Thursday, July 07, 2022 — Houston, TX

Amendment to broaden legislation sponsorship passes in special election

nib-graphic-for-esperanza

By Rishab Ramapriyan     4/16/19 11:59pm

Students voted to pass a constitutional amendment in a referendum that will now allow any student to sponsor Student Association legislation.

A total of 1,098 students voted in a special election held April 8-12; 1,039 (95 percent) voted in favor of passing the amendment. The SA constitution requires one-fifth of undergraduate students to vote and two-thirds of students to vote in favor for a constitutional amendment to pass. 

Senate had voted at its meeting on March 18 to pass the constitutional amendment, which amends the SA Constitution sponsorship clause to allow any student to sponsor and introduce legislation as long as they have substantially contributed to its text. The amendment was introduced by Nick Jerge, the former SA parliamentarian, and Grace Wickerson, the SA president .  

“As a parliamentarian, I do believe that it’s completely rational to remove the requirement that legislation has to be sponsored by at least one voting member of [SA] Senate,” Jerge, a Sid Richardson College sophomore, said at the March 4 SA Senate meeting. “People who do have ideas in mind should be able to put them forward. This lowers the barrier for students to get involved in [SA] Senate.”

At the March 18 meeting, the SA Senate also voted to deem the amendment time-sensitive so that a special election could be held this semester. 

Jerge said that the constitutional amendment took effect immediately after its passage. Jerge said that students can review the resources on the SA website or contact SA Parliamentarian Freddy Cavallaro to submit legislation. 

Michigan professor Amy Dittmar named Rice’s next provost

Amy Dittmar, the senior vice provost for academic and budgetary affairs and a professor of economics and finance at the University of Michigan, has been selected as Rice’s new provost, incoming president Reginald DesRoches announced Thursday. DesRoches, the current provost, will become Rice’s president on July 1, and Dittmar will start August 1.

SA drafts formal complaint against Chi Alpha after discrimination accusations

The Student Association executive board drafted a formal complaint against the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship to present to University Court for violation of the SA Constitution nondiscrimination policy that every Rice organization is required to adhere to. This complaint comes in light of the recently published Thresher article, where several students shared their experience with discrimation within the club on the basis of sexual orientation.