson said. “SA Senate efficacy and transparency is something our Executive Team really wants to work on this year we found that to be necessary.”

Cavallaro declined to comment regarding his appointment as SA parliamentarian.  

Nick Jerge, who served as SA parliamentarian the past year, said that the parliamentarian is nominated by the president and confirmed by the SA Senate. Wickerson said they nominated Cavallaro to the position after reviewing a pool of applicants who applied through the SA Common Application. 

“I think he’ll bring a critical lens to the SA as someone who’s never previously worked in the organization before and I’m excited to see what he brings to the role,” Wickerson said. 

The recently-passed constitutional amendment to allow any student to sponsor SA Senate legislation was originally proposed in Cavallaro’s presidential platform. 

“The constitution and bylaws give the [SA] Senate unreasonable amounts of control about what can be done, and who has the right to do it,” Cavallaro had said in his presidential platform. “I aim to divert as much power as possible from the Senate and give it back to the people.”

Midtown Fiesta by Innovation District closes, drawing attention to food inaccessibility in the area

The Fiesta Mart in Midtown at 4200 San Jacinto St., which was leased from Rice University and is across the street from the currently under construction Ion building, closed on July 10. The store serviced both Midtown and Third Ward residents and the closure has drawn attention to the issue of food access in the Third Ward, which is classified as a food desert.

Historians share perspectives on monuments and racism, following recent discussions about William Marsh Rice

"The model [for discussions] has long been [that] it's a small group, usually of men, but a small group has met behind closed doors and made these decisions. And I think what all of us in all of our different work have said over and over and over again is that this has to be a public conversation. All stakeholders need to be involved in these decision-making processes,“ Anne Twitty, panelist at Monday’s webinar, said.