Sunday, April 11, 2021 — Houston, TX 63°

Archi-Arts transforms Anderson Hall with student art, performances

archi-art-stephany-marchany
Courtesy Stephany Marchany

By Christina Tan     3/26/19 10:10pm

On Saturday, Anderson Hall transformed into a makeshift gallery and exhibition space with dangling foam photos, a large-scale installation and dozens of works of student art. 

Rice Architecture Society orchestrated this transformation to host its annual Archi-Arts, an event focused on spotlighting interdisciplinary art across campus. This year, the event showcased an unprecedented amount and diversity of work, according to curator Shree Kale.

“In the past, it has been difficult to get a large amount of work displayed at the event,” Kale, one of the three curators for the event, said. “Not many people knew about it and not a lot of students outside of the School of Architecture would submit work.” 

Kale, a Duncan College junior, said that he and his co-curators promoted the event through a Mini Charrette competition and direct invitations to different departments. Kale said he focused on engaging artists to display work and contacted Visual and Dramatic Arts Assistant Professor Lisa Lapinski for student work. 18 sculpture works were shown at Archi-Arts.

“One of the more difficult, yet exciting, things this year was the number of sculptures we were including,” Kale said. “The challenge was finding a place for them. We decided to expand the event to include [the upstairs hall], the ‘Bridge.’ We decided to place a majority of the sculptures on the Bridge and turn it into a type of sculpture garden.”

While Kale searched for displaying artists, co-curator Phoebe Cox contacted Rice Dance Theatre, who performed in the winning installation from the Mini Charrette competition, accompanied by music performed by Shepherd School of Music students. The installation, “Tape Tape Tape Tape Tape,” was proposed and installed by a team of both architecture and non-architecture students — Martel College junior Alec Tobin, Lovett College junior Kaarthika Thakker, Sid Richardson College junior Stacy Su and Jones College junior Beril Uzmen. This group beat out six other teams with their striking piece, which covered the “Jury” room of Anderson with long, parallel strips of red tape. Repurposed display stands matched that parallelism by featuring similar strips of tape. Performers from Rice Dance Theatre moved these stands from their parallelism during their dance, creating a sense of disorientation and movement.

In total, the two-hour event included five Rice Dance Theatre performances, hosted a Rice Philharmonics performance and featured 91 photography, sculpture and 2D works.

Disclaimer: Christina Tan exhibited at Archi-Arts.

5th annual Houston Latino Film Festival displays Latinx diversity, tackles timely issues

The 5th annual Houston Latino Film Festival, which ran from March 19-28, featured films from all over Latin America and the United States, highlighting and promoting Latinx culture to the Houston community. The festival, which was canceled last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, showcased its selection of both feature and short films over virtual streaming platforms and in-person drive-in theater venues.  

Texas on his mind: Remembering the literary legacy of Larry McMurtry

Prolific novelist, screenwriter and Rice University alumnus Larry McMurtry died at his home in Archer City, Texas on March 25, 2021. McMurtry’s novels are known for their striking realism and ability to present the complexities of life in Texas. As an author, McMurtry gained international acclaim and a particularly devoted Texan following. Many of the novels he penned could be considered Texan and Western classics, all written on a typewriter — a method he held onto despite the rising popularity of computers during the digital age. In memory of McMurtry — who proclaimed himself a “minor regional novelist” despite his widespread and enduring acclaim — here are a few of his most influential works that capture his lasting impact on the literary world.