Thursday, December 08, 2022 — Houston, TX

Wickerson wins presidential election with 42 percent voter turnout

screen-shot-2019-02-26-at-10-22-57-pm
Infographic by Sumin Hwang

By Emily Abdow     2/26/19 10:12pm

Grace Wickerson will serve as the next Student Association president after beating out competitors Frederick Cavallaro and Bill Duong in an election with the lowest number of votes cast for president since 2016. 

Voter turnout for the presidential election was about 42 percent, with 1653 votes cast. Last year's presidential election, which broke the SA record for the largest number of votes cast, had a turnout of over 50 percent of the student body with 2,047 students casting a ballot. 

Wickerson, the SA Internal Vice President, captured 55 percent of the vote, 909 out of 1563, in the first round of ranked choice voting. Since they won more than 50 percent of the vote, there was no second round of voting necessary. Cavallaro earned 36 percent of the vote with 594 votes and Duong earned 6.5 percent of the vote at 108 votes. 42 votes were cast for “Other.” 

The SA utilizes ranked-choice voting, which asks voters to rank candidates and a write-in in order of preference. Afterwards, the candidates with the lowest number of first-choice preferences is eliminated and those votes are allocated to each voter’s highest preferred remaining candidate. This process is repeated until a candidate receives a majority of the votes. In this year’s election, a majority occurred in the first round of voting. 

In the secretary race, the only other contested position on the SA Executive Committee, Isabel Wiatt defeated Aaron Pathak. Wiatt earned about 53 percent of the vote with 734 votes. Pathak, her opponent, earned 45 percent of the vote, or 631 votes.

The only other contested race was Honor Council Senior Representative where five candidates vied for four spots. Maheen Khizar, Stefano Romano, Grace Coleman and Natalie Zur won spots while James Suffoletta missed out on a seat. Coleman received the most votes of the candidates with 626. 

Simi Rahman won the uncontested IVP position with 95 percent of the vote and Will Mundy won the uncontested EVP position with 93 percent of the vote. Christina Lee will round out the Executive Committee, winning the uncontested race for treasurer with 95 percent of the vote.

The uncontested candidates for Thresher Editor-in-Chief, Rally Club President, RPC President, RSVP Chair, Campanile EIC, KTRU Station Manager, UCourt Chair as well as Honor Council Sophomore and Junior Representatives won their respective races. 

SPECIAL PROJECTS 11/30/22 12:00am
Special Project: Abortion through the ages

The Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade in June, ending 50 years of constitutional protections for abortion in the United States. Abortion in Texas is now illegal in almost all cases. Students at Rice sought abortions before Roe, during its reign and will continue in the wake of Roe’s fall. The Thresher talked to alumni from the 1950s through the 2010s to build a timeline of relationships, sex and abortion at Rice.

‘Flipping over the rock’: Remembering the fight against sexual violence

Three years ago, the Rice campus was enveloped by protests and discussions over the state of the university’s sexual assault policies. Partially lost to the mists of time and overshadowed by the pandemic a few months later, these protests are largely unknown to today’s student body after the numerous social disruptions these last few years have seen.

Writer Anna Meriano talks youth literature, community

Since facing her first bout of writer’s block when scribbling down a story in kindergarten, Anna Meriano said she knew she wanted to be a writer. A Martel College (‘13) alumna, Meriano has watched those childhood dreams come to life as a middle-grade and young adult author published by HarperCollins and Penguin Random House. After writing fantasy stories about a family of brujas running a fictional Texas bakery and tales of girls finding belonging on their local quadball team, Meriano understands the power of children’s literature in shaping youth perspectives and works to share diverse stories of family, adolescence and friendship.