Tuesday, August 20, 2019 — Houston, TX 79°

Soccer names Brian Lee new head coach

breaking-news

By Madison Buzzard     3/29/19 9:59pm

Rice Women’s soccer has hired former Louisiana State University head soccer coach Brian Lee for the same position, according to a release from Rice Athletics. Last season, Lee led the Tigers to the Southeastern Conference Tournament title and the second round of the NCAA Tournament. 

For his efforts, Lee was named a finalist for 2018 National Coach of the Year by United Soccer Coaches.

Lee replaces Nicky Adams, who coached the Owls’ soccer program from 2011 to 2018. Adams led Rice to two NCAA Tournament appearances in 2014 and 2017 and finished her Rice tenure with an 80-46-22 overall record. Last month, Adams resigned from her role to become the head coach at Syracuse University.

Lee will be tasked to lift Rice back to the top of the Conference USA after the Owls finished last season with their first losing record since 2010.

According to Rice athletic director Joe Karlgaard, Lee prioritizes academic and athletic excellence, making him an ideal long-term fit.

“I knew when I met [Lee] that he’d be a great fit for Rice University,” Karlgaard said. “He’s a highly experienced leader who has coached championship programs at a private school and in the SEC. He embraces our model of academic and competitive excellence, and he cares deeply for the student-athlete. I’m excited for him to lead Rice soccer into the future.”

Lee will welcome a class of six recruits signed by Adams, including forwards Izzy McBride (Littleton, Colorado) and Sydney Miller (Houston), midfielders Shiloh Miller (Lakewood, Colorado) and Kendall Robertson (McLean, Virginia), defender Julia Kostecki (British Columbia, Canada) and goalkeeper Taylor Rowe (Scottsdale, Arizona).

Lee said he is hopeful he can elevate Rice to the pinnacle of collegiate soccer.

“The opportunity to recruit and coach the very best student-athletes at one of the nation’s elite academic institutions is a privilege and a honor,” Lee said. “Rice has everything you need to compete for championships and national prominence and I am looking forward to building on the strong foundation Nicky Adams has established over the last decade.”

Best and Worst of: Lollapalooza 2019

While attending the four-day festival was enough to give us some pretty persistent post-concert depression (not to mention legs of steel and black festival snot for days), there were some parts that we won’t really miss — like the canned water and soul-sucking L trip back to our Airbnb. While not all aspects of Lollapalooza may have been worth storming the fence for, there were certainly many that left a lasting impression, and reasons that Lollapalooza stood out as a festival to remember.

A new coffee shop on the first floor of McNair Hall is projected to open for business this September, according to Peter Rodriguez, dean of the Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business. According to Rodriguez, several external vendors are currently competing for a contract. Whichever vendor is selected will choose the baristas who will staff the coffee shop and the types of coffee and food offered, Rodriguez said.