Wednesday, September 23, 2020 — Houston, TX °

‘Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse’ offers a fresh take on a well-loved story

spiderman-courtesy-sony-pictures
Courtesy Sony Pictures

By Grace Nichols     1/8/19 9:58pm

Rating: 5/5

“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” may be the new gold standard for both animated films and superhero movies. Since its Dec. 15 release date, “Spider-Man” has earned a 97 percent on Rotten Tomatoes and recently won the Golden Globe for Best Animated Feature Film. While most other superhero movies follow the same basic plot and seem to just set up for the sequel, “Spider-Man” is a thrilling new take on a classic hero with plenty of substance to stand on its own. 

The film wastes no time rehashing Spider-man’s origin story and jumps straight into the story’s new universe (or Spider-Verse). The animation is stunning, mixing modern 3D techniques (every hair on each character’s head is visible) with retro comic book influences. Actions sequences are frequently split into panels, giving the effect of a comic book come to life. Vibrant colors and dynamic backdrops make Spider-man’s world more fantastic and inviting than ever before.The soundtrack is well thought out, and each song isn’t simply played in the background but rather is woven into the scenes.

Voice-acting novice Shameik Moore gives a convincing and sympathetic performance as teenage protagonist Miles Morales, a new character to the Marvel cinematic universe (but a comic book favorite). Jake Johnson (from Fox’s “New Girl”) plays a divorced, anti-hero Peter Parker, an interesting departure from previous clean-cut, nerdy Spider-Man portrayals by Tobey Maguire and Tom Holland. Even beloved Spider-Man villain Doctor Octopus (Doc Ock) has a makeover in the new Spider-Verse.

While “Spider-Man” has many genuinely heart-wrenching moments packed into two hours, it also contains plenty of laughs and well-timed jokes typical of Marvel movies. Comedian John Mulaney’s “Spider-Ham” (an alternate pig version of Spider-Man) had the audience in hysterics during his brief appearances. There is also plenty of self-referential and witty humor that punches up the film but doesn’t distract from the serious moments.

Despite being a PG-rated movie, “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” is not just for kids and has plenty of appeal for young adults as well. The film is probably more interesting for college students than other recent animated films such as “The Incredibles 2” and “The Grinch,” with a punchy hit by Post Malone (“Sunflower”) coupled with an uplifting message about finding your own path.

“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” is playing in theaters. Given the mind-blowing animation, it might even be worth it to see it in 3D. Viewers should make sure to stick around for the artistic and trippy credit sequence and the signature post-credits teaser scene. 

Podcasts: Rice Students Takeover

The beauty of podcasts comes from their convenience — plug in your headphones, press play and go about your day — you’ll find that more often than not, podcasts will fall seamlessly into your schedule. While plenty of Rice students have turned to podcasts to break up the monotony of their routine, a handful of owls have traded headphones for microphones and started shows of their own. If, like me, you’ve struggled to fill the empty stretches of silence of your days in quarantine, consider listening to these four podcasts created by your fellow Rice students.   

A First Look into the Moody’s Fall 2020 Exhibition: States of Mind: Art and American Democracy

What really is democracy? What does it mean to be a democracy and what does it entail? The Moody Center for the Arts’s new fall exhibition, “States of Mind: Art and American Democracy,” seeks to answer these questions, although perhaps not in the way you might imagine. Moody’s newest exhibit, organized by Associate Curator Ylinka Barotto, introduces new perspectives and angles from artists telling their own stories in their own ways, particularly focusing on national issues affecting Texas. Its goal is to drive new thoughts and deeper revelations in viewers. Art, after all, is not about giving direct answers, but coming to your own.  

Bakerites channel anxieties into art in new exhibit, “PANDEMIA”

Any other year, Baker College’s P-Quad would be bustling with people gathering to eat, study, and socialize. COVID-19 restrictions this semester have subdued some of that energy, but recently, students and faculty across Rice have been flocking there for an unexpected reason. For the next month, P-Quad will be home to PANDEMIA: an outdoor art exhibit featuring students’ perspectives on the COVID-19 pandemic.