Sunday, October 24, 2021 — Houston, TX °

SA presidential candidate Grace Wickerson focuses on expanding educational opportunities, student wellbeing

candidate-5-col-christina-tan
Courtesy Christina Tan

By Cameron Wallace     2/20/19 12:45am

According to Grace Wickerson, candidate for Student Association president, there is a lot of potential in the SA Senate for initiating productive dialogues and ultimately affecting large-scale changes on Rice’s campus.

“I just love working with students,” Wickerson said. “[Being internal vice president] gave me that broad view of the SA; from the SA Senate to the committees, there’s 80 people that I’ve overseen this year and I’ve had the pleasure to get to work with them.”

Wickerson said improving educational excellence and opportunity will involve advocating the creation of new, non-mandatory seminar classes focused on social issues such as gentrification or social entrepreneurship and pushing for greater support for non-tenure track faculty. 

Wickerson said that they will also pursue strategies to make it easier for students to leave Rice for professional or academic experiences and to connect with local research opportunities. 

Wickerson’s campaign Facebook page says that in the pursuit of student wellbeing, they will attempt to make off-campus health resources more accessible, lower the cost of STI testing and attempt to secure weekend hours for on-campus mental and physical health services. 

In the interest of increasing sustainability at Rice, Wickerson said they want to focus on specific areas of campus like athletics facilities, where sustainability has not historically been a priority, support campus composting efforts and set up a sustainability round for the Initiative Fund while continuing to work to establish the Green Fund. 

In an interview with the Rice Thresher, Wickerson said that access and inclusion will involve exploring ways to make the Rice experience more financially accessible, including making college funds easier to use and potentially expanding the Rice Investment to assist students with additional costs like summer program fees and graduate school application fees. 

“We need to figure out what are all the things we need to fund because there are so many different ones and there are so many areas that aren’t just social,” Wickerson said. “They’re related to classes, internships and other co-curricular activities.”

Wickerson said that they would pursue three of the changes to the SA Senate proposed by opponent Freddy Cavallaro: allowing any member of the student body to sponsor legislation, attempting to clarify certain SA positions and beginning to combine similar standing committees and temporary committees. 

In addition to serving as the current IVP, Wickerson has previously served as a senator and a new student representative. During their time as senator, they introduced legislation aimed at increasing the number of minors offered at Rice, creating a task force to investigate sexual health and increase the accessibility of sexual health resources at Rice and created a chief of staff position within the SA Senate.

Rice set to join American Athletic Conference

For just the third time in school history, Rice will be moving athletic conferences. Along with five other Conference USA schools, Rice accepted an invitation to join the American Athletic Conference, the AAC announced Thursday morning. Rice will remain in C-USA for now, as the move won’t take effect until a later time which is yet to be determined, although multiple Rice coaches indicated that 2023 could be a possible target date. According to Athletic Director Joe Karlgaard, in the AAC, Rice has found a conference that meets all of its criteria.

Wellbeing & Counseling Centers see 37% increase in demand from last year

The Wellbeing & Counseling Center have both seen an increase in use since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to Elizabeth Plummer, the clinical director of the Counseling Center. According to Plummer, walk-in appointments are available for emergency situations, and slots for these crisis appointments have been accounted for in the Counseling Center’s schedule to make walk-ins accessible. Since last year, the Counseling Center has seen nearly four times as many crisis appointments as they usually do, according to Timothy Baumgartner, director of the Counseling Center.

Nicole Lennon breaks kills record against LA Tech

Senior outside hitter Nicole Lennon made Rice history on Saturday, breaking the program’s all-time kills record as the Owls beat Louisiana Tech University in both matches of their two game series. With her 1970th kill, Lennon broke the record set almost two decades ago by Rice legend and former member of the Spain women’s national volleyball team Rebeca Paz. After the game, Lennon said that breaking the record let her see just how much of an impact she’s made on the program.