Tuesday, September 28, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Rice Crisis Management should have issued notifications during Deer Park fire

0327cartoon
Illustrated by Dalia Gulca

A cloud often hangs over the student body as it returns from spring break. Usually, that’s a product of mixing Frio 6.0, Red Bull and sunshine. This year, though, that cloud was the result of a massive fire at a chemical storage facility on the bank of the Houston Ship Channel.

The plume was visible from suburbs of San Antonio. It dominated the Houston skyline and caught the attention of national media outlets. 

Despite the fire’s magnitude, Rice’s Crisis Management Team provided the Rice community with no information about this high-profile disaster. Students and faculty rely upon the university for information — both when situations aren’t safe and when they are. No official statement or text alert regarding outside air quality left community members unsure of whether or not they should be taking precautions.

Rice’s Crisis Management Team should have have reached out immediately through text and email alerts, assuring the community they were tracking the situation. They should have then used this alert system to send updates on the latest from local authorities if the situation changed. 

A March 21 article in the Texas Medical Center News encouraged people in the medical center area with respiratory issues to wear masks in response to the fire and that they should contact health professionals if they experienced symptoms like coughing, difficulty breathing or skin irritation in the days after the fire. This is pertinent information to some members of the Rice community, and it was never communicated by the Crisis Management Team. Harris County officials warned residents not to touch ash that may have fallen from the plume — a warranted concern given the toxic materials that went up in smoke — but this information never reached most Rice students.

The Rice community doesn’t just include those in Houston. It includes family members who, upon seeing the news, also sought out answers about safety on campus. Given the national nature and the spread of misinformation in the wake of the fire, Rice should have kept family members updated on social media, just as they did during Hurricane Harvey, even if the only message was that everyone was safe. 

Though the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality’s air monitors have shown no reason for Rice students to be concerned, this information was never disseminated by Rice. After the fire, authorities ordered Deer Park residents to shelter in place because of a benzene release. Crisis management should have informed the community that the cloud was not expected to reach Rice’s campus. 

Ultimately, communication is needed not only to alert in times of emergency but also to comfort in times of uncertainty. The Crisis Management Team should have been there to reassure community members and their families that the air was breathable. 

Unsigned editorials represent the consensus view of the Thresher Editorial Board. If you’d like to respond to this or anything else you’ve seen in the Thresher, email thresher-ops@rice.edu.

Turn your attention to volleyball

After this past weekend, and football’s embarrassing defeat at the hands of the Longhorns, it’s possible that much of the Rice community is un-rhetorically echoing JFK and asking themselves: Why does Rice play Texas? The answer, of course, is volleyball. 

It is on each of us to be anti-racist and hold others accountable, not just student leaders

The use of racial slurs by college students toward their peers is a problem that permeates across college campuses all over the country. The Rice community is no exception. When students say or do racist things, specifically toward other students, there is usually outrage, and rightfully so. However, in most of these instances, the immediate response is to look to student leaders for a reaction. If we, as a community, are serious about being anti-racist, then it is on all of us to hold our peers accountable.

Unused meal swipes should automatically be donated

The Guest Meal Swipe Donation Form closes on September 10, yet many students may not know about the program. Along with low visibility of the program, changes in COVID-19 restrictions such as removing restrictions on who can visit residential colleges may lead students to donate fewer guest swipes in anticipation of using them for guests. The program already could not cover all of the students who wanted to utilize it in the last two semesters. With the possibility of receiving fewer donations this semester, it is imperative that the administration step in and pursue additional routes for addressing food insecurity for off-campus students.